Student visa for US citizens

Good morning,

I plan on starting a Portuguese program for foreigners here at the Federal University of Bahia. They have provided me with an acceptance letter, however I need to switch from a tourist visa to a student visa to be able to start the program in February. What is the best way of doing this? Can I accomplish this without going all the way back to the US and spending all that time & money on travel,etc.?

Thank you for your time & assistant.
Noel

You should go inform at the nearest Policia Federal´s office if they can grant you one
without going back to the US...

robal

In you're case you may go to  nearest Policia Federal´s office and explain you're situation,they may gide you better..

noelstr8,

I don't believe that the Federal Police will be able to change your visa. You can ask them. I think you will need to apply in the United States. 

Jim

Beginning on November 21, 2017, you do not need to leave Brazil to change visas.

Even US citizens? Even with the reparations protocol ?

Yes, the new immigration law will come into effect on the 21st and within it will be provisions to change visas within Brazil.

Here's is the rough draft version: http://www.participa.br/migracao/consul … e-migracao

Brazildweller:

I did look at the link you gave and did not see ANY indication of the 21st of November 2017 change in the law about visas. Am I going blind?

What article number and what paragraph are you referring to?

robal

I guess the site can be confusing because it is all in Portuguese and lags.

Brazil's government passed a law to reform the immigration system in May. Once finalized, these will be the new visa regulations. The old law, the Estatuto do Estrangeiro, will no longer exist once this law comes into effect on the 21st of this month. These links should explain everything:

http://www.politize.com.br/nova-lei-de-migracao/http://www.participa.br/migracao/notici … e-migracaohttp://www.participa.br/migracao/o-que-e - "Consulta Pública para manifestação da sociedade brasileira sobre a regulamentação da Lei n.º 13.445/17, (Lei de Migração), que entrará em vigor no dia 21 de novembro."

http://www.participa.br/migracao/objetivo

This is the law, itself, as it was passed on May 24th, 2017:

http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_a … L13445.htm

The law states in Article 125: "Esta Lei entra em vigor após decorridos 180 (cento e oitenta) dias de sua publicação oficial."

Links are still under review...

robal

Thanks so much for your help!

I talked to the federal Police yesterday in Salvador and they told me that if I went to the other federal police office at the airport they could change my visa & I wouldn't have to return to the US.

That´s very good news for others at the forum noelstr8. Please inform us later of the results!

robal

For sure!

I'm here now, at the federal police headquarters at the Salvador airport, and they just told me no. They cannot change my visa from a tourist visa to a student visa in brazil. They told me I have to leave the country. 😔😔 I'm really discouraged by this news.

I'm here now, at the federal police headquarters at the Salvador airport, and they just told me no. They cannot change my visa from a tourist visa to a student visa in brazil. They told me I have to leave the country. 😔😔 I'm really discouraged by this news.

Hello

Sorry to hear about your visa problem, but yes, thats generally the way visas work. This restriction about visas applies in the UK too (where Im from). You cannot enter the UK under one type of visa then convert to another type of visa. I imagine that the US may have the same restrictions.

Sorry to hear about the outcome...

Does anyone have experience traveling to a neighboring country to visit a US consolute and process the visa there as opposed to making the longer more expensive flight home?

You mean Brazilian consulate at Paraguay, Uruguay or Argentina?

I don´t know if that´s possible at this time. There was a time when I was starting to discover about South America and I was at Foz do Iguaçu in Parana. I walked into
a Paraguayan Consulate to get some application for immigration purposes and I was told right away to go back to our home country and process ANYTHING there!

Probably protocol has changed. But usually there is what they call a "reciprocity" 
parlance in immigration. If the US does not commute a tourist visa to a student visa
of foreigners in our country, usually the RECIPROCATING country shoves the same. Some sort of like "I´ll scratch your back if you scratch mine" thing...

robal

Please check the link below, somebody mentioned that we can apply in the nearest Consulate instead of flight back to home country,

shannontrindade.com/getting-a-student-visa-to-study-portuguese-in-brazil-my-experience/

“If you're legal in another country, you can apply for your visitor visa there. Just check the procedures established by each consulate.”

