Interesting customs and traditions in Nepal

Hello everyone,

Living outside of our home country requires us to adapt to a new culture and different traditions. What are some of the cultural specifics in Nepal?

What are some of the traditional beliefs and cultural practices that you have encountered in Nepal that are different to your home country?

Tell us a bit more about some of the customs that you've found interesting, such as communication style, food, greetings, laws, or festivities.

What were your initial reactions and how did you adapt to them?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Oh, my God, where to start? Everything in Nepal is so drastically different than anything we, in the West know, or have been accustomed to. It's like day and night. Like you say, in terms of style, food, greetings, laws, festivals, you name it, it's a world apart! In most western countries, for example, we traditionally shake hands when we meet or go to greet someone. In Nepal, it's the well known Namaste sign - and note - contrary to us - without physical contact here - at a safe distance.  Nepali food tends to be spicy, pirro like they say, the opposite of hamburger heaven or boeuf bourgignon or fish and chips, that's for sure. In Nepal, nepalis told me they give chilis to children as from the age of 4-6 and their food generally tends to be highly seasoned for that reason. People there are used to it. (I can't eat dalbhat or digest their other spicy food for that reason) We, westerners, are simply not used to it. As for laws, excuse me for being blunt...but what laws? Of course nepali laws are on the books, but like a lawyer will tell you, each law in Nepal will typically be subject to "75 different interpretations" (his words, not mine). To make things worse, corruption is so common, in judicial matters, fair and equal justice is a fairy tale here. And with rampant corruption in the judicial system, written laws have no chance against these odds.  As for festivals, Nepal is in the Guiness book of records in this department. In the West, we have Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter etc., but in Nepal, each festival tends to be drawn out in time - hardly ever a one day affair - and their number is endless. Sometimes I get the feeling that every other day is some sort of holiday! Fine if you are a visitor to Nepal, but it is hardly conducive to trying to work or be in business here. I saw this in our little office here.
In terms of attitude and human relations, I have always felt that despite the number of years or even decades that one spends in Nepal, there is like a divide between "you" and "them". No crossing of the Rubicon.  I think that a foreigner can spend 20 years here in Nepal, but for most nepalis, you - the foreigner - are still and always will be a "Bidushi" to them - in their eyes, and the way they see you. I have come to the conclusion that this divide between you and them can never really be completely done away with, no matter how hard you try. Besides, people who have been in Nepal can confirm that the nepalis have another term when referring to foreigners among themselves:  - a "non person" -  So let's be honest, it's very difficult not to say impossible to be "one of them" particularly as nepalis put us in a box, with different national labels or cultural tags.  So the bottom line is like I said "you" and "them" - Besides, I really think the nepalis want it that way, so little hope of crossing over of lines, let's face it, guys!
People often say that the nepalis are friendly and smiley. It's true. But do not be deceived by outward appearances. The average nepali very much tends to see dollar signs in your bidushi eyes, so why wouldn't they smile and put on a nice face in order to try and attract you - if they think they can get something from you? That's being very clever, and they are masters at it.

True, nepalis see $$$$$$ signs in our westerners eyes, and for them every single bidushi is as rich as Croesus, without exception from their perspective. It never even enters their minds that this might not be the case! Nepalis are takers and simply stated, non-nepalis (their opposites) are givers. Visit Nepal with deep pockets. Help exhaust the wish of every adept of Laxmi - Goddess of Wealth and Fortune - before, during and after that great and joyous Festival held in Nepal every year.

Go to Nepal, be on your way
See Nepal, no other way,
Speak nepali, or try anyway,
Pay and play, nepali way,
Eat dalbhat all the way,
Drink Sakhi on the way,
Barter, you'll lose anyway,
End of day, get out of the way,
Stay in Nepal, fall by the way,
Better go home, easier that way,
Go home, cheaper that way,
Live longer, tis better that way,
Laughing to bank, all the way!
Namaste, namaste, namaste!

As an Elder person the traditions of caring for their elders is a true blessing. It is very different then here in the West. I have felt loved and accepted by my Nepalese family. Does my money help support them. Yes but I wouldn't want to have it any other way because they care for me and my money makes their lives easier and makes my life easier as well.

That's the way to go - helping others by giving directly. The mistake most foreigners do is to channel their donations through NGO's. The great advantage of giving directly is that you can be 100% sure, the money will always end up in the right place. By giving to NGO's, it's more like 50-50 sure. Regrettably these days,  number of clever nepali orgs (typically big guns of those associated with larger Kathmandu travel agencies or hotel business) use charity funnel as a way to skim the milk and line their own pockets. Racketeers really.
What you are doing is great. Keep up the good work.

Colleen, I know what you mean. I am also an old lady living in Nepal and have a wonderful Nepali family. There is a fact most people don't realize. Every rich person caught a lucky break or he would still be poor. I guess the exception would be the robber barrens from America; they just stole their way to the top.

It is such a pleasure to be with a family who really respects me and treats me like I am their own family. I couldn't be here without my Nepali family. We have 3 teens and they are so sweet, not like the teens I've lived with in the US. Well, I have to say my oldest son was amazing. The big difference here is I can give $20 and they will buy a jacket and bring change back; they ask for so little.

However, as we tell people how wonderful the Nepali are, there is a flip side we need to watch for. Many Nepali, mostly in Ktm and mostly people who are well connected and have money, try to capture a tourist of their own. They will say right away that they want you to live with them and have a nice room for you. Don't fall for it. Make sure you get to know the family a long time first. These people who try to convince you to move in with them are con artists. It won't end well for you.

As I read the comments above, some of them smack of Western arrogance. Imagine yourself in your own country and having someone come into your place of employment from a far away place with lots of money. Maybe he's looking for a supplier to spend a million dollars with. Every head turns upon that person's arrival. Everyone secretly hopes for some recognition from the rich foreigner. Everyone in the lower capacities wants to bring the person a cup of coffee or to be assigned to showing the person around. Can you expect any less from people here?

When we come from such arrogance it makes getting money to fall from you pockets a bit more fun for the Nepali. If we treat them with respect and keep our egos in check it's so much better to make long-term relationships.

I put 20 rupees in a beggar's bowl. I leave another 20 rupees at lunch, over-pay for an imported scarf from China and think I've done something so wonderful. These people are our equals who, through no fault of their own, were born in a country that missed the Industrial Revolution.

Maybe when we are finished being fascinated by the differences in a culture it's time for that return flight. Maybe it's that lure of a Big Mac, or the familiar call, "Attention Walmart Shoppers,.."

7 years next week and I'm still fascinated with Nepal. When I'm no longer fascinated I will probably go back or go somewhere else.

You can say that again about Nepal having missed the Industrial Revolution. That's an understatement with an economy going nowhere any time soon. But Nepal can legitimately claim to have their first John D. Rockefeller with one of their citizens, Mr. Binod Chaudary, who's made it to the Forbes List of the wealthiest men on earth, with a fortune he amassed of 1.3 billion US dollars.
Nearer to us in everyday life, it's best to hold on to your own pocket, guys! The trait has nothing to do with America. It comes straight from India, and it's not the kind of trait I appreciate one bit! Small robber barons to watch out for by way of scams and rip-offs abound, but that ain't nice when it happens to you. It's easy to retort with "well, go home if you don't like it" type of philosophy, but hardly conducive to bringing more visitors to Nepal, which Nepal sorely needs. Number of visitors never seems to decisively top 800,000  mark a year. We can ask ourselves why?

yeah, it's about time more nepalis assumed their own responsibility for current state of things, and not always so dependent on foreign aid. Lethargy has its limits. It's like a child. At some point he has to grow up!