Do and don't in Guadeloupe

Are you living in Guadeloupe? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Guadeloupe?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Guadeloupe?

Thanks!

DO try the local food, ask questions about the traditions, greet before asking any questions, respect the environment, be patient when going to any administrations(people in Guadeloupe are very laid-back, we must have a no-stress policy somewhere...) , wake up early to do sightseeing if you don't have you own transport as the last buses are around 6pm only!(make sure you check the time with the driver), visit Grande-terre(with the best beaches, best nightlife, best markets...) and Basse-terre(with the beautiful rivers,natural parcs, la Soufriere volcano...) are there's a completely different scenery and temperature. the  DO's list isn't abviously exhaustive but Do have a smashing time!

DON'T throw away anything on the floor always use the bins provided, don't take pictures of locals without asking them permission, don't smoke in public areas, don't take any plants from any natural parks as they are all protected, the don't list isn't exhaustive but sometimes the best way is just to use our common sense and think on how we want people to treat us and our country.
And if you unsure about something it's always better to ask. In Guadeloupe, we are very proud of our island and will be very helpful and friendly to newcomers.

So, enjoy your trip or new life in Guadeloupe!for more infos check out my group on facebook "work live and play in Guadeloupe

i can't find your group on facebook! do you have a link?

thank you very much for the information! how easy would it be for an 18 year old to find work on the island? I am an EU citizen.

Hello mattlee24 and welcome to Expat.com!

As this post is dated 2010, why don't you start a new thread on the forum?
This may help in visibility.;)

Harmonie.:)

Is there a new forum for that? Thank you for your help!

Hello sonyael.

Welcome to Expat.com!

What do you mean sonyael?

This post is from 2011. You can share about Do's and Don't's in Guadeloupe or start a new thread on the Guadeloupe forum :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurelie,

Thanks for your answer. Let's continue here.
I would just add, do not take it personally if people do not seem to be friendly with you!

Mattlee, in What area are you looking for? Maybe I can help...

you forgot to  say, if you drive a car then don't worry about any rules of the road, just do as you like and don't worry about pulling out onto a main road as the person driving on the main rd will stop then we can cause a 10 km tail back. also don't consider personal space, see if you can touch the car infront with your bumper , it is a natonal sport !