Close

Settling in France

Bonjour !

I am from Norway and I recently moved to France to live with my boyfriend. We have been toghether for almost two years, traveled back and forth visiting eachother before we finally decided to settle down in France. I don't speak french yet and I find it hard to "navigate" on my own.

We live at the riviera close to Italy and it seems difficult to find english-speaking work around here.
I visited the norwegian embassy who recommended a membership in Caisse Primaire d'Assurance-Maladie. If someone could explain how this work?

Any tips or advice is much appreciated!

Ida  :)

Hi Ida!

I'm on the same boat as you. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years and I've finally made the decision to settle in France. Finding work for native english speakers isn't as easy as I thought either. I'm not sure what Caisse Primaire d'Assurance-Maladie really entails. But I have a few other job options you may want to consider:

- Teaching english to elementary school children or teaching norwegian

- Work at a "formation center" to train working French citizens English or Norwegian. Here is a link as an example: https://www.adiscos.com/. I'm pretty sure this is one of many formation centers in France. Try finding one in your city.

- Babysitting - I was able to find a babysitting job from my boyfriend's co-worker. Networking is essential in France!

QUESTION for you:
- Could you also explain your experience when you visited the norwegian embassy? If I wanted to go to the US Embassy would I have to make an appointment? I would like to ask them questions regarding work for Americans/native English speakers in France as well. And do you know why your embassy recommended the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance-Maladie to you?

Thank you!

Caitlin

Hi Caitlin!

Thank you for some great advice, I will look into that :)

For your question:

I visited the norwegian embassy web page, my bad, I didn't complete the sentence. But they have alot of information about staying/living in France, I guess the US embassy have the same?

I don't really know for the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance-Maladie, that's what I wanted to find out. Alas I don't need a visum til stay in France. But they wrote that if you are having a franch employer or are staying in France more then one year, they recomend a membership.

Ida :)

CPAM is how you sign up for health coverage in France.

Expatriate health insurance in France

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in France

Moving to France

Find tips from professionals about moving to France

Travel insurance in France

Enjoy stress-free travel to France