Extend tourist visa for Americans

Good afternoon all,

Who has experience extending their tourist visa? I found this list below on a website that gave instructions on how to extend the tourist visa. I don't understand why or how one would purchase their return flight if they are hoping to leave later, but aren't sure that they will be granted this permission. Can someone offer me some insight into this process?

Original passport
Visa extension form
Payment receipt with bar code
Copy of credit card statement (with credit limit circled) or bank statement from the last 30 days
Entry/exit card (given at arrival)
Air ticket out of the country showing the date and flight number

Noel

You may have to purchase a return ticket that allows you to change the date. I would call the airline and find out what your options are to change it.

Jim

I went to the Federal Police station at the airport in Rio. There is a form to fill out, and of course a fee. They extended my stay for an additional 90 days. You must do this before your original visa has expired. I was also told that once you do this, and the additional 90 days are up, you must leave an can't return for a period of 1 year. This was back in 2010.  I don't know if things are different now.

My first hand experience is the following
I entered on November 11th 2016, came into Rio, without a return Ticket. I went to the Federal Police Station at the airport in Porto Seguro Bahia international airport. Asked for an extension on about February 3rd.

They took my passport, and gave me a form to fill out  as well as my passport back along with another form to take to Banco do Brasil to pay a small fee (i honestly don't remember how much the fee for the extension was, but it was minimul) and Told Me to return on February 7th or 8th ( Was the 7th, I just looked at passport and Extension Stamp)

I went home, filled out the form, went to the bank and paid fee. Went back to the Federal Police Station on the 7th of Feb . They took receipt of payment, and my passport, asked me absolutely No questions, NO return or exit ticket nor any Bank or credit card statements, they made a new stamp inside passport with new date of February 7th 2017, told me "Obrigardo " I likewise said the same and left.

When I came back and entered thru Recife on November 18th 2017 with ABSOLUTELY NO issues ,after Overstaying about 155 days past my extension (I left on October 25th 2017), they stamped my visa with new entry date of November 18 2017, with NO return Ticket, no bank statements, no questions ...told me Obrigardo and that was it...And I write this to you from my home in Arraial d'Ajuda Bahia.

I've heard supposed horror stories but I have found them to be gossip, 6th hand info, unreliable and not even close to truth...maybe others had issues while here with law or government I don't know. But usually people cry and wine have some undisclosed issue. Anyhow My story is mine, from about 3 weeks ago of my entry.

I hope the candid truth helps,
Lawrence

Also,
I know what the websites say about this, and tech may be the letter of the law. But I have never found any one within the government here to follow the law. I have never had any friends or others i know or have met that have had to do all that. I think the Brazillian Federal Police know that people adjust their stays allnthe time And to have to adjust or redo a plane ticket is expensive.  And also read my first reply to you. They never have made me show all that crap. If they do to others in sure it's cause they have given them some reason to not trust them and to be suspicious of them.

Thanks so much for sharing the info, Lawrence!

I'm currently in a predicament, My 90 days is up tomorrow Dec 20th 2017. I tried two different times to extend my stay over the past 2 weeks and was told different things to do each time. I even went and paid the 90 day extension at the bank of Brazil. I finally went this morning to the Federal police at the airport in Campinas and they said they could not extend because I came in on a business visa not tourist. Before I left the USA I researched a few sites on the web and only thing I found was that you could come to Brazil using a business visa for tourist purposes.  I went through all this trouble to try and extend it properly so I could avoid any ugly stamps on my passport. A friend of mine was like just pay the penalty when you leave or when  I return and stay the month extra without any hassles. Well I mentioned that to the person I was talking to at the federal police and he said as of 2 weeks ago the price drastically has been raised from $8 real a day to $100 real a day. Any suggestions? I'm currently staying in Americana with my girlfriend, I'm going to try going back to the place I started which is the Federal police station in Piracicaba and see if they can help me.

I was told the same thing about the increase in the daily fine for overstaying your visa. Last time I tried to extend my visa, the federal police in Salvador told me that I should come back on the last or second to last day before my current visa expires. They said if I tried to renew that day, I would not be able to take advantage of staying as long. They explained that I could no longer extend a visa in advance for a future date. This sounded irrational to me, but maybe the rational is that with this system  I am more likely to overstay my visa & therefore pay the government money. I don't have any info on business visa, sorry.

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully tomorrow will go smoother than today at a different federal police station. At this point I'm starting to get concerned about when I do leave Brazil which will be a few days after the new year. Which will be approximately 15 days after my visa has expired unless by a miracle tomorrow goes well and they agree to extending my stay.

Good luck!

I came here at May with my business visa and extended for another 90 days.

We have lots of colleagues to extend their business visa here, no problem at all.

Well it pays to try a different place if you have one close enough. Yesterday I tried to get my business visa extended at the Federal police at the Viracopos Airport and waited an hour and within 5 minutes of calling me they refused to extend it. Said it was because it was business visa and I came down as a tourist or something along those lines. They also told me about the higher per day penalty for overstaying. I decided to try my luck at the Federal police in the town of Piracicaba, where unannounced to me only allow 15 people a day. I did get there very early (7am) but that was mainly to avoid any traffic, when the doors opened at 8am I was number 17 and was told to try again tomorrow. With the help of my Brazilian girlfriend we hung around and pleaded with them and gave them all the paperwork and 3 hours later they came out and handed me back my visa with an extension of 90 days. So I was very lucky and it did pay to try another location.

https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/gru2/gru?nac=1&rec=2

Is the document I have to fill out to pay for my visa to be extended? If so, can anyone assist me with how to fill it out?

