Need Help RE: Living Expenses in Budapest

Hi All, 

I am preparing a budget to live in Budapest...  According to what I could find online, the monthly food encompassing shopping at the market/cooking and once a week mid-priced restaurant for one person would come to approximately HUF 70,000 (I am including bottled water) and I do not drink alcohol, nor do I smoke or eat sweats...  Is this accurate? 
In addition, I gather that Utilities, with Wi-Fi and cell phone added would come to about HUF110,000 per month for a small studio or one bedroom in Budapest (for one person)... 
Gym about HUF 15,000 and clothing budget I figured for HUF 10,000 (really don't need anything; have ton of nice clothes from the U.S.) and transport (monthly pass for public transportation) HUF 10,000... Is this in the ballpark?

HUF 110,000 - Utilities plus Wi-Fi and cell phone
HUF  70,000 - Food bought at market/cooking + once/week mid-priced restaurant for one
HUF  10,000 - Monthly pass public transportation
HUF  15,000 - Gym
HUF  10,000 - Clothing

TOTAL: HUF 215,000

Am I leaving something out?

Thanks, Livia

Health insurance/expenses

I always take what i think I'll need and double it

"HUF 110,000 - Utilities plus Wi-Fi and cell phone"

Do you own the apartment? If yes,  or you speak hungarian, then maybe. Otherwise double this.

"once/week mid-priced restaurant for one"

I think that'd be about 5k/week, 20k/month, the remaining 50k for groceries is doable  but a bit thin...

What about "fun"..?

I think you can do it for about that much a month but yes you need to buy health coverage.
I don't use a cell phone so not really sure how much extra those are, suppose it depends on the plan you buy.
Gym's, that's about the cost but there are a few for under 10,000 a month but I haven't gone to the gym in HU for a few years now since my knee surgery.
My fave place closed down and has since reopened but I have heard the price is really high now and you must sign a contract for a year.
The Super Gym seems like a decent place without a pool and mostly night or late afternoon classes.
From my research most of the lower cost gyms only have night time classes because they cater to the younger working crowd.
Rents have gone up recently and it may be hard to find a nice place for less then 100,000 a month plus utilities.
Clothing, not sure if that is enough since living in Fiji I would imagine you have mostly hot weather clothing.
The nice thing about Budapest is just about any style of clothing is OK.
people seem to have their own sort of style, anything goes if your young enough to carry it off.
The shops that sell clothing geared towards ladies of a certain age are either overpriced or really, really grandma styles.
If your slim and fit you can still shop in the clothing chain stores like H&M or Zara, tons of used clothing shops but  even though I look in those often , I rarely find much I like. I don't buy used shoes, coats, sometimes the dry cleaning costs more then the item purchased second hand. Dry cleaning is more expensive then in the US.
Yes, fun is costly here now in the city. A transportation pass is only good within the city limits. You have to buy tickets to go outside the city limits. The train to Balaton is about 5,00 each way depending on where you get off. Swimming in the spas is pricey if you go more then once in awhile. About 5,000 a day in the larger spas and they are really crowded in the summer. The cheaper pools which are more for locals cost at least 2,200  day, adds up if you like swimming a few times a week. That's without buying drinks or food at the pool.
The Rudas is about the cheapest place to swim for seniors but only Mon-Fri. between 9 am and noon. Gets a bit too crowded then to actually swim laps, small pool too.It was 1,500 a head for 3 hours.
We went to Balaton a few times a week this past summer but petrol is not cheap, probably spent about 5,000 a trip over there on gas.
I am a swimmer and am disappointed in the costs here to use a pool. For two people it adds up quickly.
It used to be allot more reasonable to enjoy the spas and museums but Budapest is turning into a very busy summer tourist destination and the prices are not for people on a budget.
Think if you're over 62 the museums are half price but really how many times is that fun to do?
Winter heating costs can add up too.
Seems everyone is correct, you might need to add a bit more to your monthly budget then you think .
Being single I would think you might spend more on outside interests. If you don't work then you will have allot of free time on your hands.Everything is pricey now, the costs for fun have gone up allot in the past few years.
I know you like to paint so that will be a great hobby.
Not allot of things geared for fun with seniors in the city, this is not Sun City or Vegas, not allot for older single people to do here. We went about 6 times to senior dances with a older neighbor lady here all around Budapest. In Buda and in the Pest side. Fun at first but overall just for a laugh a few polkas.
Not really something I imagine most who lived in the west would find a weekly thing to do.
Budapest is seriously geared for the younger crowd now, clubs, binge drinking and parties dancing the night away. I really think a smaller city would be a nice fit for a person over 60.

