Help to take my wife to the Netherlands

Hi my wife and I are pensioners. I am dual nationality Dutch/British. My wife is South African and we were married in South Africa. Currenly my wife is in UK with me on a 6 month visitor visa. I now want her to go back with me to Holland to live, but I dont know what steps I need to do to make this happen. Is there someone who can tell me what to do step by step?

Welcome on board  :cheers:

Check out the immigration website on www.ind.nl
They have an English version as well.

Hi Thank you for replying to my plea for help, I have spent a tremendous amount of time on the website but confusion still reigns, 1 section will say my wife has the right to work and live in the Netherlands, another section says to get "verification for EU Law" another piece says to apply for permanent residence. What I would like to know is - what are the right procedures do we take to get my wife to the Netherlands (step by step please) i.e do we apply for tourist visa for her and then apply once there?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you've maintained your Dutch citizenship and still have a NL passport, I don't think your wife will have any problem entering Holland.  This link explains the process; at the bottom of the link is a step by step guide.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

It depends what you want: nationality, citizenship, working visa etc etc.
What is the purpose of your move to the Netherlands? If you are married for three years or more, and you have the Dutch nationality, she can apply for the nationality too but then she need to do exams for integration before applying.

Yes i still have my dutch nationality and dutch passport. My wife wants to live and hopefully work there. We are married just over a year. We have known each other from the 1970's and have documented proof. Hope this helps you a little more in giving me further advice.

I don't think you'll have a problem; you're wife may have to go through the integration process, but I'm not sure that's that case.  My advice is to contact the IND directly and explain your situation and get the response direct from those who will actually make the decision; this link will take you to their contact number.

Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for your imput, I am going to Holland next week to sort this out. Thanks

You do have the Dutch nationality. You will have to register and have an address in the Netherlands, first. Than, you can apply at the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation service. You have to be the so called "referent" for your wife. The application will have to be approved because you did live togehter in an other EU - country while your wife had a legal stay there.

Based on EU law you might also be succesfull when you apply together at the Dutch embassy in London. It might work but than there also happens to be directive to the consular personel to be prudent with this way to apply. Be sure to bring all the paperwork to convince the consul that you and your wife do have a legal title to enter and stay in the Netherlands.

Succes and good luck.

gz.