I believe that is it. I went to the Federal Police Station at the airport in Porto Seguro Bahia and they printed out the form which had Bank of Brazil info on it such as barcode and fee. Which I in turn filled out, took to Banco do Brasil and they gave me recipe necessary for the Federal Police.
I would suggest going to the Federal Police Station that services your area for this matter, specifically to the nearest international airport where they will Have a federal police station that handles this. They will give you exactly the forms needed and required form for the Bank.

Noelstr8,

Cute photo! Here´s how to fill that out. That is for the extension of your stay that costs 110.44 reais..

Bairro
barrio or district

Cidade - city
UF - the state abbreviation: Bahia would be BA

País de Nacionalidade: Nationality (USA) Estados Unidos da América

Email
your e-mail

Nome da Mãe
mother´s name

Nome do Pai
father´s name

Unidade Arrecadadora - Are you in Bahia? Then look at the agencies in Bahia which are enumerated…

Codigo Receita STN

0094 - PEDIDO DE PRORROGACAO DO PRAZO DE ESTADA

Valor Total
R$

Thank you so much for the help!

Thank you for the tips!

You're very welcome.

robal

Ok...

I do not remember who but someone here at expat had identical issue with extending business visa...they went to a couple Federal Police Stations  And the last one they went to gave them extension...i know you posted this a few weeks ago, am interested how this worked out for you?

I know there is much discussion about the new law and overstay of visa as well as extending visa under new law. And I Overstayed about 155 days past year.
My wife and I went to the Federal Police Station at the airport in Porto Seguro Bahia international airport Monday to ask about this as my visa will be ending in a few weeks and I need to get it extended again.
The woman who we delt with was kind and polite. Took my info from my passport, name, passport number etc...
Gave my wife her number and told her to call her today (as she was busy at time)
But today my wife called, the Federal Police employee told my wife for me to come in on the 15th of next month and she will extend it for 90 days...same as last year, no issues
So nothing there has changed with extensions...
If anyone has issues regarding this at a different city, I would recommend taking a weekend trip here to Porto Seguro Bahia...it is a major tourist town for Brazil and the Federal Police Station here is very friendly and lenient...Porto Seguro derives 90% of its income from tourists and they Want You to stay here, I promise! They last year were very kind, no questions about anything nor required me to show anything other than passport and fill out form, same as this year...

Yes, I was also able to get my tourist visa extended here in Bahia.

Thank you for the reply...Bahia, no matter where it seems to be the law enforcement is very nice, polite and easy to work with...they know the law of Brazil and are easy to work with foreigners as they Wish to keep the foreign money flowing into Bahia, I have delt with Federal Police in Salvador and Porto  Seguro Bahia and have found them always accommodating and pleasant

Also nice outcome. You guys in Bahia are indeed lucky...

Hehehe
I don't know about lucky...the folks at the Federal Police Station here are trained well I think...they only do what the law truly allows...the police can do this for anyone anywhere within Brazil but seems that in other areas they just don't know how to apply the law, they are not trained well and don't know the laws...i think

Any word on that girl from The Netherlands? My wife is curious and frankly so am i

And, As i said in another post. I would Suggest Federal Police Station at Porto Seguro Bahia international airport if People have Problem Extending their Visa in another city.
A cheap flight here to Porto seems a very small price to pay to be able to achieve this. The employees are the same as last year, meaning no turn over at that office...they are all quite knowledgeable about the law, they do not make you bring in copies of all kinds of things that some other Police make you show such as they have never asked me for income, credit card statements, bank statement nor proof of Exit Flight...
I also have the direct phone number for a woman that works there if anyone needs it to ask her a question...she is quite friendly, for me she has looked into my questions and had my wife call her back when she has an answer...anyhow, I hope this may help someone in the future
Lawrence

Those Fed's are probably Bahianos. You know, the most laid back people I've known in Brazil.
Those are the people that that girl from Holland
need.

robal

It must be all that salty air that makes them so tame and considerate. That reminds me that I should be living by the beach and eat more seafood. I'm going to the beach next Wednesday and stay for a week. The beaches
though in Rio Grande do Sul are not that beautiful as Santa Catarina or Bahia.

Lawrence,

Not a word... She just disappeared. I'm only
hoping that she took our advice!

Your correct...they are very laid back and nice people here in Bahia...she should use these guys

I live at a Pousada (rent a ONE bedroom little Casa) here in Bahia on the beach..it is a very beautiful place, quite peaceful...and amazingly inexpensive (I think)

Just goes to show, there are very few absolute "no's" here in the land of the jeitinho, as long as you're pleasant and persistent.  Especially if he speaks Portuguese, the "kindly brontosaurus" can carry you far. ;-)

robal wrote:

Lawrence,

Not a word... She just disappeared. I'm only
hoping that she took our advice!

Amen!  I don't like thinking about the downside.

I extend offer for you to visit here, I think you would enjoy. There is a restaurant down the street that has a lobster dinner for two, complete meal, wonderful for only 100 Real

Your so right...being persistent and polite at the same time goes a long way

If it's a monthly rental, that one bedroom by the beach would cost about 1200 reais in Rio Grande do Sul...

I pay it a Year at a time for 20k REAL...
Almost the same as there...thats not a bad price 1200...

I like the beach and the seafood that goes along and definitely I would enjoy it.

I used to live at a 4 br house along the beach in Santa Catarina for 2 yrs. It was a blast as I watched the fisherman hauled their nets full of fish in front of my house. Charcoal grilled fish
after!

Thanks for the invitation! We still might meet
one of these days. Veteran to another...

If you smile and be very charming, believe me,
you can almost have your way on eveything in
Brazil!