Visa for Vietnam

Hello,

I am planning a move to teach English in Vietnam and have been told that a letter from the government would be provided to me in order to obtain my visa.

Does this mean that I would be paying for the entry stamp or would I have to purchase an actual visa at the time of arrival?

Since I have only purchased a tourist visa for 30 days on my own previously I have no idea how this other process works and where to look up the costs.

Could someone please help me with this information?

Do you have a firm job offer?  If not, you should get at least a 90 day visa to be sure while job seeking.  Even the paperwork to obtain a Work Permit will likely take more than 30 days.  I understand that a business visa is better but that is outside my realm of experience.

the company that i am supposed to be working for said that they would provide me with a letter from the government and that I would show that at the airport to pay for and receive my visa.

however, i wanted to check process and costs but there are so many side businesses that I could not find a base price that I would pay at the time of arrival.

The person that I have been in contact with mentioned that it should be cheaper for me to purchase a visa upon entry with the letter from the VN gov. then if I were to purchase it here in the states prior to departure...

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Everything sounds perfectly in order for you. No worries.

Your employer is inviting you on a business visa.
They will arrange the Govt. paper (their official invitation) for you.

Now when you arrive at the airport, you just pay the Stamping Fee to get your visa-on-arrival (business visa) pasted on your passport. That's it.

I reckon, they will sponsor a 3-month single entry b-visa for you.
In that case you pay $25 in cash at the visa counter.
www.vietnamsvisa.com
(check the last column 'Paid in cash upon arrival')

Hope this info helps.
:cheers:

Hey!

It is so awesome that people are actually responding to my concerns and questions. It definitely makes traveling so far away from the familiar more comfortable.

I did notice the different prices for visa stamping I just was not sure if the stamp was the actual visa and there are so many websites offering a 'visa and document' service it can become confusing...

My contact with the employer had been limited and because it is such a a big change for me I just wanted to look into it that way I had a better understanding about the process because it is all new to me.

I also noticed that the waiting time for the document seemed to vary in opinion from person to person and some of the posts that I had been reading were a few years old. Do you know about how long it usually takes for an employer to provide the letter?

When applying for the visa myself I was able to receive the letter in 3 days. I also wanted to know what documents will they be asking from me at the time of arrival for me to receive the visa?

You don't need any special documents other than normal passport and other similar ID to enter the country on a tourist or business visa.

luvfeelslike wrote:

I also wanted to know what documents will they be asking from me at the time of arrival for me to receive the visa?

After you arrive and begin work, you will need certain documents to obtain a work permit and temporary residence card to replace your entry visa.  From the website of VUS, one of the major chain schools:

1. Criminal background in Vietnam (is needed if a foreign teacher has resided in Vietnam for over 6 months)
2. Notarized criminal background [from your home country.]
3. Notarized undergraduate degree
4. Notarized TESOL certificate or equivalent
5. Four passport sized color photos
6. Medical check – up certificate

Number one will not apply in your case.
Five and six are obtained in Vietnam.  Your employer will tell you where to go for the physical.

So that leaves 2, 3, and 4.  Due to recent changes in policy by the UK government you will no longer be able to notarize these in Vietnam and have them certified locally.  Instructions on how to do these are on the website of the Vietnamese Embassy in London.  Here is their site:  http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php? … GALISATION  If you live anywhere near London, I would strongly suggest that you hand carry the documents to them rather than deal by mail.  Also be sure that they both translate and certify.  The embassy in the US failed to translate my diploma so I had to do it again in VN and this option is now closed off to you per policy of Her Majesty's Diplomatic Service. 

Just a parenthetic comment but it is really unfortunate that the UK embassy and consulate no longer provides notarization of documents.  From a Vietnamese press article:  https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel-lif … 57080.html  I was particularly amused by the note that "According to the embassy, the changes will help to free up time for British consular staff to provide more support for its most vulnerable citizens such as minors, the elderly, people with mental health problems and victims of serious crime."  I can't really imagine the staff is overwhelmed with unaccompanied UK minors and demented elderly floating around Vietnam.  :joking: Sounds like just an excuse to cut services to me.  My sympathies to you in VN who are British subjects.  Perhaps you might ask an entity like the British Council to lobby the government on your behalf.

luvfeelslike wrote:

It is so awesome that people are actually responding to my concerns and questions. It definitely makes traveling so far away from the familiar more comfortable.

:top:
That's why we are here on expat.com.
Our expat forum members are always here to listen to your questions and concerns and are ready to give you helpful information to make your expat experience hassle-free and enjoyable, as much as possible.   :cheers: 

I did notice the different prices for visa stamping I just was not sure if the stamp was the actual visa and there are so many websites offering a 'visa and document' service it can become confusing...

My contact with the employer had been limited and because it is such a a big change for me I just wanted to look into it that way I had a better understanding about the process because it is all new to me.

Yes, all those websites (travel agencies) are basically 'selling'  the letter of approval needed for tourist and business visas on arrival.
Those sites belong to private travel/visa agencies.

They charge a service fee to process your Letter of Approval or Visa Approval Letter.
As expected, their service fee has 'extras' for different levels of service, e.g. normal service, urgent service, super urgent service etc. etc.

That's their business and you pay their service fee online at the time of requesting your Visa Approval Letter.

The stamping fee is what you pay in cash at the airport to the Govt. to get your visa pasted on your PP.

I also noticed that the waiting time for the document seemed to vary in opinion from person to person and some of the posts that I had been reading were a few years old. Do you know about how long it usually takes for an employer to provide the letter?

When applying for the visa myself I was able to receive the letter in 3 days.

Last time when you applied for your VoA tourist visa, you used one of those services mentioned above. They usually send you the LoA in 3 days.

Your current case is bit different.
- A genuine company in VN wants to invite you as a consultant/expert in a certain field.
- They will send their "letter of invitation" to the Immigration Dept. and will request them to issue a "letter of approval" for your b-visa on arrival.
- Once Immigration Dept. issues your "Letter of Approval" (see the sample at the end), the company will send that letter to you.

You may have to wait a bit longer than those off-the-shelf approval letters you get through web-based agencies.

Each case is different and only your company can give you a deadline for that.
I see you've posted in the Can Tho sub-forum.
If your employer is processing the letter of approval in CT, it may take time.
Just ask them how long it will take and at what stage of processing they are at the moment.

Please remember, within 3 months after your arrival in Vietnam, your company is expected to apply for your Work Permit.

I also wanted to know what documents will they be asking from me at the time of arrival for me to receive the visa?

- Visa application form (one you used last time)
- Letter of Approval (sample)
- Passport
- 2 photos (refer to visa application form)
- Visa stamping fee (USD cash).

Hope you find this info helpful!
Cheers!

@THIGV
OP is from the U.S.  ;)

senwl wrote:

@THIGV
OP is from the U.S.  ;)

Sorry, I seem to have gotten the OP mixed up with the OP of another current thread. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=732956  I need an egg on face emoji.   :huh:

As I see now that she posted on the Can Tho forum, I would recommend bringing the requisite documents to HCMC and have them certified by the US consulate and later the VN government.  The consulate has the address for where to go next.  It's on Pasteur.  Bring the originals but you may certify a photocopy.  The consulate has the wording for your statement.  In 2013 it was $50 US per document.  I paid by US credit card but I understand that the consulate takes VND now.