Enrolling kids in school in CA

Hi, does anyone know if I am supposed to get special permission to enrol my kids in a Californian public school? We are getting the appropriate visas to live and work there, but I can't work out if I need to make a special application or pay fees to have the kids taught by the State of California.
Does anyone know? The kids are aged 5 and 8 (grades K and 4)

Hi lis67,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Hi,

In California for public school enrollment you must send your kids to the school district that matches your residential address. The school will ask you for a utility bill with your name and address on it. There are no fees for public school. You have lunch cards to purchase and possibly some clubs require a small fee. Public school has no uniforms and if your kids are absent a lot you might have to pay a per day penalty fee.

You might be able to apply to a school out of your residential district if your child is exceptionally bright, they have the Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) programs but it depends on how full the school you are trying to get into is.

The website below has a list of all the schools and how they rate(member reviews not official), public and private. You can also get an idea of where you would like to move if it's not settled yet.

greatschools.org/california/

Please let me know if you need any more information. I am moving back to California this summer.

cheers,
Sandra