Moving to the Netherlands

From my understanding of the IND website, in order to move to the Netherlands with a partner, that partner must be able to financially support you, making around 1,600 euros a month. My partner is a medical intern, and unfortunately in the Netherlands, they are not paid for their work. So this creates a huge problem for us, as he won't start getting paid for 3 more years.

My question is, if I have enough money saved, would they allow me to move there? I would like to move  there and look for a job that way, because it's much easier than applying to jobs all the way from America, when there are plenty of qualified Dutch workers who will obviously be the first pick.

This may be a stupid question. From my understanding of the IND website, they want me to have money coming in each month, (the 1,600 euros) so I am assuming the answer to my question is "no." Because just having that money saved, wouldn't be enough for what they are requiring. And I definitely don't have anyone here in the US who is willing to send me 1,600 euros a month :P

But I figured it's worth asking. as I don't want to miss any opportunities or give up too soon.

Hi again.  :)

I'm not going to repeat what you've already said, I think you've just about summed it up perfectly.

A question, your "partnership"; is this a legally documented relationship?  It would make it a lot easier if it was.

By legally documented, are you asking if we are married?

We aren't married, and I believe we wouldn't even be allowed to unless he makes that same income, the 1,600 euros per month. Correct me if i am wrong though :)

Families have different rights; they have the right of reunification; check out this link.

Thank you again for your help, it's greatly appreciated :)

Quick question: the right of reunification...does that mean the 1,600EU per month would no longer be required?

There could be a requirement, but there are clauses if you/your partner are unable to meet these requirements; it then goes on to advise contact with IND for clarification.  I'd recommend that your partner makes an appointment with IND and explain the circumstances, you'll then know for certain.

Thank you!