Need advice to find accommodation in Mexico City

Hello, I will be moving to Mexico City by the end of the year. I need some advice please:

1- I only need a 1 bedroom flat with good internet in a decent building in a decent area but cannot afford any luxury.

2- Please recommend areas, not too distant from the city centre where accommodation is affordable but not ugly. I lived in Colonias Cuahtemoc and Polanco as a child. I know Polanco is expensive but what about Cuauhtémoc today?

3- What are the best means to find a place to live? Estate Agents, Internet (which sites), Notices in shops and local agencies?

4- I know the best way is to go there first, to see the flats, and check them before hiring, so is it better to stay in an AirBNB place, booked from abroad first, for how long, a couple of weeks? Or is there a better alternative?

5- Is it tough finding a decent place, does it take time?

6- Do landlords have many requirements and is it tough to meet them to rent a place?

7- Any warnings or other advice?

8- I speak Spanish so that is not a problem.

Thank you

ToBoliviaWithLove wrote:

Hello, I will be moving to Mexico City by the end of the year. I need some advice please:

1- I only need a 1 bedroom flat with good internet in a decent building in a decent area but cannot afford any luxury.

2- Please recommend areas, not too distant from the city centre where accommodation is affordable but not ugly. I lived in Colonias Cuahtemoc and Polanco as a child. I know Polanco is expensive but what about Cuauhtémoc today?

3- What are the best means to find a place to live? Estate Agents, Internet (which sites), Notices in shops and local agencies?

4- I know the best way is to go there first, to see the flats, and check them before hiring, so is it better to stay in an AirBNB place, booked from abroad first, for how long, a couple of weeks? Or is there a better alternative?

5- Is it tough finding a decent place, does it take time?

6- Do landlords have many requirements and is it tough to meet them to rent a place?

7- Any warnings or other advice?

8- I speak Spanish so that is not a problem.

Thank you

It seems like you have already answered some of your own questions. The AirBNB would be a good start, yes it takes time. The internet is not all that helpful. As you know people in Mexico are more face to face than on line. My friend who just found a new place here in Campeche did a lot of looking , reading local papers, word of mouth and e-bay It was about 2-3 months before he found the right place, but he has dogs and needed a house.

Since the earthquake, I'm not sure what the status of places in Mexico Cd would be. So I would recommend going there and looking. You have many advantages. It sounds like you are a native and you speak spanish.

You can check housing on this site ( top of page) and see if there are any places in your price range. It can be tough finding a place depending on what your expectations and requirements are. The owners are all individuals , so you have to negotiate on who will pay for what etc. If you have pets you would need a house apartments only allow one small dog.

Look carefully in Mexico CD there have been issues with many robberies there according to a friend who has family there

Buena suerte

Thanks for this