Washing machines

I was wondering how much a new good size portable washing machines are on n the dr??? The double wash and spin...and what about a regular washing machine line in the states ,,how much would costs??? Bavaro  area

A typical  Dominican machine - starts about 8,000RD and up.  it sold based on capacity. Don't bother with a small one. You will do laundry for the rest of your life. A large capacity will run you about  16,000RD

An automatic machine will run you about  18,000 to  32,000RD depending on  brand and capacity.

I just bought one - Frigidaire 33 pound capacity and paid 21,000RD for it.

DO not buy one that is fully digital. You will go crazy trying to get it fixed. Old fashioned knobs we can get fixed here.

Thank you ,,great information ...

You are so right about increased technology leads to in ability to get things repaired.  The simpler the better.

Bob K

Hahaha...still love telling my washing machine saga...good times...but, we love our old school Whirlpool...not a fan of hose and spinner type...but, totally get why they are so common...

I remember first time i saw one in use here. Brought back memories of my mother using one!

They certainly do the job AND you can easily carry one while on the back of a motoconcho!   :D:D:D

I remember when we first moved here 12 year ago it was my wife's birthday a week later.  So when I came back from the store with a new Dominican portable washer I wished her a happy birthday....still not out of the dog house for that one :D:D:D

Bob K

I can imagine!!!! hahahahaha

Hello!

Your posts are very helpful. I relocated at Dominican Republic for about a year and arrived a few days ago. I would like to know where you purchased the frigidaire wash machine and if you know of a place where I can purchase a TV at a reasonable price.

Good morning and welcome to the forums. I have no idea where in Rio dan Juan. I purchased washing machine at Corripio in Puerto Plata.

Tv -  literally best price is here in Santo Domingo. Close to you, sorry no idea.

Thank you! I will visit corripio in puerto plata!!! And look for TV in Santo Domingo 😊

Be sure to take in cosideraton the time, expense & wear & tear in getting there & the return. You might not be saving much at all if any. have to consider the repair etc. problems associated with long distance purchaces.  Buying locally, or close be might prove to be the best deal of all.  Welcome & good luck on your searches. Let us know how you make out.  Thanks.

Thank you! I didn't consider all that.. very useful information. Thanks again

Good points.  Corripio has stores all over so you should be fine in that regard.  Price tv's there too.

Aretoula
Welcome.
Yes it will be worth the drive to PP and Corpio.  You may also find a good deal at La Sirena while you are in PP.
Also look at Lunares (la)rge hardware store in CAbarete as you drive through) they have a washers and TVs at competitive prices and you will get a 10% discount (you have to ask for it) if you pay cash.
Bob K

Do not buy any appliances or electronics at la sirena regardless of price. They will NOT stand behind their products!

Thank you Bob!!
I will definitely stop by cabarete first and check out the store! It's quite close to Río San Juan.. your advice was very helpful also. I'm glad I found this site! 😊

You are welcome.  We have bought many appliances from Lunares especially when we were outfitting our condo in Cabarete.  We still send clients there.

You might also check out Popeterria (another large hardware and houseware store) in Sosua.  It is on the left side of the road as you are  driving into Sosua before your reach town.  Big two story building.  We have bought lots of stuff there including furniture, and a stove and refrig.  They will stand behind there products as well.  One of the owners (Alexandria) is always there and speaks perfect English.  She is interested in helping Expats get what they need.

Bob K

Great info Bob

Also check out Inoa y Reyes between Rio San Juan and Cabarete we've seen better Deals there than at Corripio and la sirenas...And It's closet AND they deliver...

LOL...closer...this time is was autocorrect

I am looking at a whirlpool stacked washer and dryer.  It has a porcelain tub and the fabric softener automatically puts it in the was when its the right time and the bleach also.  It has auto dry and sensors so it stops when the clothes are finished and you don't end up drying them for longer and ruining the clothes.  The top part (the dryer) is gas so we will put a tank next to it for saving on electric and the bottom part for the washing machine is electric.  I looked up the unit online it retails for $1,500 in USA and the black Friday pricing they give all month here and the price at Corripio is $1,200.  Seems like a good idea to me but I don't know anything bout DR any feedback if this a good idea?

