How did you find housing - renting a house?

How difficult was it to find a house to rent? Did you know someone who helped you or did you answer an ad? How long did it take to find a rented home?

answered an ad, before that I used a real estate agent. Almost everyone was negotiable on the price....

Also, if your dealing with someone who has legal authority to act for the owner... Pass and deal only with the owner.

Beware of agents selling 13th floor condos in 12 story buildings.

Ads???? Some in show up in facebook local Buy sell trade. More metropolitan areas craigslist.   Very few local newspapers about.  No professional real estate exists.   Just show up, rent a hotel room.  rent/buy a motorcycle, get a phone, hit the streets is most productive in Mindinao

OLX website seems to contain a lot of rentals

It's very simple,first know what your budget for renting is,then select a city or area where you would like to live,then just hire a trycicle driver for the day,he will drive you around to find the place,it's more expensive if you search on the internet,just follow renting signs,ask the people,just make sure you use common sense,beware of people trying to make you over paid,best make sure the place is secured,if possible well gated,the rent will be recording to your life style,it can be simple or luxurious,everything is up to you,be very clear if it's month to month,or 6 months or one year contract,put everything clearly to the owner in writting,lots of scammers trying to take advantage,but there's still lots of honest people,hope this will help you some what,good luck in obtaining your rental place,it could be condo,apartment,or just simple room,you control your own destiny.

...the rent will be according to your likes,the more you search the better chances of finding your rental place,pay only in Philipines peso,if it's a house you shouldn't pay more than US $200 to $300,unless you want a more luxurious place,really depends on your life style,dont forget your in another country and must adjust to it.I had a 3br house,gated near the beach,free water,and near the road paid less than US$300 monthly,it was in the province in Visayas,Manila is quite more expensive.

Have used both real estate agent and answered adds by owners.

Real estate agents i have found are not organized or that knowledgeable anout whats really available outside of their own listings

Leases are differemt here than the usa as repairs and service issues can be to the expense of the renter and you shoukd make sure you read your Ts and Cs in your rental contract and agreement thoroughly.

This depends on the place and your budget. Where in Ph do you plan to stay? Laguna and Cavite are 1-2 hour-drive from Makati Manila, rent is far cheaper there plus the air is fresher. In Manila the rent is expensive but it is more accessible because it is the business district. Warn you about the traffic though. :)

My wife found

I have rented an apartment in Manila that I found just by using a tricycle and driving around.  Costs of living in Manila are high. Be sure you communicate directly with the owner of the property and get everything in writing. As far as real estate agents go, they generally only know about the property they are associated with. My Filipino wife and I have since moved to Puerto Galera. We went there on vacation and I fell in love with the area. I searched online with no luck. We made several more trips to Puerto Galera searching for rental property each time. After about 4 trip's we found a beach front property we have since rented. Owned by a foreigner and his Filipino wife. So we haven't experienced many problems with maintenance like we had in Manila when the property was owned by a Filipino businessman. I had to pay for all the maintenance there and wait to be reimbursed. We lost our deposit. Lesson learned.

In regards to the properties for rent which I see on the internet, are they overpriced?

From what I have read hear they seem to be.

Any thoughts

You need a Filipino boots on the ground to find a place, one you can trust.

My wife and I are looking to network with anyone willing to check prices on house rentals. Looking to rent for one year then we'll decide what we want to do.
Tagaytay area
Baguio area
Somewhat modern more or less.
Security if possible
Prefer 2-3 bedroom
Hoping for 15-20K peso monthly but really have no clue what we can get for that.

Stay away from agents until you have a lot of personal experience here!

lasvegan wrote:

Agents in the west are generally pretty bad, that profession often attracting people with no moral standards, but they tend to be controlled by law. Much of Asia is short of strong laws to stop agents doing what they like, lying to whomever they like, and basically ripping people off.

The quote is well worth remembering.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Philippines

I have used Air B&B before and it worked out ok. They put their best foot forward in the photos, so be aware of that. Otherwise, if I was in the market this would be my go-to.

Fred wrote:
lasvegan wrote:

Agents in the west are generally pretty bad, that profession often attracting people with no moral standards, but they tend to be controlled by law. Much of Asia is short of strong laws to stop agents doing what they like, lying to whomever they like, and basically ripping people off.

The quote is well worth remembering.

