Interesting customs and traditions in Egypt

Hello everyone,

Living outside of our home country requires us to adapt to a new culture and different traditions. What are some of the cultural specifics in Egypt?

What are some of the traditional beliefs and cultural practices that you have encountered in Egypt that are different to your home country?

Tell us a bit more about some of the customs that you've found interesting, such as communication style, food, greetings, laws, or festivities.

What were your initial reactions and how did you adapt to them?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

To, me adapting to Egypt was easy. I had a few bumps and tough rides in the beginning, but quickly learned by crying and feeling, oh, so sorry for myself is not going to change a darn thing.
Coming from South Africa, the concept of a Friday of no work here in Egypt was very different. I, at times lost track of a day or two, but like I said, I learnt to adapt. In SA our weekends is a Saturday and Sunday, with work and school starting on a Monday. Here it is different, a Sunday will be our Monday back in SA.
I come from a Lebanese family, so food and culture was not different for me. Looking back at the past year, I am actually shocked that I adapted so quickly. I am traveling to SA for the summer holidays, yes, our summer holidays starts now in South Africa.
Sand, sea and the smell off coconut tanning lotion and barbeque fires will be top priority for majority of holiday makers.
See you all in January.
Be blessed and stay safe
Regards and Duas
Jamz

I've learned about the crying and feeling bad for myself too. It doesn't work. It appears to fall on deaf ears - and it just pushes those people away from wanting to communicate with you. It's Almost like they've lost respect for you.

Also-as a female-never never say ‘I love you' first. It takes something away from the men there it seems. They want to control the pace at which the relationship progresses. (At least in my experience).