Panni36 wrote:

In addition, I gather that Utilities, with Wi-Fi and cell phone added would come to about HUF110,000 per month for a small studio or one bedroom in Budapest (for one person)...

If this means the 110000 includes rent, then you underestimate it. Or more precisely, it depends on where would you like to live in the city. 70-80000 is enough for a flat which is not in a very good shape in the city centre, or for something very far fro mthe centre.

https://ingatlan.com/szukites/kiado+lak … t+35-40-m2

110000 alone wouldnt cover the rent for an apartment in normal shape.
Here's a map for the districts:
http://cdn.blog.hu/te/tenytar/image/bp_keruletei.jpg

atomheart wrote:

50k for groceries is doable  but a bit thin...

My wife and I spend less a month on food and household needs (toothpaste et al.) combined. And we do not consider we live "thin".

Which just shows that different people will have different levels of expenses.

And, thus, unless we know exactly what one wants to buy each month (sirloin steak versus beans and rice), and in what quantities, asking other individuals in a vague and gross sense if a certain budget is doable might be of limited value. The result is more just a few opinions that may have no basis at all in what the OP may actually end up spending if their lifestyle differs from those that comment. Or a comment here may be spot on accurate. But there is on way to know which is true, without providing more of the afore mentioned details, until ones lives here a while and actually starts accounting for their monthly expenses.

Which is why I always suggest using a data aggregate site like https://www.numbeo.com. Larger sample size, thus a better idea of a possible expected budget.

And if one already has been to Numbeo (or similar), then I council that any comment on food expenses should be taken as mostly entertainment unless one, again, gives a more detailed list of products and quantities they expect to buy.

Rawlee wrote:
Panni36 wrote:

If this means the 110000 includes rent, then you underestimate it. Or more precisely, it depends on where would you like to live in the city. 70-80000 is enough for a flat which is not in a very good shape in the city centre, or for something very far fro mthe centre.

https://ingatlan.com/szukites/kiado+lak … t+35-40-m2

110000 alone wouldnt cover the rent for an apartment in normal shape.
Here's a map for the districts:
http://cdn.blog.hu/te/tenytar/image/bp_keruletei.jpg

=============

Thank you!  That makes me feel better!  I can afford an additional HUF 160,000 for rent on top of the 110,000 for utilities and such.   I am alone, so I do not mind a smaller place - studio is fine, but it needs to be updated and well located.  This budget, BTW is based on my U.S. government pension of USD 1,450 per month, but I intend to find some part time job maybe up to 20 hours a week to keep busy and supplement my income.  I am not looking to buy, but will have a little money that will help with extras for the next 15 or so years...  Hopefully I figure out something thereafter : )

klsallee wrote:
atomheart wrote:

50k for groceries is doable  but a bit thin...

My wife and I spend less a month on food and household needs (toothpaste et al.) combined. And we do not consider we live "thin".

Which just shows that different people will have different levels of expenses.

And, thus, unless we know exactly what one wants to buy each month (sirloin steak versus beans and rice), and in what quantities, asking other individuals in a vague and gross sense if a certain budget is doable might be of limited value. The result is more just a few opinions that may have no basis at all in what the OP may actually end up spending if their lifestyle differs from those that comment. Or a comment here may be spot on accurate. But there is on way to know which is true, without providing more of the afore mentioned details, until ones lives here a while and actually starts accounting for their monthly expenses.

Which is why I always suggest using a data aggregate site like https://www.numbeo.com. Larger sample size, thus a better idea of a possible expected budget.

And if one already has been to Numbeo (or similar), then I council that any comment on food expenses should be taken as mostly entertainment unless one, again, gives a more detailed list of products and quantities they expect to buy.

