Close

using US ATM cards in supermarkets, cash back?

hi, can i use my US ATM cards in supermarkets and cash back with no fee like i do in the states?
thanks.

Not my card anyway.  I am charged a transaction fee every time I use my ATM, though the charge is minimal considering the exchange rate between Mexico and the US.  There are credit cards, such as Capital One, that do not charge transactions fees, but I don't know about other ATM cards.  If you get cash from any ATM here you will be double charged.  First by the local bank handling the transaction, and then from your own bank as a transaction fee.  This has been my experience.  If others know better, I'd love to hear it as well.

It's worth a try, if the exchange rate is better than the ATM with the fees.

I am not an expert but with my bank TD CANADA TRUST, I have an account with no fees using my ATM card to purchase something now it's up to the store if they allow cash back. I think Walmart allows it but very small amount.

Personnaly, we use our ATM cards and withdraw money at mexican ATM'S, the best was at the Banorte ATM in Nuevo Vallarta which allowed the equivalent of 1000$ canadian per withdrawal and up to your daily purchase limit, their fee is 46$ pesos per withdrawal.

You can see what criteria is used looking at the transaction on your internet account a  "V" at the end of the transaction reference number means purchase via internet this was confirmed by TD customer support.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

In my experience, supermarkets will not give cash back on US debit cards. But if you've got a debit card with a Mexican bank, there's no problem.

blueflame :

In my experience, supermarkets will not give cash back on US debit cards. But if you've got a debit card with a Mexican bank, there's no problem.

i'm guessing opening a mexican bank account is not easy if you are just visiting and no fixed address

I think that's true. You've probably got to be a permanent resident.

It just hit me that getting money back using a USA debit card could be viewed as money laundering. Big nono in Mexican banking.

joaquinx :

It just hit me that getting money back using a USA debit card could be viewed as money laundering. Big nono in Mexican banking.

How so?

blueflame :

I think that's true. You've probably got to be a permanent resident.

Not permanent resident, but you need a Mexican address.

joaquinx :

Money laundering is a big nono almost anywhere, though I don't believe you have a valid understanding of what money laundering actually is, based on your statement.  This however, is getting off the topic.

I have a fairly good understanding of money laundering and I don't think this activity would be a crime.

You are thinking of the purchasing foreign money with illegal funds through foreign currency exchanges  part of Money laundering  issue. It would be quite a reach. But who knows currently. Yet I think given that we are not talking about vast amounts of foreign dirty money it wouldn't be an issue.

I said "could be viewed" and not "is". Go ahead and reread my post.

joaquinx :

I said "could be viewed" and not "is". Go ahead and reread my post.

I'm not  sure if you are talking to me joaquinx, but I was just seeing your point only saying it wasn't likely. I noted the "could". ;)

I tried using my BBVA Compass ATM card at the Chedraui in Coatepec, Veracruz for cash back but it didn't go through though the purchase did.  The other day I was asked if I wanted cash back on a credit card.  I didn't need cash and didn't want to take the chance it being a cash advance.

The card I use for purchases I'll pay off at the end of the month does not have a foreign transaction fee and the rate of exchange is within 1 or 2 centavos  of my BBVA Compass ATM card and Chase Visa card.  I use the Chase card for purchases in dollars on which I'm going to carry a balance because it still has a very low APR.

connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused)