Do and don't in Turkey

Are you living in Turkey? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Turkey?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Turkey?

Thanks!

live in turkey as u live in EU but
do nt be drunk in public
do nt talk politics :)
do nt look at women for too long in public
dress smart and do nt show all ur luxury itelsm or your private parts

Firstly, there are many cultures in Turkey. The life in Istanbul is different than the life in some village in the east part of Turkey. There, you would, not surprisingly, be in a more conservative environment, even as a male. For example, I lived in a small village in the north of Turkey for my first two years. It wasn't easy to adapt because there was never much to do- and I was not a big partier. So adaption depends on what you are used to.
Turks can be some of the most welcoming people on earth. They love to meet new people and I have had no great regrets that I moved here.(Not every day is perfect, of course)It is important to come with the right attitude and to remember the Golden Rule.
Do's and Don'ts? You shouldn't expect that you will somehow fit in 100%. You will always in one way or the other be a foreigner. Accept it.
It will also help if you don't try to force your rules and expectations on the culture. Oh, that is next to impossible (I am the worst offender, but my excuse is that I have been here a long time.) but try to keep in mind that your way and Turk's way are not always the same. You will only make yourself totally unhappy if you want to make Turkey into what you left behind. That isn't to say you have no right to complain, of course. Turks complain about their culture too.
There's the old saw about avoiding discussions on religion and politics. You would be surprised how the most free-thinking open minded person can suddenly become a rabid nationalist. So unless you know that person you should avoid it and refuse to be baited, even if you have to change the subject.
Sometimes you will be forced to represent your country's history, or your government's policies or many other things you have had nothing to do with. Accept it with grace and shrug and a winning smile. Practice your winning smile. It will get you far in Turkey.

I love the comment of nomadicview, and in general, I agree.
Only not that Turks are the most welcoming country on earth: I travelled to more than 50 and lived in 8, and Turkey is the same welcoming as the Greeks. Or the Italians ins the 60'ties, the Spanish and Portugues in the 70'ties. Hospitality is great in Turkey, especial in the commercial way.
In 2002 I moved to Turkey, and I don't regret it. I am married to a Turkish woman and I live here happily.
But to speak your mind freely, no, never do that. There is no freedom of thought in Turkey, less than for example in Thailand!
And yes, as nomadicview pointed out, never impose your culture on others, not in Turkey and not in one country of the world.)!
Kindest

I did say "Turks can be the most welcoming people in the world." I think I left plenty of wiggle room there. :)
I would like to clarify something here. I'd never say there is no freedom of thought in Turkey because I don't actually agree with that rather broad statement. I was speaking in social terms and general politeness. I usually prefer to listen and when asked, comment.

In my opinion, speaking one's mind is quite possible as long as it is done in a respectful and judicious manner. I don't pretend to know everything and I, astonishingly, I have been wrong before.
Turks can be proud and like all proud people, slightly defensive about things anyone else would take for granted.  Nobody likes hearing only negative things about one's own country and if one chooses to openly criticize Turkey and its institutions without a careful consideration of your audience, you may be asking for trouble. At the end of the day, is it really necessary to win every argument at the risk of making a nuisance of yourself?

I completely agree with everything you've written on this topic, nomadic view.

Me and my partner have been in Fethiye for 6 years on and off and have many Turkish friends.I am fully aware of their political views because they tell me. The important thing is to try and understand where they are coming from (I've done a hell of a lot of reading about Turkey while I've been here), even if you don't agree with them.

We love this country and the friends we've made here - and completely accept that no matter how long we're here, we'll always be 'yabancilar.' This doesn't offend me in the slightest. What's important is friendship and there's a lot of it about - if you go to the right places. Never jump in with both feet. Take your time to get to know people. Common sense.