==================

Thank you for clarifying!  I prefer to eat simple things and cooking for myself healthy stuff to eating out.  I am not a big meat eater and can make my favorite meals and eat the same thing for several days.  That can be done on a small budget.  In addition, I do not drink, not a fan of red meat, and don't eat desserts and junk food.  Thanks for the website reference - that is where I got the numbers I came-up with!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I think you can do it for about that much a month but yes you need to buy health coverage.
I don't use a cell phone so not really sure how much extra those are, suppose it depends on the plan you buy.
Gym's, that's about the cost but there are a few for under 10,000 a month but I haven't gone to the gym in HU for a few years now since my knee surgery.
My fave place closed down and has since reopened but I have heard the price is really high now and you must sign a contract for a year.
The Super Gym seems like a decent place without a pool and mostly night or late afternoon classes.
From my research most of the lower cost gyms only have night time classes because they cater to the younger working crowd.
Rents have gone up recently and it may be hard to find a nice place for less then 100,000 a month plus utilities.
Clothing, not sure if that is enough since living in Fiji I would imagine you have mostly hot weather clothing.
The nice thing about Budapest is just about any style of clothing is OK.
people seem to have their own sort of style, anything goes if your young enough to carry it off.
The shops that sell clothing geared towards ladies of a certain age are either overpriced or really, really grandma styles.
If your slim and fit you can still shop in the clothing chain stores like H&M or Zara, tons of used clothing shops but  even though I look in those often , I rarely find much I like. I don't buy used shoes, coats, sometimes the dry cleaning costs more then the item purchased second hand. Dry cleaning is more expensive then in the US.
Yes, fun is costly here now in the city. A transportation pass is only good within the city limits. You have to buy tickets to go outside the city limits. The train to Balaton is about 5,00 each way depending on where you get off. Swimming in the spas is pricey if you go more then once in awhile. About 5,000 a day in the larger spas and they are really crowded in the summer. The cheaper pools which are more for locals cost at least 2,200  day, adds up if you like swimming a few times a week. That's without buying drinks or food at the pool.
The Rudas is about the cheapest place to swim for seniors but only Mon-Fri. between 9 am and noon. Gets a bit too crowded then to actually swim laps, small pool too.It was 1,500 a head for 3 hours.
We went to Balaton a few times a week this past summer but petrol is not cheap, probably spent about 5,000 a trip over there on gas.
I am a swimmer and am disappointed in the costs here to use a pool. For two people it adds up quickly.
It used to be allot more reasonable to enjoy the spas and museums but Budapest is turning into a very busy summer tourist destination and the prices are not for people on a budget.
Think if you're over 62 the museums are half price but really how many times is that fun to do?
Winter heating costs can add up too.
Seems everyone is correct, you might need to add a bit more to your monthly budget then you think .
Being single I would think you might spend more on outside interests. If you don't work then you will have allot of free time on your hands.Everything is pricey now, the costs for fun have gone up allot in the past few years.
I know you like to paint so that will be a great hobby.
Not allot of things geared for fun with seniors in the city, this is not Sun City or Vegas, not allot for older single people to do here. We went about 6 times to senior dances with a older neighbor lady here all around Budapest. In Buda and in the Pest side. Fun at first but overall just for a laugh a few polkas.
Not really something I imagine most who lived in the west would find a weekly thing to do.
Budapest is seriously geared for the younger crowd now, clubs, binge drinking and parties dancing the night away. I really think a smaller city would be a nice fit for a person over 60.

=====================

Thank you Marilyn!

Yes, I like to paint, and intend to also work on my two books.  I also enjoy reading, and get lost researching stuff on my computer.  Basically I am a nerd and a big loaner, who is most comfortable being alone and doing my own thing.  I do well in social situations, since in my businesses I became a real pro at it, and I genuinely like people, but in limited dozes.   

I would also like to find a part-time job of 10-20 hours a week.  Is that difficult?  As I mentioned before, I have experiences in running businesses, high-end sales, marketing, designing, commercial real estate finance, was a financial advisor with Morgan Stanley, a prestigious investment firm in the U.S. and worldwide where I held licenses in mortgage brokerage, insurance brokerage, and securities law as a stock broker.  I also managed art galleries in New York City and California.  I was a freelance journalist for a while and wrote about everything from world economy, politics, the news, to reviews of restaurants, resorts, and entertainment.   I am not looking for the same type of positions, but surely I could do something to keep busy and make some extra money (?)

I am missing a chip that recognizes that I am a "senior" and tend not to get involved with senior activities.  I wold probably enjoy some activities that involve other nerds who enjoy politics, science, or the arts.

atomheart wrote:

"HUF 110,000 - Utilities plus Wi-Fi and cell phone"

Do you own the apartment? If yes,  or you speak hungarian, then maybe. Otherwise double this.

"once/week mid-priced restaurant for one"

I think that'd be about 5k/week, 20k/month, the remaining 50k for groceries is doable  but a bit thin...

What about "fun"..?

=====================

Thank you!  I figured HUF 30,000 for restaurants, but thought 40,000 would do for groceries... 

