Close

using US ATM cards in supermarkets, cash back?

hi, can i use my US ATM cards in supermarkets and cash back with no fee like i do in the states?
thanks.

Not my card anyway.  I am charged a transaction fee every time I use my ATM, though the charge is minimal considering the exchange rate between Mexico and the US.  There are credit cards, such as Capital One, that do not charge transactions fees, but I don't know about other ATM cards.  If you get cash from any ATM here you will be double charged.  First by the local bank handling the transaction, and then from your own bank as a transaction fee.  This has been my experience.  If others know better, I'd love to hear it as well.

It's worth a try, if the exchange rate is better than the ATM with the fees.

I am not an expert but with my bank TD CANADA TRUST, I have an account with no fees using my ATM card to purchase something now it's up to the store if they allow cash back. I think Walmart allows it but very small amount.

Personnaly, we use our ATM cards and withdraw money at mexican ATM'S, the best was at the Banorte ATM in Nuevo Vallarta which allowed the equivalent of 1000$ canadian per withdrawal and up to your daily purchase limit, their fee is 46$ pesos per withdrawal.

You can see what criteria is used looking at the transaction on your internet account a  "V" at the end of the transaction reference number means purchase via internet this was confirmed by TD customer support.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mexico