Advice from UK expats pls!

Hello everyone,

Just got back from MAU and been offered the job I was interviewed for. Very excited as it's such a fantastic place!

I'm arguing a little over money with them and just wanted to know if anyone from the UK has any insight into the differences in terms of income Tax etc. If I'm paying a lot less tax & NI then it's worth it, but if not then I'm not so sure.

My understanding is that in UK It's;

20% income tax (at least for me) not including tax free allowance
11% N.I

In MAU it;

15% tax
No other taxes?

Can anyone confirm as it would be fairly critical to me accepting the job.

Sorry, it's not a very exciting topic :(
I will post some more exciting things soon hopefully! :)

Hi Strawb :)

I can recommend you thise link for information on income tax in Mauritius:
http://www.gov.mu/portal/sites/mra/index.htm

Regards
Armand

You are correct with the tax rate at 15% and allowance with one dependent. If you have no dependents, then the allowance is Rs255,000.

There is no NI or equivalent.

If you are given a car, this will be taxed as a benefit, but it is tiny compare to the UK benefit you would suffer. I think you are taxed on the benefit equal to Rs48,000, so tax = Rs7,200. Peanuts compared to the real benefit you get from receiving a car (if you are lucky enough to get one).

If you are given an overseas travel allowance, this is non-taxable upto 5% of annual salary or something like that. Try to push to get this, if not in your package already.

And there is no council tax.....

You will never pay more income tax here than you did in the UK!

Thanks. That's made me smile! :)

What is the overseas travel allowance? I'm being given free yearly tickets home for me and partner. Is that the same thing?

Yes its the same thing. Good luck!

Not sure if this is true but recently heard that claiming dependents has been changed to only apply for Mauritians not for expats.  I am trying to find out if this is correct.

We heard the same.My husband were told that as an an expat we cannot claim for dependants anymore.