The 110,000 in utilities plus (Total of HUF 215) are just expenses over and above rent, which I budgeted for about HUF 160,000 for a GRAND TOTAL OF HUF 375,000 with some 5,500 to spare for extras per month.

This is just about what I can afford from my U.S. pension of USD 1,450 if I don't work. 

I wish to find some part-time activity; however, to keep busy and which would pay me some extra - not much, just 70,000 to 100,000 per month.   Is that doable in Budapest?  Although I am highly qualified to do a lot of things, I don't really care what I do, so long as it is helping some business and I get a little extra income...

I was born in Hungary, and read/write/speak fluent Hungarian, albeit slightly rusty, but been visiting Hungarian websites and it is coming back fast.  Business Hungarian will be a bit of a challenge, since I left the country when I was 18 and a lot happened since.

jesperss wrote:

Health insurance/expenses

I always take what i think I'll need and double it

====================

Did not think of that!  Thank you!  From what I gather, it is about HUF 15,000 per month.  Is that correct?

Don't forget hairdresser expenses.
A decent cut in a nice salon is at least 8,000 F or more, highlights are not cheap either.
Believe me, you don't want to experiment with a cheaper salon, made that mistake once... Good thing I brought a hat with me!
Makeup and other personal grooming items are the same price or slightly more in Hungary. They add the 27% VAT tax.
I have no idea about working in Hungary, I haven't worked since I was in my early 50's, that's why I moved to HU so I could afford to be free of work.
Otherwise, if I had to work here, I honestly wouldn't be here.
I only agreed to live here so I wouldn't have to work.
Over 60 is not exactly what employers are looking for, maybe with your language skills you can find something that would fit for you.
I don't see myself as a senior person either but I can't change how other people see me.
It isn't easy to age, we had old friends visit HU who we hadn't seen in 30 or more years. We both thought," wow they got old. "Of course we never see ourselves that way.
It's all good though, still kicking it.
I really think your income is enough to take your time once you move here and look around for a part-time job if you still feel you need one once you settle.

Panni36 wrote:

I wish to find some part-time activity; however, to keep busy and which would pay me some extra - not much, just 70,000 to 100,000 per month.   Is that doable in Budapest?  Although I am highly qualified to do a lot of things, I don't really care what I do, so long as it is helping some business and I get a little extra income...

Why don't you look for remote work, maybe try freelancing portals, like freelancer.com, guru.com, upwork.com. A gross income of 150.000 HUF per month with 100 hours would mean an hourly rate of 6$, that can be very competitive in many positions, a US customer would always prefer a candidate who lived in USA, with fluent english and familiar with american work ethics and business etiquette over a pakistani with broken english for 1$!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Don't forget hairdresser expenses.
A decent cut in a nice salon is at least 8,000 F or more, highlights are not cheap either.
Believe me, you don't want to experiment with a cheaper salon, made that mistake once... Good thing I brought a hat with me!
Makeup and other personal grooming items are the same price or slightly more in Hungary. They add the 27% VAT tax.

I really think your income is enough to take your time once you move here and look around for a part-time job if you still feel you need one once you settle.

===================
Thanks Marilyn!  I do my own hair; have been doing it for over 30 years...  Even when I could well afford the best hairdressers, I was never happy and used to run into a drug store and get a color (sometimes multiple colors if I had streaks) and redid my hair when I went home after spending $300...  It use to upset me so, it was just not worth it...   Being ambidextrous helps to cut my own hair, and doing color is not hard...  I was blond for 35 years and used to do my own streaks.  I went back to my natural color of brunette a couple of weeks ago, because in Fiji, you cannot get blond hair color.  It just so happens that I love it.  I feel like I am back in my old skin, after a long absence.  Doing one color only involves smearing it all over your roots, then the rest of the hair and you are done.   I have a simple hairstyle, with some layering on the front, so it's no biggie.  I am known to be very even keeled, but my hot bottom (oddly) is when someone messes-up my hair...  I know it's weird, but we all have our thing : ))

atomheart wrote:

Why don't you look for remote work, maybe try freelancing portals, like freelancer.com, guru.com, upwork.com. A gross income of 150.000 HUF per month with 100 hours would mean an hourly rate of 6$, that can be very competitive in many positions, a US customer would always prefer a candidate who lived in USA, with fluent english and familiar with american work ethics and business etiquette over a pakistani with broken english for 1$!

======================
Great idea; I will check it out!  Thanks!

