Advice on housing location/ safety etc in Manchester

Hello,

I am writing in from Qatar where I currently live. I and my husband along with our 4 year old would be moving to Manchester in may 2018. My husband would be working for the South Manchester NHS Trust primarily in Wythenshawe.

We are looking at an area that is accessible to/from Wythenshawe as well as Withington. Is Withington itself a safe area for families? Is it safe for me or my son to move around even when a little late or pretty early in the morning .. are there good schools (primary) in the area? What sort of area is it? Is it pricey to rent? Would I need a car? Is public transport good?

We may be looking for a spacious 2-3 bdr (preferably not in a high rise tower)  What areas could I look at? And what approximate rental rates could I be looking at for my requirement?we don't want to move into an extremely crowded area and neither do we want complete isolation of outskirts.. looking more or less for a good community with parks. .good schools..safety most importantly ..

I keep reading on crimes in many areas of Manchester ..is it as bad as it sounds or is it a media hype? Are there any areas that are always known to be safe ?

Does manchester have any residential communities as such with low rise apartments ,town houses etc and facilities within etc?

Any useful information is appreciated.

Regards .
AM.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section, if you select that you will get access to our Expat Guides, these contain many articles written by other expats that may help you in your journey.

Manchester is one of the UK's largest cities; this link will take you to the Numbeo website which provides information on many subjects about the area.

Wythenshawe is in the South West of the city, quite close to the International airport and is on the tram route into Manchester, which pretty much opens up most of Manchester as a place to live.

A quick look at the internet tells me that Worsley, the Heatons, Didsbury, Chorlton and Sale are popular places to live, but I guess they will be expensive.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team