This some info I just received from the Brazilian consolute in LA.

You guys can try as long as you know the waiting time and have the funds to support
you.

robal

I just emailed all the nearby Brazilian consolutes in South America to verify the information. I'll let you know if I hear back. It's so expensive for me to fly back to the US right now. I'm really hoping this will work.

El valor de la tasa consular para emisión de visa de estudiante para ciudano estadounidense es de $ 3.220,00, que deberán ser pago con antes de venir al Consulado, en el Banco Itau, que está en Avenida Santa Fé nº 821 (vide boleto en anexo).

what's means of that reply?

is that possbiel for you or us to travel to nearby countries like Chile or Colombia to apply for a visa?   for example, if I have a tourist visa ot Chile and apply for the student visa here.

I used google translate. It is an email from the Brazilian consulate in Buenos Aires.

Dear Sir / Madam,

You can apply for a student visa at this Consulate-General, provided you submit the following documentation:
PASSPORT valid, with two pages free;
A 3X4 PHOTO (updated), front, white background. Do not wear white clothing;
Complete the Visa Request form available on the website: https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/index.jsp. Print the form
CERTIFICATE OF BACKGROUND (issued in the last 90 days) issued in the country / s where you have legally resided in the last 12 months.
For Argentine citizens or foreigners residing in the Argentine Republic: the certificate of antecedents (of the Argentine Federal Police or National Registry of Recidivism) must be legalized by the Apostille of Haya.
For citizens of other nationalities not resident in the Argentine Republic: Criminal record certificate (issued in the last 90 days) issued in the country of origin or in the previous country of residence. The document must be legalized by the Brazilian Consular Authority in the country of issue or by the Apostille of Haya (except documents issued by French authorities).

The certificate of antecedents that must be presented by US citizens or foreigners residing in the United States of America is the "FBI Clearence", legalized by the Hague Handbook.
· COMMITMENT OF MAINTENANCE - or proof of financial capacity. The person who signs the commitment must declare himself responsible for the expenses of housing, transportation food and other necessary expenses during the stay of the interested party in Brazil, including expenses of return to the country of origin or residence. In the case of a scholarship, the declaration of the granting of the scholarship, issued by the Brazilian institution, with a signature recognized in "Cartório" (except federal universities and agencies dependent on the Federal Government).
The commitment of maintenance issued in the Argentine Republic must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship of Argentina.
The commitment of maintenance issued in other countries must be legalized by the Brazilian Consular Authority in the country of issue or by the Hague Handbook (except documents issued by French authorities)
· TRANSPORTATION MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION IN AND OUT OF BRAZIL.

PROOF OF ENROLLMENT IN INSTITUTION OF TEACHING IN BRAZIL, with signature recognized in "Cartório" (except the federal universities and dependent organisms of the Federal Government).

The Portuguese course will have a weekly minimum weekly load of 15 (fifteen) hours, except in the case of courses offered by recognized public institutions of higher education. Ministry of Education

· FOREIGN DOCUMENTS MUST BE LEGALIZED BY BRAZILIAN CONSULAR AUTHORITY IN THE COUNTRY OF ISSUANCE OR BY THE HAGUE APOSTILE (EXCEPT DOCUMENTS ISSUED BY FRENCH AUTHORITIES)

· DOCUMENTS NOT EDITED IN PORTUGUESE, SPANISH, ENGLISH OR FRENCH MUST BE TRANSLATED IN BRAZIL BY "PUBLISHED PUBLISHER JURY" WITH SIGNATURE RECOGNIZED IN "CARTÓRIO".

It is no longer necessary to mark turn with antecipação. Visas will be taken care of in order of arrival, with a limitation on the capacity of the Consulate, from Monday to Friday, from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm.

Visas are processed within 72 hours, counted from the date of payment of consular fees.

The Consulate General does not process visas in the nature of urgency.