Well, if you ever find the need for a great stylist here in Budapest, I know one.
He is a ex-pat and both talented and fun to talk to.
I still have my up to date hairdressing papers from the US but am not interested at all in going back behind a chair.
It's funny though, walked past one of the new barber shops on one of the blvds. here and looked in the window.
Was just so tempted to walk up to the barber and give him a couple of tips, noticed how he was dropping his elbow  while cutting.
Extra work on clean up plus not getting the cut right wasting time and energy and being sloppy.
It's hard to shut up and keep on walking.
I never cut my own hair except for fringe between cuts.
I know too much and know I can't see what I am doing, many people do cut their own hair however and do a good job, just not for me.
I like being pampered once in awhile.
Sometimes, not often I do miss using the clipper on someone...

Panni36 wrote:

...... I am known to be very even keeled, but my hot bottom (oddly) is when someone messes-up my hair...  I know it's weird, but we all have our thing : ))

---------------
Hilarious!!!  I meant my hot button....  LOL

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I never cut my own hair except for fringe between cuts.
I know too much and know I can't see what I am doing, many people do cut their own hair however and do a good job, just not for me.
I like being pampered once in awhile.
Sometimes, not often I do miss using the clipper on someone...

==================

That's the worst part for me...  Sitting in a chair is giving me the creeps; feel like a prisoner!  I am missing that chip too - I think all that "pampering" in salons; the hair, nails, and especially massages are torture.  I don't like to be touched...  Hahahaha....

In the movie "Two Weeks Notice" (really cute film) Lucy (Sandra Bullock) when offered a massage to relax, barks at the Asian masseuses "I do not like to be touched" - that is sooooo me!!!!  It was hilarious!

Well, after years of having to touch strangers, I am grossed out by people for the most part.
Rather be touched then have to touch!
Some people are not exactly clean or barely even human.
Trade secrets coming out, not suppose to bad mouth our clients.
Some people come in with actual sand or dirt on their scalp and wax in their ears... Nasty...
Had one man, poor thing, I honestly didn't know where his brow ended and his hairline started, such a "low brow".
In retrospect, most people don't really have the greatest hair but when your fingers feel a good head of hair to work with it is wonderful.
Most people have issues with their hair, not sure if it is their diet or hygiene but no matter how hard you work it doesn't always come together as one planned.
I know my hair, short, slightly layered, not too much with a general A-lined bob cut with bangs.
Boring but it works for me...
Used to be a hair model for my friend who did Pat Benatar's hair , might still be doing her hair for all I know.
My sis and I would open up the show at venues such as The Disneyland Hotel or the Queen Mary for international hair shows.
One time for some lame reason they asked me to come out first with my sister right behind me since we looked like twins. I had been enjoying the red wine while we had our hair and makeup done back stage... I wasn't listening to the directions as to where to go, where to stop and turn around etc. I just went whatever way suited me, the silly models walking behind me did the same cat walk I did, all wrong, totally wrong.  Oh well, what did they want for free labor?
Got to do my modeling thing without really getting into it.No agents, no BS just a fun day and a new do for free.
My husband used to get upset though so I stopped doing this for my friend.
I had to pay a babysitter, buy a nice new pricey dress , new killer shoes or boots and make my husband cook his own dinner and pick up the baby while I was on the runway for the day.It turned out to be costing him money for my day of fun and glamour.He said it was just cheaper for him to pay for a new hairdo rather then for the day of me going out and playing fashion model for a day. In the long run, looking back, I am glad I got that out of my system.
Poor guy really that is for a single person not a mom and housefrau.

I do my own color which all my former stylist also thought was a good shade for me.
Redish brown.Sort of like a Viszla...

Panni36 wrote:

but I intend to find some part time job maybe up to 20 hours a week to keep busy and supplement my income.

You may already know this, but just in case:

The moment you earn income in Hungary in a job, you are in the Hungarian tax system, and your entire world wide income, including retirement from the USA, must be reported to the Hungarian tax office. And it may become potentially taxable in Hungary. And of course your income in Hungary becomes potentially taxable in the USA if you are a US Citizen as the US taxes its citizens abroad (you have to file form 2225 to claim the foreign earned income tax credit to avoid double taxation on income earned in Hungary). And if you earn too much in Hungary, it might affect your US pension.

I say "potentially" because ideally, by the US - Hungarian tax treaty, US sourced income like retirement is exempt from Hungarian taxes for US Citizens, but if you are dual citizen there may be a jurisdictional issue if you start to work in Hungary.

