Can I expect to get a job in the Netherlands or am I being naive?

Field: Programming

I live in Hungary, and I want to move to the Netherlands as my first option.

I have a degree in programming, but I barely have any work experience in programming. The jobs I've been doing I think look good on my resume, but they arent exactly programming jobs. I would qualify them as IT jobs, but I didn't have to write code, I just had to be tech savvy and learn systems and such.

Since I probably can't qualify to any programming jobs apart from junior or start up positions I'm wondering if they would hire me as a foreigner, or am I being too optimistic.

I am currently learning java by myself, which I heard is appealing(self teaching I mean, over someone just relying on their degree, plus java is very popular now).

So the bottom line is, if I have the knowledge and the confidence for the job is it realistic for me to get a (java)programming job in the Netherlands without any great work experience in the field, or am I being too optimistic?

Assuming you have an EU passport/residence permit, you have as much right as any other European citizen to move around Europe and look for work.

That said, it doesn't give you a job, you have to find that for yourself.  My advice is to check out the Jobs section at the top of the page; if there's nothing there, then use Google to find the recruiting agencies who are taking on people with your skill-set.

2 things will hold you back; lack of experience and lack of being able to speak the local language; they are both things you can do something about, so I'm sure you'll get there someday.

Best of luck on your journey. :)

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team