Traffic in the Netherlands

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in the Netherlands, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in the Netherlands?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Well this question depends on cities, on my side here my wife lives up north in Groningen which is barely jammed like the big cities however it is best to avoid driving around 5 PM in that area.

Hi Priscila
to avoid traffic in Netherland there is many options and the 1st one is cycling.

Hi,

I've lived and worked around the globe and can safely say that the traffic controls and road safety in general are top notch in The Netherlands compared to most other countries which helps keep traffic flowing as best as possible. There are the usual peak hour queues which in my opinion are not terrible. However, whether or not to drive is subjective and driving might not be your first/best choice for getting around...

The public transport system here allows you to travel around quite easily, and AFAIK employees tend to cover your travel costs to work anyway, so this is a preference for many. Cycling to work/school in The Netherlands is popular as well if you don't have a great distance to cover -- The Netherlands has an extremely comprehensive network of cycling paths enabling you to cycle the length and breadth of the entire country.

Those who live in remote areas prefer to cycle or drive to the nearest public transport hub, park their vehicles for the day and then hop onto a metro/tram/bus/train to their destination.

I hope you this helps.