Traffic in Bulgaria

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Bulgaria, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Bulgaria?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Well it depends quite a alot on the city you're living in. If a smaller one - then there are no traffick jams, no waiting in the car etc ... However, if in a big city, especially Sofia, things are quite different.
For Sofia (and probably Plovdiv, Varna, Bourgas, Rousse, Stara Zagora) rush hours are between 7.30 and 9.30 AM, 11.30 AM and 2.30 PM, 5.00 PM and 7.00 PM.
I don't adwise on driving a car through the city center during these time intervals.
Parking is actually quite possible, excluding the top center area and costs 2.00 BGN/per hour in Blue Zone and 1.00 BGN in Green Zone areas(for Sofia). You can pay by SMS which is quite convenient.

I'd recommend against driving in Sofia, if at all possible. It's not so much the heavy traffic, although there is that, but also just the way people drive. It's awful, as is the smog that results from all the people driving. The public transport system -- metro + trams + buses -- is good and blankets the city. The Moovit app works well for travel planning. And if you can't get there that way, taxis are abundant and affordable.

Traffic is like anywhere. Heavy during work hours. In smaller towns far less to no traffic.

How aggressive Bulgarians drive is a different story. I've been honked and yelled at countless times for using the crosswalk.....