Yes Fred and I hope not to put my neck on the line here but would agree that with my chosen destination the realestate agents are a law unto themselves and every thing said by the same needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and do your own research/due diligence and then some. Misleading and at times out and out lies to sell a property, yes this is from first hand experience purchasing a property a few years ago.
Almost 8 years ago we tried to rent a condo through many agents when we decided to live together. what a waste of time and frustration all the way with lies, deception not to mention multiple inspection appointments being broken or when you get there for the inspection the condo is occupied with 10 or 12 residents, is filthy and some rooms cannot be viewed as people are sleeping there,,,,,,, "B" shift I assume. None were suitable and in frustration I said to my better half this is your country, you find something. He did so very quickly and has done so with other purchases including car rentals etc all found on the Filipinos favourite site. FB. Deal directly and negotiate with the owner/seller and to date never a problem. In fact the car rental company as returning clients gives us an unbeatable deal including delivery and pick up to our hotel and only PHP 5K security. Toyota Vios only PHP 30K per month, we look after their car and they look after us.

Purchasing or renting a home will always be fraught with danger, a large investment, buying/purchasing that that requires not only boots on the ground but savy enquiries to secure a hassle free stay.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi, I arrived in the Philippines a few days ago, I've been actively looking for a place in Makati/Mandaluyong (I'll start working in Bel Air from next week) for weeks before coming but I couldn't find anything. I thought that once here it would be easier but I can't seem to find anything. Now I'm staying at a hostel but I can't stay anymore cos my budget is running out as I need to keep my money for a deposit.
I don't know what to do, the brokers I contacted ghosted me and the online ads are mostly expired or out of my budget. Any advice, or contact I could use?

I suggested Air B&B to someone else here. I have used it.

Be careful.

walking talking and asking is THE way to find a place to live,or having a person of trust who can look around for you works to ,never ever will i use an imo agent (i dont wanna be scammed)
this is my advise.
greets Dirk

Thanks for the advice. I ended up scheduling a couple visits by just asking random people. But there is always a broker involved unfortunately, I'll be careful. What kknda scam should I look out for?

Whenever I stay in a strange place I always check for cams.

And I am old and ugly.  :D   

just sayin

You cannot understand a people until you study the history. This culture is very much based on their tribal roots.  The Philippine nation is the result of on a Filipino aristocracy extending back to the last few decades of the Spanish that took their lessons from the Spanish.  The political system is dynastic subject to the oligarchs and the court system is a pawn of the the politicians.  Buyer protection from the legal system is expensive if you can get any.

That said, you can do very well here IF:

This place IS not for the lazy and spreading money around only attracts pests, you CANNOT buy a fiduciary relationship. 
DO NOT USE ANY BROKER, or you will be broker(poorer)
Good looking or even real Professional Certificates and licenses are ea$y to obtain.
BUYER beware, Until you have established a relationship with someone, you are not to be trusted nor can you trust them. 
Even be careful of family members until you know them. 
YOU must stay on top of EVERYTHING that occurs. 
Be comfortable reading legalese.

Do as we did....
Deal directly with the seller/landlord ONLY...
Make them prove they have the right to offer you the property.

That said, building is a real adventure.

Facebook can get you started in the direction you desire but only, Friends and Family

LemSaDipolog wrote:

You cannot understand a people until you study the history. This culture is very much based on their tribal roots.  The Philippine nation is the result of on a Filipino aristocracy extending back to the last few decades of the Spanish that took their lessons from the Spanish.  The political system is dynastic subject to the oligarchs and the court system is a pawn of the the politicians.  Buyer protection from the legal system is expensive if you can get any.

That said, you can do very well here IF:

This place IS not for the lazy and spreading money around only attracts pests, you CANNOT buy a fiduciary relationship. 
DO NOT USE ANY BROKER, or you will be broker(poorer)
Good looking or even real Professional Certificates and licenses are ea$y to obtain.
BUYER beware, Until you have established a relationship with someone, you are not to be trusted nor can you trust them. 
Even be careful of family members until you know them. 
YOU must stay on top of EVERYTHING that occurs. 
Be comfortable reading legalese.

Do as we did....
Deal directly with the seller/landlord ONLY...
Make them prove they have the right to offer you the property.

That said, building is a real adventure.

Facebook can get you started in the direction you desire but only, Friends and Family

I have been in Philippines full time for ten years. Involved in Philippines for almost 20.

You never know someone.

Money is the confounding variable.

The more money that is involved the more confounded you will be at the behavior of those you thought you knew.

MikenRose wrote:

My wife and I are looking to network with anyone willing to check prices on house rentals. Looking to rent for one year then we'll decide what we want to do.
Tagaytay area
Baguio area
Somewhat modern more or less.
Security if possible
Prefer 2-3 bedroom
Hoping for 15-20K peso monthly but really have no clue what we can get for that.

Those are high cost areas. Expect to pay a lot.