Friends in Frankfurt

Hello,
I'm planning to spend few days to a week in Germany, mainly Frankfurt. I wanted to meet or talk to locals and students of good locations for accommodations and sights to visit while in Frankfurt.  Do you have any suggestions?  I'm from California, US. I work fulltime and am a student as well.
Some questions I have are:
Is it wise to rent a car and drive solo throughout?
Where can I meet students?
What are some good coffee shops where I can spend time doing my homework while enjoying my vacation.  etc...
Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Hi,
I hope that you haven't visited Frankfurt already, since it's already been a month since you've posted :)
I'm pretty new to Frankfurt too. Just moved here a bit more than a month ago. But I can recommend to visit the Palmengarten and take a trip up the Maintower, form there you have a nice view over the city.
I wouldn't advise you to rent a car, parking spaces are rare and therefore it is easier if you just by a ticker for the bus/train system. You can get them for a whole day/week/month and can reach just about everything.
We've got several Starbucks and other coffee shops spread throughout the city. Most of them are either on the Zeil or close to the Hauptwache.
I can't tell you were to meet other students. But if your not shy, you can always try any of the campuses and talk to any of the students running around, I'm pretty sure they'll show you around.
Hope that I was able to help.
Grüße Nadine

Hi,
Thank you for all the valuable information. I haven't visited Frankfurt yet, as a matter of fact I am planning to delay my initial plan of visiting in May. I realized that since I don't speak German and am not very acquainted with the place I should make friends before I plan my trip.  One of the other things I am considering is taking a road trip to some of the major cities.  Oh well, just in planning stages.  You're said you're pretty new to Frankfurt as well, if you don't mind asking, where did you move from?
Have fun!
-Shailesh

Hi,
glad to hear that I was able to help :)
Trying to make friends before you go is always a good idea. Are you planing an exchange semester? And how long are you staying?
Visiting other cities is a good idea. I'd recommend Munich and Berlin, even though they are very far apart. But both are worth visiting.
I'm nativ German and I studied in Gießen, which is a small city about an hour south of Frankfurt. I grew up not that far from Gießen in a small village. From where in California are you exactly?
Grüße Nadine

I live in Sacramento, it's about 150 km from San Francisco. I migrated from Fiji Islands about 16 years ago and pretty much lived in California ever since.
I would love to do be a part of the student exchange program and visit other places but just because I work fulltime, I am not able to. Also, I can only take two to three weeks of vacation time at a stretch.
I do drive a lot that is why I am so interested in driving all over the place when I take vacation. I am inspired to drive mainly because of the college I attend. My college is located in the state of Oregon, which is about a 9 hour driving time or an hour by airplane. Since I work mainly on research projects I don't have to be at the campus as frequently which I think is super awesome but the drive is definitely worth it. Here's on of my favorite spots on my way to and from college:
http://picasaweb.google.com/zedelta/Pho … 8396818146

That picture looks awesome :). But driving 9 hours to get to college must be exhausting, even if you don't have to be there very often. You can rent a car and then take trips all over Germany. Most of the trips would be shorter than your drive to college, since Germany is smaller than most of the states in America :).
What kind of research projects do you work on?

I will be moving to frankfurt next summer. Anyone is interested to be friend with me ?