Cali Expat needs to escape for 180day max stay. Anyone know Ecuador?

Hello. As the title sates, I need to get out for most of December and come back in January. I live in Cali and wondered if anyone was aware of the travel conditions between Cali and Quito o Esmeraldas? I know there are some hot spots around Pasto and off the beaten paths but planning on Buseta from Cali to Esmeraldas o Quito or flying to Quito and bussing out of there if I need some H2O.

Any ideas? I know several families close to there but have no relationship strong enough to support a one month stay,

Esmeraldas o Quito?
Bus o fly?
Yes $$ are an issue.

handymantulsa wrote:

I live in Cali and wondered if anyone was aware of the travel conditions between Cali and Quito o Esmeraldas? I know there are some hot spots around Pasto and off the beaten paths but planning on Buseta from Cali....

Bus or fly?

You rang?

As far as safety, deciding whether to bus or fly .. the answer is fly.  You avoid the twisting mountain roads in southern Colombia and the night-time boogey men.

If you do go by ground transportation, avoid nighttime travel at all costs.

cccmedia in Ipiales, Colombia, near the Ecuador-Colombia Rumichaca border crossing

In order to avoid nighttime travel, you may need to break up your trip into two parts.  Traveling the roads from Cali, Colombia, to Quito, Ecuador, is too much to do in one day during daylight hours.  Remember to factor in time for visits to government offices at the border to get your passport stamped twice.

I suggest that you consider overnighting in the border city of Ipiales, Colombia.  There is plenty of lodging on Carreras 3, 5 and 6 (hotels on 5 and 6 are in downtown) provided you don't pull into town on a holiday weekend.  Reservations are available at booking.com ....

Think about a two-night stay in Ipiales.  That way, you avoid two long travel days in succession .. and have the opportunity to visit the number-one must-see landmark outside Ipiales -- the magnificent basílica literally built into the canyon at Las Lajas.

cccmedia in Ipiales, Colombia

Thank you. I am cutting it close on 180 day max but might stay on return trip. Thanks for heads up on the boogey men. I assumed it was similar to what I was warned about in Buenaventura. I will likely fly. Good tips.