Close

Nervous and excited about unexpectantly moving the family to Merida!

Hello! My name is Haley, and I currently live in Oklahoma, USA with my husband and two small children. My husband is a Mexican citizen who hasn't even visited Mexico in about 20 years, however when he was in Mexico applying for his permanent residency this week he was denied and can not return to the US for at least a year. We were caught totally off guard with this decision, but trying our best to deal with it and be back together as a family! I am expediting our passports now, and he is traveling to Merida to look for housing as I speak. Needless to say it is crazy that we are now moving to Merida in less than a month! I was wanting any helpful information on good neighborhoods to look for family friendly living, any travel tips for traveling alone with two littles, or just anyone who wanted to chat who currently lives in the area!

haleyakahaley :

Hello! My name is Haley, and I currently live in Oklahoma, USA with my husband and two small children. My husband is a Mexican citizen who hasn't even visited Mexico in about 20 years, however when he was in Mexico applying for his permanent residency this week he was denied and can not return to the US for at least a year. We were caught totally off guard with this decision, but trying our best to deal with it and be back together as a family! I am expediting our passports now, and he is traveling to Merida to look for housing as I speak. Needless to say it is crazy that we are now moving to Merida in less than a month! I was wanting any helpful information on good neighborhoods to look for family friendly living, any travel tips for traveling alone with two littles, or just anyone who wanted to chat who currently lives in the area!

Wow it seems you have had quite a time. I don't understand why your husband was denied residency. I suspect it had to do with some paperwork or change in a law.  I would recommend he talk to a lawyer here. After 20 years it might just be not being able to prove he is actually a citizen of Mexico by birth.

I live 2 hours north of Merida and visit there often. I also  have a Mexican friend who lived there for many years. If you tell me what your budget is I will ask him.

Obviously the area near el centro and the area around Altabrisa plaza would be fairly safe and good for a family, but may be over your budget. You can check housing at the top of the forum page to see what is out there , and check prices.

I'm assuming your husband is Spanish speaking which will help, 20 years is a long time without Spanish.

Buena suerte

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mexico