Car Rental Advice

Hello,

I'm visiting Malta with my family during the Christmas holidays and we were thinking to rent a car to move around. Which company would you advise as for cheapest price and reliability?

Thank in advance!

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you! Do you know some companies so I can search their websites?

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please + register in the business directory

Try Ryanair , never found anyone as cheap.

Could you send me a pm with more info, too? Might be an interesting option for my next stay...

RayAucote wrote:

Isn't an Airbus 320 a bit big for driving round Malta?

No other suggestion then?

For Gozo use Mayjo, they will also deliver a car to you at the airport and collect it when you depart.
Otherwise just Google MIA car rental, but beware of some of the big names which are actually franchises and will do their best to get every cent out of you with excesses of up to €1500 and daily insurance rates up to €23 a day!

Ray

In Malta, I use Joes Garage (M'scala and Zabbar - very very cheap when renting an old car like Kia Avella - and you do not need to worry about any minor scratches and dents  :top:  ) or Goldcar.
Ryanair or WizzAir also have pretty good prices, but in case you want to add an insurance, book this directly with the rental company.
The reason is, Ryan and Wizz use their own insurance company and in case of an accident, you have to pay for the damage to the rental company and afterwards you can try to claim it back from the insurance company.
When I'm abroad, I prefer Sixt (20% discount if you have an online account with them) and Europcar and with full insurance, they handle everything by themselves - you only have to return the damaged car  ;)

Thank you All!

I'd beware of ***... Have used them several times, but the last time I did (last summer for 10 days) they tried to rip me off by not releasing the €1300 they had charged (or actually withheld) from my credit card as an excess. When I noticed the amount still hadn't been returned a month after I had returned the car, I drove to their office at the airport to check why (I was still in Malta at that time)  - they guy apologised and said there had been a "mistake", and they'd return the amount within two weeks (which they eventually did) - but still, they'd kept my 1300 euros for almost 2 months, and who knows what would have happened if I hadn't showed up at their office in person... (I tried sending them an e-mail at first, but haven't received a reply to date!)

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Name deleted to avoid defamation

*** do not seem to have a good reputation generally, with many reports of the 'ring fenced' excess not being returned at all for even the most minor of reasons.
Not sure if they are run in Malta by the former owners of 'Green Motion' who had a very doubtful reputation.

I now only use rental companies who do not take a deposit to cover the excess, such as Mayjo.

Ray

I'll never use *** again, gave me a car with a bad tire, bad suspension, out of alignment wheels.

Then the idiot who has to fix this tells me there is no such thing as a slow leak in tires they either go flat or stay hard no in between and I have to pay to get it fixed as its my fault after I had the car 30 minutes.  Some shouting and screaming later they fixed it.

They're awful, avoid.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
RayAucote wrote:

Isn't an Airbus 320 a bit big for driving round Malta?

Except Ryanair don't operate A320's; B737's only, but I like the joke. :)

Don't blame the company(ies), blame the local staff  :P

For any reason, as soon as a global acting company comes to Malta, they fu** it up.
Even when I've been in California, I prefer Sixt - a bit more expensive than Thrifty, Firefly, Goldcar etc., but always reliable, always trustworthy, easy to book and they always provide an outstanding service ... Service from Sixt Malta (airport branch) is desastrous . They even manage to make you feel like being a nuisance to them. I believe the Malta business has no impact on their global figures, so they gave it in local hands - and forgot it. What a pity ...

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is prohibited on Expat.com

You have replied to posts from 2017.

Linda,
it is always a great idea to compare prices. However, if you promote a certain company this means business. How much did this company pay you for promoting them on this site?