Streaming TV

I've always been able to stream tv from my provider in CT (Comcast) usung their app to sling box . Just the other day it all stopped and I'm being told I cannot stream outside of mainland. This seems to be true with HUlu; direct tv now, and other services. What does anyone know about this?

I can only confirm this. I tried to get a streaming TV provider to use on my Roku TV and none would deal with potential customers in PR.
I used one of these grey (or maybe completely illegal) providers from Mexico for a while but that 's no solution either. They had to switch channels because they were removed almost daily.
I gave up....

I was under the understanding that in PR a lot of people were streaming from Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. this sounds like an issue with your Internet provider (Comcast) or contracts that Sling has.

I could be wrong, but if you are using a PR Internet provider, it is probably not an issue.

The technology is outpacing my ability to deal with it. You can stream on demand content. But you cannot stream live tv, which many stream companies now provide.
FCC thing that it's only allowed in mainland...

I have been looking to get Fox News on line when in PR.  Never had any luck with that?

PattiAnn wrote:

The technology is outpacing my ability to deal with it. You can stream on demand content. But you cannot stream live tv, which many stream companies now provide.
FCC thing that it's only allowed in mainland...

That's my experience, too. We stream (well, used to, before Matia, when we had internet at home)  Amazon, Hulu, Netflix. Live TV no way unless you use an illegal streaming provider (which I can't recommend).

We tried streaming comcast (on demand) through wifi and on my laptop but it said I cannot use it in PR.

My recommendation would be to sign up with a VPN provider like privateinternetaccess.com - By connecting through the VPN, it will appear that you are in whatever location you connected to, which may help you bypass the geo-restrictions currently in place. I use this method to connect to state-only services while travelling out of the country and it works great.

SpecialKev wrote:

My recommendation would be to sign up with a VPN provider like privateinternetaccess.com - By connecting through the VPN, it will appear that you are in whatever location you connected to, which may help you bypass the geo-restrictions currently in place. I use this method to connect to state-only services while travelling out of the country and it works great.

Do you mean that with this VPN service, I could log into my Charter tv service and watch any channel on my cable tv service while in PR and other countries via an internet connection?

In most cases, yes. For example, when I'm travelling in Mexico, I can log in to a Texas VPN server to watch US Netflix. For all intents and purposes, to the server on the other end, in this case, Charter's server, you are browsing from wherever your VPN is located.

Now, it is possible for companies to detect and block VPNs from accessing their services, but in my experience that happens very rarely.

The way it works is: You install the program on your computer or phone/tablet, and when you want to be from a US state, you simply select your desired location from within the program. Once you've done that, your computer will have a secure, encrypted tunnel between you and the VPN server. From then on, any internet requests your system makes will come FROM the VPN server's location and not from your computer's location. This is the same technology that users in China use to get around their country's firewalls.

Very informative!  Thanks!

How does this work if you are trying to stream from TV? I use VPN from computer so I know it works just dont know how to set up VPN on a TV.

The way it works there is that you would need a router capable of logging in to the remote VPN. So basically, you'd purchase the VPN service and get your credentials. You'd then configure your home router to send all of your internet traffic through that VPN connection. Then, when your TV connected to the router and requested Netflix, it would be going through your VPN connection just as it does when you set up the VPN connection on your computer.

SpecialKev wrote:

The way it works there is that you would need a router capable of logging in to the remote VPN. So basically, you'd purchase the VPN service and get your credentials.

ok, I got Private Internet access,  It seems to work fine.

You'd then configure your home router to send all of your internet traffic through that VPN connection.

My wifi router serves my house in CT,  don't know how to configure my apple router to send all traffic through the connection?  But perhaps you mean my house outside the US?

I am set up to stream charter/spectrum on my computer, it seems to work ok on my MacBook Air here at my house in CT.

Then, when your TV connected to the router and requested Netflix, it would be going through your VPN connection just as it does when you set up the VPN connection on your computer.

I'm really rather ignorant about the technology.   :/

Say you're in PR and want to access a stateside service through your TV. You would need to configure your PR router / gateway to send your internet traffic through your VPN. Your internet at your stateside home is irrelevant in this scenario.

Unfortunately, the Apple Airport doesn't allow you to set up a VPN connection in the router, so you'd need to go to a dual router setup, which gets into the needing to hire someone to help you territory.

Oh ok thanks.  I'm just using what was provided by liberty cable.

ok. the apple air port is in CT.  we have a different wifi router in PR, don't recall type.  It was provided by the Liberty company, which is the internet and tv provider there. 

