Marriage/Divirce laws

Hello, I am a Canadian woman from Chatham, Ontario. It is a small town about 3 hours southwest of Toronto.  I lived in Ottawa for approximately 5 years. I came across this site after doing a search for reliable information. I browsed through your forum and there are many situations similar to mine bit not quite. While my husband was here on a student visa he married me ( a Protestant Christian.) In a religious ceremony which papers are also signed to make it legal as that is the law here. Some years later we separated apart and he moved back to Egypt. We had no further communication and it's been 12 years!  I decided to apply for a legal divorce and through another search found out he remarried in Egypt in 2011. What I don't understand is if this is legal there but is not here does that change how I can file for divorce. Forgive me for not understanding. It seems complicated!  Thank you! (Add on- we have no children together.)

Hi sorry to hear about your predicament...when you got married here was it just a religious marriage or you had a civil marriage too ?

Hi Krysia;  It was a religious ceremony which included the legal papers (that we got at City Hall)  for the minister to sign. We did not have a civil marriage.

Hi Sweetnurse ...do you know if the marriage was registered,do you have a marriage certificate?

Yes we do. I have it and need to show it to file for the divorce.

Ok well go ahead then ..find a lawyer to file for a divorce ...do up have any contact with your ex husband ?because you will need to serve him the divorce paper ...or have him served in his country by someone and then have that person swear an affidavit of service  that you need to include in the divorce application. I'm talking from experience I went through the process recently.

Ok well go ahead then ..find a lawyer to file for a divorce ...do up have any contact with your ex husband ?because you will need to serve him the divorce paper ...or have him served in his country by someone and then have that person swear an affidavit of service  that you need to include in the divorce application. I'm talking from experience I went through the process recently.

Hi, no that was the problem. I have not heard from him in several years. It really hadn't been a problem but I just thought I'd like to get it done. All I know is that he went back to somewhere in Alexandria , Egypt! However I just did a "Google" search and found him on facebook. It says he remarried so I am trying to find out the laws there. I know they are different there and as you said I need an answer from him. Now heres what I don't know - does this somehow affect my divorce proceedings? I may have to hire a lawyer which I didn't want to do when I can fill out and file the papers on my own.