Do and don't in Bahrain

Are you living in Bahrain? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Bahrain?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Bahrain?

Thanks!

Bahrain is pretty westernised so customs aren't terribly important to take into consideration. If you slip up you won't be pulled up on it.

When meeting Bahrainis or Saudis, men may shake hands, using their right hand (never shake hands with your left hand as this is the hand that you are meant to use when washing after visiting the WC). Women should wait until the Bahraini or Saudi choose to extend their hand, it is up to the man whether he feels comfortable with shaking your hand or not. This isn't anything to be offended about from what I can tell though.

I think thats all I know regarding local customs, like I said, it's very westernised!

:)

Shopaholics right, it is very westernised, altho I would add that some ares of bahrain are very religous, so ladies in tight clothing, exposing shoulders or too much clevage can cause offence. You also may get some funny looks for eating with your left hand, for the same reason as above (WC). Another one is PDA's (Public Displays of Affection)which are not going to get you in trouble, but may cause offence, so try and keep the hugs, kisses and hand holding to a minimum in public.

The big one is Ramadan, this is a very big religious festival in which muslims fast between dawn and dusk for a lunar month. there are rules which must be followed during this month, the main being that you are not allowed to eat, drink or smoke during daylight hours in public. that means no tea, coffee, water, booze, smoking in your car, on the street anything. i cannot stress this enough, it is not just frowned upon, it practically is a jailable offence! A by-product of this is most restaurants etc are closed during the day, and all bars/clubs close down for the month (except for some private members clubs).

All that said, it does tend to be a bit of a carnival atmosphere once the suns gone down, with people gathering to eat and celebrate together.

Ramadan changes every year, this year it is roughly 22nd Aug - 19th Sept dependant on the new moon.

:up:

The clothing bit I would disagree with. People might get personally offended or stare, but I have seen women wear close to nothing and going about their business no problem.

about shaking hands it's not complex as that

JUST DO IT !!!

I quite frequently see Arab men who will not put out their hand to women. Some will reluctantly shake hands if the woman puts her hand out, but you see they appear to be rather uncomfortable. But its not universal.

I have also seen couples both hold hands and kiss openly on the street..both Bahraini and foreign couples. Guess times they are a changing with the new guard coming in, and the old are on their way out. Wahey..the end of micromanagement of our lives. ;)