Traffic in Barbados

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Barbados, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Barbados?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Which city or area do you live in in Barbados, and how do you find the traffic?

Most people live in villages, and the big city is Bridgetown, with Speightstown and Holetown being minor towns,  and traffic is getting worse all over. In an area of 430 sq KM, there are 140,000 cars at last count. In my area, I can get some places faster riding my bicycle or walking. In the afternoon, along the coastal road (Hwy 7) on the south, I can get out of a bus/van, and while walking to my destination, I will pass that same bus several times, as traffic inches toward the red light at Rendezvous.

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

I do not work. I do errands on my bicycle, and I can go, when I please. It does not take long, as most things are very close.

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

As  in most places, traffic is heavy/congested during the morning hours 7 - 9:30, and while heavy all day, it gets heavier around the late afternoon. This is a good time to walk or ride a bicycle. People work, so there is no avoidance, even the busses get stuck in the traffic.

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Barbados?

People use side roads to move around, but they can get congested as well.

What is parking availability and cost like?

Public Parking downtown Bridgetown is mostly available, and the cost is very reasonable, compared to other major cities. People park where they can, as long as they do not block roads or someone's residence or business.