Traffic in Russia

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Russia, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Russia?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

since I am just a poor professor in a small city, buying a car is not an option for me.

I used public transportation to commute.

here, I made some short documentation.

youtu.be/1TapKrul194

enjoy

A bunch of little things I've noticed regarding getting around in Moscow ...

The underground metro is the usual means on transport inside Moscow, along with trains and buses. You can now purchase a Troika card for all of these, but many of the buses in surrounding towns do not accept it.

If riding the trains, you will receive a little scrap of paper as your ticket - do not throw it away until you have left the station at your destination. Technically buses are supposed to provide you with a ticket upon payment but they almost never do, and it's almost never required.

As with some other things here, cabs are ubiquitous and relatively inexpensive in Moscow, so, if you have some money, it's not a bad way to get around.

If riding a boat on the river, I suggest purchasing your pass waterside, since online sites jack up the price for tourists.

Commute times around Moscow can vary quite a bit, depending on location and road conditions. Some sections of the circular MKAD highway, for example, are are known to be typically slower than others. People in Moscow generally begin work at 9AM and leave at 6PM. If commuting, I'd suggest leaving a bit early in the morning to avoid traffic. What might be a 40-minute drive some days may be a 2-hour drive others. If you can, use the metro.

Many people both young and old use scooters, skateboards, and bikes. Don't be surprised if you see children riding their bikes inside the grocery store. Many of the outdoor walkways are paved with cobblestone bricks, meaning they are a little bumpy.

My personal advice is to be careful in crosswalks - step out clearly while politely but firmly staring at the vehicles as they approach, ready in case a driver does not stop. I was surprised to see that, although some other rules may be disobeyed here, generally everyone uses the crosswalks for their own safety, and maybe because the roads are icy in winter, so not easy to run across. Some of the crosswalks allow diagonal walking, which is pretty cool.

If driving, be careful, because on days with slow traffic, vendors often stand in the middle of the highway selling ice cream and whatnot. Other things to look out for: do not stand in doorways of buses or trains, or they may slam shut on you. it's okay to gently push the person in front of you and say 'razreshitye'. And there are a couple low-hanging bits of concrete at the metro entrances downtown that can give the head a whollup.

I've never driven in Moscow - compared to where I'm from in the US, it looks pretty intense, with cars often trying to push past each other in merging lanes. That said, I've also ridden in vehicles that drove more sedately, so I suppose it's possible. Personally, I was a bit excited to see European car brands that are rare in the US: Renault, Skoda, Peugeot.

I can't speak to parking, but I'd sometimes see cars parked with their wheels on the curb - this practice surprises me, as I imagine it damages tires.

Hi, I been in moscow for 5-6 months. Normally high traffic from 8am till 11 am. In evening same business hours over time. But in center mostly all time huge traffic jam. Car parking as far as I paid in center is 40-60 ruble/ hr. this is normal. Not felt very expensive. I living in south oblast vednoe. Here peak hrs traffic jam too till I not reached M4 highway. I feel best is metro if you in city. That is easiest and fastest way. Taxi will be very expensive if stuck in jam. I still don't know language and if you don't know language too be prepared for language issues. Best wishes for your tour. ))

Here in Amarillo Texas, parking is free and rush hour is about 15 ,minutes to a half hour,depending on where you are going. In Council Bluffs, Iowa, it was awful. Roughly the same size town as Amarillo, but everything took at least twice as long and they were so expensive that you had to pay for parking at the library! I had never heard of such a thing.

You need to get a bike.
Any size bike.
I do not judge women.
Ride a bike for two days with a HELEMT.
Then tell me what it is like to drive in all
of Russia.
Paul