Recent uptick in crime in San Miguel de Allende

Howdy! 
My name is Susan.  I am a retired musician living in Las Vegas. I first came to SMA in the early eighties to visit the Art Institute.  I just loved it!  In fact I love everywhere I've been in Mexico.  I wasn't too sure about driving in Mexico City, but I soon realized that if I survived it, I was meant to be around for a while.  In fact, I've been on some pretty hairy rides. As an entertainer, I toured the Far East during the Viet Nam War and as a tourist I've spent a fair amount of time in New York and Europe, but it was all a piece of cake compared to Mexico City.  I hope it hasn't changed.  Nothing like heart stopping experiences to keep the juices flowing.
So, speaking of heart stopping, I've been reading articles in the local SMA paper about some pretty brutal murders, not to mention rapes and other violent crimes.  Some people have remarked that the U.S. papers put out a lot of hype about the crime in Mexico, but I would assume that the local paper is probably accurate.  My friends think I'm crazy to want to move there and they've done their best to talk me out of it. I remind them that we recently suffered through the worst mass murder in U.S. history. I get a "Well, ya, but, it's Mexico!" Well, ya, but it's Las Vegas. As a native Northern Californian who can't afford to go back, I don't intend to be the thing that happens in Las Vegas that stays in Las Vegas.
I really feel as if I belong in SMA. As I have here, I want to help the children who want to learn to play a stringed instrument, but whose families can't afford lessons. I also want to write a book. People have been telling me to write my autobiography since I was in my twenties. In looking back, I do have to admit that I've had a rather unusual life.
Honestly, for the last few days, I kind of gave up on the idea of making a move that I know would improve the quality of my life, but possibly put it in danger at the same time.  It's been depressing!  I'm writing this with the hope that I can get a balanced view from some of you who have been living the reality. Perhaps someday soon, I will be a part of that reality. It's either that or Nashville!  Although I'm a classically trained musician, I love country. Also, Vanderbilt has an excellent writing school. Even so, I'm hoping that San Miguel is my final destination.  Just not two weeks after I get there!
Thanks for listening.
Take care~

Hi,
We have been in SMA for the past 4 months, I have never felt unsafe here. The murders have all been drug related, I'm not aware of the rape reports. We just use common sense and awareness as we do anywhere in Mexico or the States. I am in California visiting now and I use the same awareness and caution here as I do in SMA. You are not guaranteed safety anywhere, I tell people when was the last time they had a mass shooting at a school or concert in Mexico?? NEVER!! Come and see for yourself and decide instead of reading about it in the papers? Only you can decide what feels right for you!
Good luck,
Apicasso

Thanks, Apicasso!  You're right!  I have to go and see for myself~

Vinvia,

We have been traveling to San Miguel for going on 12 years and have never worried about our safety any more than here in the states. To parrot apicasso, the ongoing trend of mass murders in the states coupled with the numbing of our collective senses makes me marvel at those who try and convince us Mexico as a whole is unsafe.

As you would in any city take common sense precautions. Don't flaunt what might be considered wealth in any environment where those with less than you might choose to take it, be it the strip in Vegas or the Ancha in San Miguel. Take a cab at night when alone. Don't deal drugs. ;)

The final thing we say to those looking at us with shock about our love of Mexico is, why would we buy a home there if it was not safe? (Friends with homes in European cities such as London and Paris should be more concerned than us!)

When you go, be sure to check out guitarist Gil Gutierez!

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart!