Close

How hard is it? Egyptian Engineer In France

Hello,

I am a mechanical engineer and i have moved to france with my wife 2 months ago, upon my arrival i started applying in jobs online (engineering jobs) while i only speak english and like an elementary level french, thing is i did get calls although i thought its impossible because i am not sure that my degree (engineering bachelor from cairo university, egypt) is accredited here or not anyway all employers polietly (most of them) rejected me after knowing that i can not even hold a phone conversation in french, I am taking french lessons and i am improving but i have got some questions...

1- how much time did it take you to learn french enough to be hired?

2- How to know if my egyptian engineering degree is accredited here? and if it is would they hire an egyptian engineer and would my name (eslam) cause trouble??

3- How to reach out and make friends in this city? most of the people are kinda mean to be honest

thank you in advance :)

Eslam.AbdElKader :

Hello,

I am a mechanical engineer and i have moved to france with my wife 2 months ago, upon my arrival i started applying in jobs online (engineering jobs) while i only speak english and like an elementary level french, thing is i did get calls although i thought its impossible because i am not sure that my degree (engineering bachelor from cairo university, egypt) is accredited here or not anyway all employers polietly (most of them) rejected me after knowing that i can not even hold a phone conversation in french, I am taking french lessons and i am improving but i have got some questions...

1- how much time did it take you to learn french enough to be hired?

2- How to know if my egyptian engineering degree is accredited here? and if it is would they hire an egyptian engineer and would my name (eslam) cause trouble??

3- How to reach out and make friends in this city? most of the people are kinda mean to be honest

thank you in advance :)

1. Learning a language takes A LOT OF work and dedication. You must work on it every day and not just speak your native language all day with your family or you will never learn.
2. Regarding your degree, I am surprised that you didn't check before coming to France. Try your consulate, they should be able to direct you. Unemployment is high in France so unless you can offer skills that other candidates don't have, it might take time to find a job.
3. If you come here with the thinking that people are mean, it will be difficult to make friends IMO

Best wishes to you :-)

Expatriate health insurance in France

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in France

Moving to France

Find tips from professionals about moving to France

Travel insurance in France

Enjoy stress-free travel to France