North-oriented

Hi

I'll move to Malta in a couple of weeks and I already found a really nice apartment but it's north oriented. It's actually on the 5th floor of a new 6 floors building (double glazed windows). Do you think I would have problems with the heating during the winter? I heard it's getting pretty cold :(

Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You should be fine on the 5 th floor. The 6 th floor (penthouse) might have a cooling problem and a heating problem in the winter due to exposure but your apartment is inbetween.

To be comfortable you will probably need a gas heater or electric heater as it just cools down by January/Febuary , especially at night. Direct sun during the day would not help that much to stay warm in the evening.

Double-glazing in a new apartment will keep out the wind , especially in a higher building. Your problem might be more the summer heat but for that north-facing is good!

Regards
Ricky

Hello,

Yes it will be cold in winter.
After it depends if you prefer to have too hot or to have too cold.

Winter is 4 months long (especially this year) summer is 2 (and last one was not so much warm.

so make your choice.
In fact only after 1 year you have an idea if it's bette north or south oriented...

I think you are worrying too much about the weather, the perfect solution for summer and winter does not exist, unfortunately.

I would say that in winter you can always wear something more, even at home, while in summer there's no way you can feel better when it's heating, without the air-conditioner.

Plus, if the building is not directly hit by wind from the sea and if it is not too old, you won't have big issues, trust me.

Thanks, guys!

I'll probabily take the apartment. I'll let you know how it goes! ;)

In winter, I would nearly recommend a dehumidifier over a heater, especially if you end up drying clothes inside. We managed to get by with a very small electric heater, but I think a dehumidifier would have made us more comfortable. As all the Maltese will tell you here, "It's not that cold, it's the humidity."