Close

Worth to relocate to Shanghai for work?

Hi guys

I got a job offer in IT field (3years experience in business intelligence) with RMB15000 monthly salary before tax. I am not sure whether is it worth to relocate to Shanghai with this pay. From what I read online, cost of living is high in Shanghai compared to KL , Malaysia and my friends believe I can get this pay at home (minus tax and expected accomodation spend in Shanghai).

Should I make the move? I am in the midst of discussing the employment terms with HR, so I believe there is still not too late to turn back.

Any advice is highly appreciated. 🙏 thanks alot guys.

I advice that you should relocate to shanghai.beacuse of having oversea experience after three years

Judging career moves based on money is not advised.

You should know that. 

15,000 RMB / month is a Chinese manager's salary.  It should be fine.  You will be able to live in a new nation, and experience a different culture while being paid. However, you will need to live like a local.  If you want to live like an American, for instance, you will need over double that.  Compare the cost differences...

Local housing              2000 RMB/Month
Expat housing              5000 RMB/month
Chinese lunch              15 RMB
Lunch at Starbucks     65 RMB

So  I must ask you... why move to another nation if you are unwilling to learn the language, the culture, and live like a local?

I think that the salary on offer is very low with your expertise. Young ESL teachers earn more. I would negotiate a higher salary and especially since the cost of accommodation is very high in Shanghai.

Moving to Shanghai

Find tips from professionals about moving to Shanghai

Travel insurance in Shanghai

Enjoy stress-free travel to Shanghai