It sounds like a decent deal.  The issue is - how will you get it here?  You will pay shipping plus duty plu tax of 18%. 

It will end up costing you so much more.

We have stacking washers and dryers here.  I am not sure we have those specific ones here or not.  Corripio seems to have more current models available.

Based in Santo Domingo, I have had a stacked Whirlpool washer dryer bought here at Plaza Lama for some 3 years with gas dryer and was installed by them. It does not have the sensor features, rather straightforward knob controls, and my recollection was that it cost about 1200usd. No problems so far and customer support from outlets like Plaza Lama is pretty good.

Just to add, with also using propane gas for cooking as well as drying, we spend about 50usd every 4 to 5 months on gas. About 10usd a month for 2 of us with plenty of washing/drying.

My view is you do need a dryer in DR due to humidity and rain, making natural drying challenging. I've had an electric tub dryer here but it didn't last long.

Scot 18684

Call Jesus at Awilda Shipping in NYC and ask him what the cost will be.

He will quote you to your door.... no 18% tax
Free ship to him.... it arrives about 2 weeks later

Use Webster/Casa El Faro /Cabrera as your reference

I have been here 16 years and never had a drier.  Yes there are times it's a bit more challenging to get things dry but I have no real issues with line drying!  And it's better for the environment.

Willie - I wonder when aduanas is going to stop the door to door shippers?  Take advantage of it while you can.

2 other points to make about buying appliances.

1. The moment you take it out of USA you void the warrantee

2.  Anything with knobs vs electronic controls is easier to fix here!

Correct about repairs....

Haven't heard anything about shutting down Mudanzas...
quite a big business....like the Taxi Union
might be hard to eliminate

So many expat Doms use them for food/clothing/etc

Sorry for confusion it's here in Santiago the washer at Corripio

then its a  good deal.

One of the things that has not been mentioned here is the ubiquitous discount many stores offer. You have to ask for it. They will never offer it to you.

Don't be afraid to ask the salesperson how much discount they can give you. If they say none, ask to talk to their supervisor.  They won't kick you out of the store for asking, and lots of times a simple " xxx store has it cheaper" will get a few pesos knocked off.

I've received between 5-10% on many occasions. 

Get into the habit of asking everywhere you are buying anything. You may be surprised.

Yes I always ask and he said it was the Black Friday pricing which started on the first of the month I compared the price online and it is $300 more in USA

planner wrote:

DO not buy one that is fully digital. You will go crazy trying to get it fixed. Old fashioned knobs we can get fixed here.

In those cases what I do is to buy extended warranty in parts and service,  that way Im sure even when expire there will ba a rapair place to go paying from my pocket if need it.

My credit card covers me for extended warranty even if it's bought international

That wont work here Scott,  have you actually tried making it work?

Of course it works as long as it has a US manufacturer warranty it doesn't matter where you buy it.  Yes I have several times I had a brand new replacement couch from Ashley furniture worth $2,000 USD.  It even says on the benefit description international purchases are fine as long as it has an original US manufacturer warrenty

The problem with the electronic stuff is hardly any of it is stocked locally. The is still a good chance it will takes days if not weeks or months to get that electronic part even with a warranty.
Don't tempt the devil..ha ha

Scott18684 wrote:

Of course it works as long as it has a US manufacturer warranty it doesn't matter where you buy it.  Yes I have several times I had a brand new replacement couch from Ashley furniture worth $2,000 USD.  It even says on the benefit description international purchases are fine as long as it has an original US manufacturer warrenty

AND they delivered your new furniture HERE to the DR?

If it's gonna take months then it's gonna take months even if you live in the USA.  I always ask about the different models and make sure they service it locally and there is no issue getting parts.

I already told you I'm buying here locally at la Curaçao ....it is a whirlpool stacked washer/dryer which had a one year USA manufacturer warrenty.  My credit card extends that to two years it doubles any warrenty up to two years as long as it has a US manufacturer warrenty it doesn't matter where you buy it