Containers to the DR

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is well.

I'm looking at moving to the DR with my family and was wondering if anyone had ever mived all their belongings from the US to the DR? I'm particularly interested in my car as I imagine buying a car in the DR is terribly expensive?

I know my car can't be more than 5 years old but I'm wondering if it would be best to try and get my car there or sell it and then tey to buy a car in the DR? Maybe from another expat?

Just curious on what other expats have done in order to get a car in the DR?

Thanks everyone,
Bruno

Bruno you need to move this question to the DR forum where you have posted on schools.

Moving a container can be expensive unless you have applied for your residency.  With your residency you can bring in one container of used "household" items tax free but this must be with in 6 months of your residency.  With out this you will pay at least 28% in taxes on the value of the items and this value is set by the government and usually will be higher than the actual costs.

We actually shipped a container when we moved to the DR 12 years ago mostly because you could not get many quality household items here.  I would not do it again to day as almost anything you need you can find here.

As to the car... sell yours and buy another car here.  Yes cars are more expensive here but shipping will be expensive.  Again with out the exoneration tax you ate looking at over 28% tax on the value that the government sets.  The car must be between 2 and 5 years old and I believe you need to have owned it for 2 years.  Overall not worth the hassle

Bob K

Hi Bruno RDC,

Please note that your topic has been moved to the Dominican Republic forum.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Thanks for moving the thread

Bob K

Thanks everyone. I'm still learning my way around the site and am glad a got a little help in moving the thread. ;-)

Priscilla - I have been searching for the thread that identified suggested Shippers but cannot find it . HAve any idea where this might be found. Thanks.

Are you talking about shipping containers of stuff or just small purchases or items you want to ship?

Bob K

Talking about the approx 300 cubic ft of personal stuff I want to ship to Moca when I move there. I thought I saw a thread that identified at least three different companies.....

300 is about the size of 15 refrigerators. That is a lot of personal stuff. Look into LTLs  Less than total loads. ( sharing space in a container. LOL

Google Rosa del Monte as they have offices all over the US and will do full and partial containers.  We used them though it was 12 years ago so I do not have any current cost info.

Bob K

Roger that Bob  - thanks

You are welcome

Bob K

Do not use Enviar Oriental. They "lost" a couple of thousand dollars of my things. Said they could not find an address in Sosua so took the stuff back to their warehouse in Boca Chica for 7 weeks.  They wanted US $250 to deliver to me. Apparently during this time my things were lost. Strange as it may seem seeing as how they were at the bottoms of the barrels. Luchianos is a good clean efficient shipper. Sell car, buy here, save money. This island is no where near the 3rd world it is made out to be.  It is poor & sure it has a different veiw on many aspects of life, however, you can purchase whatever you need here.