Close

Best online program for a TEFL/TESOL?

Anyone have any suggestions on a  reputable and recommended company or website to take courses for my TEFL? Looking at myTEFL.com now, but didn't know if any of you had any suggestions. Thanks!

I used Groupon and bought the TEFL Fullcircle 160 hour course. Easy and cheap. I'm not actually teaching English but got it as a backup. Good luck!

Is ESL in Vietnam something that you want to do for 6 months or something that you think you might want to do for 3-5 years?

Probably more than 6 months most definitely. Since I'm moving there, I understand my options for employment are limited with not truly understanding the Vietnamese language. What are you recommendations and best courses of action? Thanks again for the solid information!

theSpringZone :

Probably more than 6 months most definitely. Since I'm moving there, I understand my options for employment are limited with not truly understanding the Vietnamese language. What are you recommendations and best courses of action? Thanks again for the solid information!

I gave you my recommendation here:  http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=735197 and it was even seconded by Colinoscapee with whom I enjoy a respectful but sometimes contentious relationship.   :top:

Your lack of teaching experience, particularly with children, will be your biggest obstacle, and no those mini-courses that you taught to your enlisted men don't count.  They were a captive audience.  As someone who is collecting a retirement check that by itself is more than enough to live quite comfortably in Hanoi, you should certainly be able to sit through a 30 day course that will at least give you some hands-on experience.  That factor is completely lacking with online courses.

As far as occupations other than ESL, your options are somewhat limited by your not knowing Vietnamese.  This forum is frequently queried by people who want to work in Vietnam in fields that quite obviously would involve extensive communication with local people who may or may not speak English.  Public relations, where you have your degree, would be just such a job.  There are specialty niche jobs such as top level chefs, and some people are placed in the country by multi-nationals, but by and large it would be much more difficult to find any type of decent job by applying once you were in Vietnam.

On a different topic which might be relevant to you, you are rather fortunate that Tricare, unlike Medicare, will pay you back for medical expenses incurred overseas.  It may be a little complicated but it can be done.  Search for old posts by 70 years old or just search for the word Tricare.

I recently completed my TEFL English teaching course with theTEFLacademy. They are a reputable UK company. I had no problems with the online course, and is recognized worldwide and not expensive. Check out the website. I'm now teaching English here in Saigon and loving it.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam