Using US ATM cards in supermarkets, cash back?

hi, can i use my US ATM cards in supermarkets and cash back with no fee like i do in the states?
thanks.

Not my card anyway.  I am charged a transaction fee every time I use my ATM, though the charge is minimal considering the exchange rate between Mexico and the US.  There are credit cards, such as Capital One, that do not charge transactions fees, but I don't know about other ATM cards.  If you get cash from any ATM here you will be double charged.  First by the local bank handling the transaction, and then from your own bank as a transaction fee.  This has been my experience.  If others know better, I'd love to hear it as well.

It's worth a try, if the exchange rate is better than the ATM with the fees.

I am not an expert but with my bank TD CANADA TRUST, I have an account with no fees using my ATM card to purchase something now it's up to the store if they allow cash back. I think Walmart allows it but very small amount.

Personnaly, we use our ATM cards and withdraw money at mexican ATM'S, the best was at the Banorte ATM in Nuevo Vallarta which allowed the equivalent of 1000$ canadian per withdrawal and up to your daily purchase limit, their fee is 46$ pesos per withdrawal.

You can see what criteria is used looking at the transaction on your internet account a  "V" at the end of the transaction reference number means purchase via internet this was confirmed by TD customer support.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

In my experience, supermarkets will not give cash back on US debit cards. But if you've got a debit card with a Mexican bank, there's no problem.

blueflame wrote:

In my experience, supermarkets will not give cash back on US debit cards. But if you've got a debit card with a Mexican bank, there's no problem.

i'm guessing opening a mexican bank account is not easy if you are just visiting and no fixed address

I think that's true. You've probably got to be a permanent resident.

It just hit me that getting money back using a USA debit card could be viewed as money laundering. Big nono in Mexican banking.

joaquinx wrote:

It just hit me that getting money back using a USA debit card could be viewed as money laundering. Big nono in Mexican banking.

How so?

blueflame wrote:

I think that's true. You've probably got to be a permanent resident.

Not permanent resident, but you need a Mexican address.

joaquinx wrote:

Money laundering is a big nono almost anywhere, though I don't believe you have a valid understanding of what money laundering actually is, based on your statement.  This however, is getting off the topic.

I have a fairly good understanding of money laundering and I don't think this activity would be a crime.

You are thinking of the purchasing foreign money with illegal funds through foreign currency exchanges  part of Money laundering  issue. It would be quite a reach. But who knows currently. Yet I think given that we are not talking about vast amounts of foreign dirty money it wouldn't be an issue.

I said "could be viewed" and not "is". Go ahead and reread my post.

joaquinx wrote:

I said "could be viewed" and not "is". Go ahead and reread my post.

I'm not  sure if you are talking to me joaquinx, but I was just seeing your point only saying it wasn't likely. I noted the "could". ;)

I tried using my BBVA Compass ATM card at the Chedraui in Coatepec, Veracruz for cash back but it didn't go through though the purchase did.  The other day I was asked if I wanted cash back on a credit card.  I didn't need cash and didn't want to take the chance it being a cash advance.

The card I use for purchases I'll pay off at the end of the month does not have a foreign transaction fee and the rate of exchange is within 1 or 2 centavos  of my BBVA Compass ATM card and Chase Visa card.  I use the Chase card for purchases in dollars on which I'm going to carry a balance because it still has a very low APR.

Though I don't know the answer to the original question, my Charles Schwab Visa debit ATM card refunds all ATM fees at the end of the month, and no foreign transaction fees are ever charged. Linked to a free checking account.

My Schwab account was cancelled a month after I opened it because I used an address in Mexico.

can I use my card for other purchases where they take cards?

bothner06 wrote:

can I use my card for other purchases where they take cards?

Depends on the card, Does your bank know you are in Mexico ? That's where the problems come. As for the stores, yes you can use your card in stores that accept that card. Be sure before you arrive that the bank knows you will be visiting Mexico, It will save you having your account frozen while they check for fraud. Then be sure you keep track of where you use that card in case the credit card company has fraud questions.

It's a pain, but once they get the idea it smooths out. It's easy for me because I only use the card in 2 or 3 places. It's simple if a charge was from somewhere else I didn't make it. Otherwise it is much easier using efectivo ( cash).

gudgrief wrote:

My Schwab account was cancelled a month after I opened it because I used an address in Mexico.

Hi to all,

This is correct since you live and reside in Mexico then your physical address is in Mexico thus all transfer services such as XE.COM WORLDREMIT.COM will not allow you to open an account as a US or Canadian citizen with a foreign address related to your bank accounts/debit-credit cards.

Schwab is an investment company, I think, so as an non-resident you can't invest in the USA. For me, the Revenue Canada (Canadian IRS) advised me of such rules.

Here is my eleven years experience living in MX, primarily in Campeche. (Yucatan peninsula )
Bank of America DEBIT card may be used at a Scotia bank atm only incurring a 3% foreign transaction fee imposed by BoA. Depending on the BoA CREDIT card you may or may not be charged a 3% foreign transaction fee for purchases.

NOTE: HSBC. I have a US HSBC Checking account. Using my HSBC DEBIT card in MX to make HSBC atm withdrawals  I incurred the full array of atm withdrawal fees. My US account was treated as an out of network transaction.

I believe Citibank has a partner agreement with Banamex. I can't comment on the fee structure for DEBIT card withdrawals.

CREDIT CARDS: I have only been refused at one establishment (Tony's Papelaria) in Campeche, Campeche the use of a US issued Master/Visa card. They would accept a MX issued card(s).

ADO bus. You need MX card for internet reservation transactions. A US MC/Visa card is  acceptable for walkup transactions, of course with a gov issued ID.

Cablemas/Izzi: I pay my monthly internet fee via their website with a US issued credit card.

Telcel: I purchase saldo via their website with a US issued Visa/MC card.

Only slight variations.

ADO - You can reserve tickets through ADO Movil's phone app with the "Pago En Taquilla" option but have to pick up the tickets 2 hours before departure.  Here in Coatepec, Veracruz there used to be a terminal (not ADO owned) that accepted credit cards.  A month or two ago, they moved to a different part of town and haven't installed a credit card terminal yet.  Being a concession or sucursal, they charge and 8 peso fee, cash only, per ticket.  They changed their phone number after the move so I'll have to take a run by the next time I'm out to find their new phone number.

My BBVA Compass debit card allows me to use BBVA Bancomer ATMS with only a 1% International Transaction fee and no Foreign ATM Fee.  BBVA Compass is based in Birmingham and has branches Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, and Texas.

There were periodic problems using BBVA Compass cards at BBVA Bancomer ATMs.  But that appears to have been resolved in the last year.

https://www.bbvacompass.com/?cid=sem:br … al-cons:::[bbva-compass]:exa:::text:

There are several Mexican websites that won't accept US cards over the Internet,

I tried using my BBVA Compass Debit Card in a Chedraui supermarket to get cashback without success.

My Bank of America credit card doesn't charge a separate International Transaction Fee and the Rate of exchange is within a few centavos of my other debit and credit cards.

That's a surprise to me.  I believe I tried my BofA Debit Card in Walmart Mexico and it didn't go through 3 or 4 years ago.

This year I tried my BBVA Compass card in a Chadraui and also didn't go through.
I'd appreciate knowing at which stores you can get cash back and what bank your ATM Card is from.

I just used my Wells Fargo Visa debt card at Walmart in Rosarito and paid for items with cash back with no problems.  WF charged me 1% foreign transaction fee.  Not sure what the exchange rate, if any, was with Walmart as I didn't compare the peso on the receipt to what showed up on my WF statement in USD.  I'll try to do that next time.

jamesr3939 wrote:

I just used my Wells Fargo Visa debit card at Walmart in Rosarito and paid for items with cash back with no problems.  WF charged me 1% foreign transaction fee.  Not sure what the exchange rate, if any, was with Walmart as I didn't compare the peso on the receipt to what showed up on my WF statement in USD.  I'll try to do that next time.

Not to single any business, bank or debit card out for special treatment, For the businesses I shop at in Coatepec and Xalapa, earlier in Zacatecas, the stores had ATM's right in the store for the bank that gave me the best deal.  Or there was a convenient branch along the way.  It would be interesting to see if there's a difference between cashback and ATM taking any International Transaction Fee into consideration.

Thanks Gudgrief re: ADO. I was so used to US credit card rejections eight years ago I stopped attempting to purchase on line. When I first arrived in 2007 there were no problems. After a couple years or so ADO stopped accepting foreign cards.

First Last wrote:

Thanks, Gudgrief re: ADO. I was so used to US credit card rejections eight years ago I stopped attempting to purchase online. When I first arrived in 2007 there were no problems. After a couple years or so ADO stopped accepting foreign cards.

Just to be clear.  They still reject non-Mexican credit cards online.  They accept them no problem in their bus stations and "branches" (if they have gotten around to installing a credit card terminal.)

Their smartphone app allows you to reserve seats which you must pay for at the bus station or a "branch" no later than 2 hours before departure.

"Branches" are private businesses that sell ADO tickets.  The word comes from the Spanish word sucursal.  At any rate, the one in Coatepec only sells tickets.  They get to charge a small fee per ticket payable in cash of 8 pesos.  Theoretically, the one in Coatepec will get a credit card terminal sometime.

Ah yes Gudgrief,

I remember this, the only time I took a bus from Merida to Campeche. I forgot the two hour requirement. A good reminder.

Hi to all, since I am residing fulltime in Mexico, my address related to my canadian bank accounts/credit-debit cards is my address in Mexico.

Didn't had any problem with using them online (Wal-Mart Mexico, Amazon.mx, Expedia.mx). Didn't work with Primera plus buses but worked at the bus station.

My major problem was when trying buying online from canadian book stores to send gifts to my grandkids but one (Indigo Chapters accepts the VISA VERIFIED/CHECKOUT).

Both credit and debit cards worked at all stores/restaurants we went to.

mexicogc wrote:

Hi to all, since I am residing fulltime in Mexico, my address related to my canadian bank accounts/credit-debit cards is my address in Mexico.

Didn't had any problem with using them online (Wal-Mart Mexico, Amazon.mx, Expedia.mx). Didn't work with Primera plus buses but worked at the bus station.

My major problem was when trying buying online from canadian book stores to send gifts to my grandkids but one (Indigo Chapters accepts the VISA VERIFIED/CHECKOUT).

Both credit and debit cards worked at all stores/restaurants we went to.

The explanation I get is that there is too much fraud with foreign cards.  At times, I have had my Mexican address on all my cards.  No difference.  Still couldn't use them online at many sites.  Have you talked to you Canadian banks?  I'd just be curious to know because I don't have any problem buying from any US sites with my US cards.

Wal-Mart Mexico, Amazon.mx, Expedia.mx all accept my US cards online, as does the department store Liverpool.  The only store in town that gives cash back on debit cards is Chedraui and my debit card didn't work for cashback but did work to pay for the purchase.

Hi "gudgrief", spoken to my bank before and after leaving, they don't put restrictions on your cards, my debit and credit are Visa related so it's valid all around the world and fraud covered.

Also spoke to Mexican banks, online shops (Canadian and Mexican) so banks decide what they allow at their ATMs for foreign cards (ie: Banamex 6000$, HSBC 14000$) and the fee they will charge for shops they also have to do the proper programming which was the case for the problem I had (purchase for Canada but address in Mexico).

This situation did exist with Telcel internet site when recharging with a foreign card. I will check again in March.

I haven't had any problem buying TELCEL saldo with my US Bank of America credit card.  Why a Canadian card would be different, who knows?  Maybe they had trouble with Canadian cards.  That's the excuse the bus lines use to prohibit American credit cards, too much fraud.

i use my card in almost every business i deal  WITH .EXCEPT WAL-MART they only want caSH i have got money back but only in pesos. now my land lord wants the rent in usd cash but he will accept the utility payment in pesos only. no card.

grapenut wrote:

i use my card in almost every business i deal  WITH .EXCEPT WAL-MART they only want caSH i have got money back but only in pesos. now my land lord wants the rent in usd cash but he will accept the utility payment in pesos only. no card.

Where do you live?
I never paid WAL-MART with anything but a credit card, same for Aurrera.

He lives in Juarez, Gudrief.
As you know things are different there.

Always used my Wells Fargo debit card at the Walmart in Rosartio never an issue.

jamesr3939 wrote:

Always used my Wells Fargo debit card at the Walmart in Rosartio never an issue.

With cashback?  There are so many gringos in the area and going back and forth, it wouldn't surprise me policies are different than the interior.

As I posted above, "yes" with cash back.  I am not surprised things are different in Rosarito than Juarez.

I bought a tank of petro in Monterrey with my ATM card.  Next time I used it (tried to use it) I discovered my PIN had been changed.