Potentially moving over to Wellington, New Zealand from South Africa

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in Cape Town, South Africa. I am a electrical engineer. I have just received an offer from an engineering company in Wellington. I have read various blogs and comments about the cost of living in Wellington and how for example, if you are earning R36000 in Cape Town, to ensure that you maintain the same quality of life, one would need to earn approx R59000($6100) per month. I have been offered below that and now wondering is it worth while to move over with all the other additional costs of relocation etc.  I have read various comments about people struggling, month to month and unable to get out of the struggle as the pay is not sufficient for the cost of living. The basic aspects of groceries and accommodation is very high.

Would like the forums opinion on the day to day living and the actual life over in Wellington? With the $ are you able to travel abroad if you just a couple?

Thanks

Chelsea

I have been offered below that and now wondering is it worth while to move over with all the other additional costs of relocation etc.

Wellington is indeed considered as an expensive city to live in. However, people are surviving with less income as well.  I believe if you're earning $1000 a week ($4000 - $4500) a month, you can survive only if you're a couple (2 persons). The major expense will be your housing which you need to select carefully.

Secondly, wellington is a city of opportunities. Your partner can also find an appropriate work that may increase the monthly income accordingly.

Did you accept the offer, Chelsea?