It quickly can become complicated.

klsallee wrote:
Panni36 wrote:

but I intend to find some part time job maybe up to 20 hours a week to keep busy and supplement my income.

You may already know this, but just in case:

The moment you earn income in Hungary in a job, you are in the Hungarian tax system, and your entire world wide income, including retirement from the USA, must be reported to the Hungarian tax office. And it may become potentially taxable in Hungary. And of course your income in Hungary becomes potentially taxable in the USA if you are a US Citizen as the US taxes its citizens abroad (you have to file form 2225 to claim the foreign earned income tax credit to avoid double taxation on income earned in Hungary). And if you earn too much in Hungary, it might affect your US pension.

I say "potentially" because ideally, by the US - Hungarian tax treaty, US sourced income like retirement is exempt from Hungarian taxes for US Citizens, but if you are dual citizen there may be a jurisdictional issue if you start to work in Hungary.

It quickly can become complicated.

=========================

Thank you so much for this...  I was not at all thinking of that, so I really appreciate the info.  Since then, I looked it up, and Hungary and the U.S. has a treaty regarding all that, so I am good...  I also received a letter from a Hungarian Language School offering me a position as a teacher if I get certified...  I am so relieved - need the extra income... 
I posted a note for help on another forum - really would appreciate your input on it!  Here is copy of my post:

Hi All,

I sent my resume to CONVERZUM-Tudomany Nyelviskola in Budapest to teach English, and received a letter back that they will be happy to offer me a position if I will get a teacher's certification. 

They referred me to a school, that on completion also offers jobs, in fact, they guarantee it...
This was very good news, as I was worried about my budget of approximately HUF 370,000 per month for living expenses.  From what I gather online, the monthly salary for language teachers for a 25-30 hour work week is about HUF 260,000 per month. 

Even though I will have to pay U.S. taxes, with deductions, I would have over HUG 600,000 per month to live on with a nice job.  Minus, of course some Hungarian taxes, on the 260,000...  (there is a treaty between U.S. and Hungary that you only pay taxes in one country, so I still have to figure that out)

Please tell me that the salary is a realistic number!!!  PLEASE!  It would make my day...  Hell; it would make my life! 

Is this too good to be true; is there some hidden caveat that disqualifies me - e.g.: my age?   

Thanks,
Livia

Dear Panii36, I followed some of the discussion on your posts with interest as it was so heartfelt.. by the way, as you would know, Budapest is one of the most walkable cities and has lots of gardens too.. I for one wouldnt spend time in a gym if i could be out and about..

Panni36 wrote:

I sent my resume to CONVERZUM-Tudomany Nyelviskola in Budapest to teach English, and received a letter back that they will be happy to offer me a position if I will get a teacher's certification. 

They referred me to a school, that on completion also offers jobs, in fact, they guarantee it...
This was very good news, as I was worried about my budget of approximately HUF 370,000 per month for living expenses.  From what I gather online, the monthly salary for language teachers for a 25-30 hour work week is about HUF 260,000 per month.

Something seems a little fishy about the whole thing. Any school that guarantees you a salary that's nearly 50% higher the norm is to be approached with caution. And especially so if you have to pay for that certification.

It does seem a bit odd to pay for a job.
Then again you never know, that may be the only way to buy some "juice".
In Vegas it was widely known that after say 6 months of dealing experience one could move up the food chain faster if they paid casino bosses and employment agents for a job.
Everyone was doing that in the 90's at least.
Prices ranged from about $400. for a OK job to over $1,000 for say a gig on the strip in a new casino.
My old friend was a games dealer and worked part-time with a retired games dealer who ran a dealing school and employment agency for dealing jobs.
They also found very temp. jobs for dealers, say a casino had several dealers going on holiday at once or some big convention was in town and they wanted to open up more tables then they had dealers for, they would hire dealers who were willing to work on the days off from their normal casino jobs.
I did that a few times, a good way to check out a casino before actually trying to get hired there.
Maybe the teaching schools are the same thing here?
Naw, probably not because the money wouldn't be there, how much can anyone pay to learn English? There must be a few who are willing to shell out big bucks to try and learn fast but even so, how fast can anyone learn a language no matter how good the teacher.

In Budapest is very hard to find good accommodation for good price. ingatlan.com is good, but lot of owner rent flat only with 1-2 year contract and with 1-3 month deposit. Are you found accommodation in Bp?