Applying for Partner Permit Within Holland?

Hi.

I am non-eu, Mexican. I have been in the Netherlands 3 times, one for an internship and have been in a long distance relationship since 2012 with my Dutch bf. We now want to apply for a residence permit for me as his unmarried partner. He has also been here, in Mexico, 4 times and we talk almost daily on Whatsapp, Skype so we can document our long standing relationship. In total we have lived together a year and a half, either in Mex or NL.

I was wondering if as a non EU citizen I could apply for a residence permit change, say I go to the Netherlands for work reasons and then decide to apply for a change of purpose. Could this process be done while I am legally residing in the Netherlands and also, could I take the civic integration exam there or would I have to return to my country first?

Anyone has any knowledge or experience?

Thanks.

It will be a lot easier if your relationship was formal (i.e. married, or a legally recognised partnership).  Without this, as a non-EU citizen, you will need to go through the same process as everybody else does (i.e. MVV), then try to get a job - you can't do that from within Holland.  At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section, from there you get access to our Expat Guides which contain information that you may find useful in achieving this.

Once you've read those, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team