Traffic in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Brazil, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Brazil?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

I live in southern Brazil, the city of Novo Hamburgo, Rio Grande do Sul. The traffic is not too congested like other big cities like Rio or São Paulo.

5 minutes!

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?
Rush hours: 0800-0900; 1730-1930. I would avoid driving from 1730-1930!

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Brazil? Yes absolutely.
I would take a train (Novo Hamburgo connecting to different cities up to Porto Alegre, RS). If you live in Curitiba, Parana, their transit system is the most efficient I´ve seen in Brazil. The beach areas in Santa Catarina has a good and efficient bus system especially Florianopolis. WALKING is still the best solution if you live within 10 minutes of all your projected activities!

In Novo Hamburgo where I live, the city parking is like USD 0.30 per hour. The parking
is moderate to difficult to find...

Thanks all!

robal

Which city or area do you live in in Brazil, and how do you find the traffic? ]

I live in Vitoria ES.

We live very close to two supermarkets. The bank is also very close. We have a shopping centre 5 mins away. Shopping and errand can be done within an hour.

Rush hour in the morning 0800 to 1000. afternoon 1500 to 1730.

sometimes there is a faster route but it also may not be a safe one.

There is on street parking which is sometimes difficult to find at certain hours. We also have lots of parking lots.  The on-street parking averages about R$1.00 per hour.  The parking lots are R$3.00 first hour and prorated after. Usually up to R$12 to R$15 per day.  And then you have to deal with the Flanelinha on the street who try to extort money from you for doing nothing.

Jim

In São Jose dos Campos about 1 hour from São Paulo, city of 700 000, we have very little problem with traffic in the city, very very mild rush hour at 6pm for 30 min....

However going to the beaches here is hell on Holidays, everyone from our city heads to the North coast, as well as 1000's from SP capital and other surrounding cities and it can turn a simple two hour drive into a 4 hour plus affair, even nice weekends are tough.
This is because Sao Paulo Capital is such a mega city....
In winter everyone goes into the mountains near Campos do Jordao and it's the same story coming back on a Friday or Saturday.

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

I live in Bertioga, near Santos and São Paulo.  Normally, what traffic? However, during "a temporada" that's a completely different story. From early December through the week after Carnaval, traffic at times will come to a dead stop for up to 30 minutes.

I'm not the right person to ask this question. My commute to work consists of: Walking to the kitchen to grab my Coke Zero, then to the porch for a smoke, then to the bathroom, then to my desk in the bedroom. Once the computer boots up and my email is looked at, I'm at work.

Running errands will depend on the errands. If I need to go to the bank or to pay one of the carnês, getting there is about 10 minutes or so. Getting back might take 15 minutes or so.

Don't need t go anywhere when people are on the way to or from work.

Street and shop parking is abundant and free. There are a couple of pay lots, but they're usually pretty empty.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

The traffic there is a nightmare, it's always bad, whatever time of day you go out.  It's always extremely hot and very dangerous and violent. It's the worst traffic in the world. If I were you I wouldn't even bother going there. I'm English with a Brazilian mother and lived there for most of my life and got out as soon as possible. It's dangerous, stinky, full of thieves and riff raff everywhere. The country is a mess, the government is corrupt and destroyed the economy and everything,  its chaos over there. If you think this is a bit harsh go there and see for yourself. Just trying to help out and open people's eyes and say what things really are like! . Thank you.

Well hell, you could be talking about anywhere in the Deep South in the US with the stinky and full of thieves and our government is currently being run by one of the most corrupt men ever.

Buck up Tigger. It's not all doom and gloom.

Let's turn a discussion about driving into a political one. Back on topic Mike of SP. it's getting old listening to your bellyaching. "Driving in Brazil"

it depend  Which city or area do you live in in Brazil, and how do you find the traffic? 

Rush hour in the morning 0800 to 08:30. afternoon 1730 to 1930.but nomal the road are very good .

Driving in Brazil is definitely an adventure. Don't let it get you down.

Well now Mr Mike, with all the governments and billions of people living in the world I would hardly say that Trump is the most corrupt man who ever lived. In fact you must feel pretty silly saying that. Go read a book, learn about something called history. And you really can't compare a grot hole like Recife even to the deepest pit in the US. if you think it's not so bad go and live there for a few years and tell me.  Tiger.

Speaking the truth has never embarrassed me.

It's the same all over the world. If you live in a densely populated city that relies mostly on cars and trucks to move people and things, there are going to be problems.