I have a issue

hi everyone
i kind of suck at retirement, i can't just sit and read a book or go for long walks on the beach and all that BS, i need to keep busy.

in Thailand, i bought land (ok, technically my wife did) and built a house (with a team of about 20 workers) and we made a reasonable profit selling it several years later.

now i'm wondering about doing the same in Mexico, except if i did it again, i would probably take it very slow and try do all but the heavy lifting parts by myself. at least in Mexico, I understand i can own the land outright in my name if more and 100km from the coast, and even coastal property, there is a work around.

i wonder if anyone else on the forum has built their own place and your experiences.

i actually wrote a book about building my place in Thailand, here

I am not doing it myself but there is a shortage of housing in Lake Chapala due to recent high demand and opportunity for building or renovating houses for re-sale. We know several other people that are doing it

Hello Tristana....i did it here in the state of Quintana Roo, Cancun, Playa del Carmen area for over 20 years. I am retired now, but still look for the occasional bargain. I specialize in beachfront only, as there is always a market for it.  Investment costs are considerably higher these days, but so are profits. The stories are many, and way to long to go into here. Like anywhere, if there's money to be made, there is competition, so you need to know your market, and have a good working knowledge of construction and real estate. There are always deals out there, and if you have enough capital, and no debt service, you can still do quite well here. People are always coming and going in this major tourist market. Buying and remodeling can also be quite lucrative, but again you need to know what you are doing. It's a beautiful place to live.