Retired Canadian couple

Looking to do Thailand next year, six months & six in canada.currently doing that for last ten years in Costa Rica. Research just beginning, Phuket seems like a good start as golf, tennis and beach important. Looking forward to this fourm for tips and info.

Hi bart, Phuket is a good choice but i could also highly recommend Hua Hin, has the beaches and golf , more older /retired types would visit Hua Hin , beaches arent as busy , only 3 hours by bus from Bangkok airports .check it out buddy

Thanks terry I will research that area. I need tennis so hopefully there's something there. Finding it a little overwhelming as never done Thailand. Need all the help I can get. Are u still there?

Im back home in northern ireland now, i lived in hua hin for quite some time and miss it more than anything.  Check out some of these sites , you wont be disappointed . www.truearenahuahin.com , https://youtu.be/j1LJbqPFWYs,   , https://youtu.be/rV_g7lRyxr8
     Cheers Terry

The six months in Canada is smart.  Something I need to do.
Why did you stop going to CR?

Actually still in C R. Thailand was planned for next year. Feel I need a change and Thailand has been on the list. C R has become very expensive, especially with our low $canadian . More research I'm doing on Thailand tells me it's not the bargain it was.   Also concerning reports of polluted beaches,ie Hua Hin where I planned to go?

Bart Alexandra wrote:

Actually still in C R. Thailand was planned for next year. Feel I need a change and Thailand has been on the list. C R has become very expensive, especially with our low $canadian . More research I'm doing on Thailand tells me it's not the bargain it was.   Also concerning reports of polluted beaches,ie Hua Hin where I planned to go?

You need to watch the dates on some of the reporting on pollution... Some of the Hua Hin reporting was from 2013 and is being recycled over and over again by bloggers... Not saying all the beaches are great... and things wash up from time to time... but, I was in Hua Hin in Feb 2017 earlier this year and the beaches were just fine...

Of course, some of the best beaches are on the west side of Thailand along the Andaman Sea and around Phuket & Krabi. On the gulf side the best beaches are on the islands off the mainland like Koh Samui or Koh Lan near Pattaya, etc.

Good luck...

Thanks for that info, this is what I am looking for. Hua Hin is top of my list, tennis club (the arena) is close by and a guieter area?? Any more info on the areas you mentioned what be appreciated.

Not sure where in CR you live or if you've been to Thailand before and explored...but, there is a huge difference in the condition (pollution/trash/overcrowding) of the beaches/ocean and many rivers.  The forests (no wildlife).  The National Parks are almost a joke. 

The costs have gone up, more so in some of the places you mention, so if that is a major incentive to coming here, think about that as it might not be the big savings it once was or that it's purported to be.

It is easy to live here, as far as visa, infrastructure, etc. and cheap to take flights out, which I do more often each year.

Good luck with your research.