Close

Does the U.S have a tax treaty with Panama?

Hello All,

Trying to get a grasp on the tax implications of permanently moving to Panama. Not looking to be taxed twice. I am not sure if the foreign earned income exclusion applies. I am fortunate that I have a state pension and I would like to have some basic information prior to obtaining professional advice from a tax attorney. I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.  Thank you for any help that is offered.

Hi Ed

If they have one I do not see it listed on the IRS site which I would expect to be up to date
https:// www.irs.gov/ businesses/international-businesses/united-states-income-tax-treaties-a-to-z

Thanks for the response. That is why I posed the question, because I didn't see it either. Regardless, with Panama having a tax system, which is territorial I wouldn't be taxed twice. As long as that is the case it would be well worth the effort to move... Again, thanks for the response.

exactly  :D
of course being US citizen does not leave you with many options ... but yep unless you would work in Panama or maybe rent a property and generate a taxable income no double taxation ... though anyway I don't think the "pensionado" program allows people benefiting from it to get a job.

Expatriate health insurance in Panama

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Panama

Moving to Panama

Find tips from professionals about moving to Panama

Travel insurance in Panama

Enjoy stress-free travel to Panama