VISA ORDER IS PERSONAL. In the case of proceedings by third parties, the consular authority may request the presence of the interested party if it considers it necessary.

The value of the consular fee for the issuance of a student visa for a US citizen is $ 3,220.00, which must be paid before coming to the Consulate, at Banco Itau, located at Avenida Santa Fe No. 821 (vide ticket in Spanish). annexed).

Cordially,

Consulate-Geral do Brasil
Setor Seen from Temporários
Carlos Pellegrini 1363 - 5th step - CEP C1011AAA
CABA - Buenos Aires - Argentina

noelstr8:  What country´s currency is that? Argentinian?

flintlong: noelstr´s received e-mail explicitly stipulated that as an American, she can indeed apply for a student visa.

I don´t know about Chinese...

robal

I just saw it´s Argentinian... 72 hours processing is convenient. You still have to have someone bring your background check to the nearest Brazilian Consulate in your home
state to have it legalized...

robal

Can you foward the orginal email to me by [email protected]?  I can ask my colleagues help me to understand the key points which may lost by google translate.

I used the google translate for an student application before, but later found out several key requirment is missing or misunderstanding after my colleague reviewed in Purtoguess.

And even one items missed, it's a disaster for us which we have to flight back to home country to do everything again.

I believe  it should work for all the countries, not only for some specific countries.

I do hope it will also work for you flintlong...

robal

So far, it looks like Buenos Aires promises the shortest procesding time for the student visa compared to the other countries I'm heating back from now(Paraguay, Mexico, Uruguay)

The Brazilian consulate in Buenos Aires wants me to provide a notarized financial affidavit stating that I can cover the costs of my studies, etc. why in Brazil. I have no experience writing financial affidavits. Also, since I need to get it notarized in Brazil, I assumed I should include a Portuguese translation. I need help with two things; my grammar in the Portuguese version & the overall content of the letter.  Thank for any help you can offer me. 😊

Financial Affidavit for Student Visa application
December, 29 2017

I, My full name, have the financial means to pay for my 6 months stay in Brazil on a student Visa. This includes tuition at the Federal University of Bahia, housing, food, transportation, health insurance, and return flight to my country of origin/residence. In my student visa application, I will also present copies of bank statements to prove my financial capacity.

Declaração Jurada Financeira para o pedido de visto de estudante
29 de dezembro de 2017

Eu, (meu  nomi completo), tenho os meios financeiros para pagar a minha estadia de 6 meses no Brasil com o visto de estudante. Isso inclui a taxa de matrícula na Universidade Federal da Bahia, habitação, alimentação, transporte, seguro de saúde e retorno do país de origem / residência. No meu pedido de visto de estudante, também apresentarei cópias de extratos bancários para comprovar a minha capacidade financeira.

noelstr8,

This an easy problem, so don´t sweat it:

1. Download your monthly bank statement from the USA.
2. e-mail the Brazilian consulate in Argentina if you still have to translate the bank
    statement. If so, a sworn translator (tradutor juramentado) can translate it for you.
    If you have a credit card, you can also ask them if that could stand in lieu or in addition
    for the affidavit of financial means.
3. To notarize the affidavit, go to a cartorio. It´s not expensive, but the translation would cost more but also affordable...

The letter or the form´s grammar in Portuguese is fine. Just insert your name...

robal

I just remembered that your sister doesn´t have to legalize documents at a local Brazilian Consulate in the US due to recent apostille developments filed by Brazil...

robal

I talked to the Federal Police again about a week ago and they said that I was right a month ago...I don't have to leave Brazil to process the student visa bc the law did in fact change in November. They just asked me to come back when my extended visa was about up bc they were still not that sure of how the new process actually worked.

I´m glad the ending is good! Enjoy your stay and good luck with your studies!

robal

My friend, which Federal office you talked to ?   this is great news for us!!!

Flintlong,

Noelstr8 was referring to the Policia Federal´s office at the airport in Salvador, the capital of the state of Bahia, Brazil...

robal