The system in PR also connects the security video recorder to the internet so we can monitor it remotely.

I checked the web site about the number of devices I can use on my account, here is the ans.

"We understand that our clients are largely well wired and always connected individuals.  Due to this, we permit 5 simultaneous connections to our services from a single subscription.  This can be any mix of routers, computers, or mobile devices that you choose!  The service can be installed on as many devices as you like, but only five will be able to connect at any given time.

If you're wiring up a home location that requires a large number of devices, and you're using our services mobile as well, we would suggest looking into a router configuration for the home location, that will allow all devices behind the router to be represented as a single connection to our network, allowing you to use mobile devices elsewhere, without the possibility of a home connection using multiple logins at once!"

So, I guess, when I get back to PR will need to get the home router set up for private internet access.??

Yeah the Liberty modem/router combo is locked down. I also had one when we were in PR. Your only option then, if you want to watch region-locked content via a smart TV in PR, will be to set up a second router that runs in parallel with your Liberty router. That second router will be configured to route traffic through the VPN service and you will configure your smart TV to route through the second router.

When you're back in PR, let me know and maybe it'll be the right timing for us to come land shopping again and I'll just set it up for you.

Great!  Our plans are somewhat fluid, we may be back for a few days in early Dec. - then back in late January.  I'll PM you.

our internet is "iffy", comes and goes. In normal times, with Liberty I'm streaming Fox News with a friend's Comcast account. In his area, they've been purchased by another company, but the comcast app still works... so far.

I'm actually waiting for a call back from a Comcast Supervisor right now.  I mainly live in Oregon and have been a long time subscriber and now I cannot watch my favorite recorded TV Shows by logging into my Comcast Account or even using my CBS All Access Account.  Something smells fishy... I have Claro for internet and I'm wondering it it's them because I also have a T-Mobile Hotspot that I purchased here in Puerto Rico and when I use it, I can watch both Comcast TV and CBS All Access.  Trying to find the actual cause of the issue... would love other opinions.

I have one of those new TCL Roku televisions from Costco and I use Liberty Cable.  It is amazing!  Great service from Liberty.  I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I believe someone posted that Comcast and others block streaming outside of the contental US.  But you get around the block using a VPN to route the signal? 

Someone with more technical knowledge can educate us on this.  😎

Yes, what Sitka said above is correct. It isn't Claro blocking your connection, it's Comcast. The only way to get around this is to make yourself APPEAR to be logging in from a continental US IP address. You can use a VPN service to do this (privateinternetaccess.com for example) or if you still have an internet connection at your home in the US, you can set up a VPN there. The first option requires little technical know-how, the second option requires quite a bit or hiring someone with quite a bit to help you.

I'm moving to Fajardo the end of June. Bought a house... Going straight  to Costco and buying 2 tvs...hoping to have the service, cable and Internet installed by then. Can sleep on mattress on floor for a while...but have to have telly.
Is there a service that can hook a VPN up for me and get me running?
COMPLETELY at a loss here....*confused just reading this*

You only need a VPN if you're trying to access services that are otherwise unavailable from Puerto Rico.

It's not so straight-forward, I'm afraid. In order to make the VPN work for the TV you would need to install it in your main router. Not every router is suitable and installing it might be a challenge.
https://www.howtogeek.com/221889/connec … -and-more/

I agree.....I wouldn't have a clue how to get a VPN...sounds like an STD to me....lol...don't want that!....much less how to hook all that up. Haircuts colour....anything like that...I'm good....computers .internet.routers....forget it.

Most reasonably good routers support using a VPN these days.   We have two routers setup in our home, one that is 100% US based through a VPN from http://privateinternetaccess.com/ and then another one that stays local.   

You just swap to the US wifi or the PR wifi depending on what you want to see.

I use a ASUS RT-AC88U for our US based on and Google WiFi for the PR based one.  Google WiFi doesn't support setting up an automatic VPN.

With a VPN, will that only show via your computer or will your router show said VPN as well?

It depends on how you set it up. If you only configure your computer to go through the VPN, then it only impacts your computer. If you set up your router to go through the VPN, then it will impact all of the devices using that router.

If you have an Amazon Firestick, you can install the APP (ExtremeVPN) directly from the firestick. It will provide a US IP that will work on your TV for Amazon, Hulu, etc.

Install the App and connect. Make sure App  is connected prior to going to something that has been previously geo blocked.

I use HughesNet (Satellite Dish for Internet), Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime work fine for me with no VPN.

Wow!  It looks like Hughesnet services all of PR!