Living in Rotterdam but working in Vlissingen

Hi to all. I'm a Turkish mechanical engineer and got an offer from an engineering company in Vlissingen. I'm planning to move to The Netherlands but I'm very interested in Rotterdam area rather than Vlissingen. Because I would very like to live in a big city instead of a small one. Finding a good house for a family with a 2 year old kid is harder than finding one in Rotterdam and it will be some sort of cheaper. Also I guess Rotterdam will offer more enjoyment for my wife and my kid. Considering that the company offers me a car without any milage or fuel limitations would it be possible to live around Rotterdam and work in Vlissingen. According to google maps its about 120 kms from Rotterdam central to the company so if I reside in south area of Rotterdam the road will be about maximum 200-240kms per day. I know it sounds kinda crazy but what are your opinions. I dont know much about Netherlands, is it hard to be on road everyday, is it hard to drive on heavy weathers, what is the road conditions, are there too much traffic during rush hours, does the road gets effected by weather conditions too much etc.

Thanks for the answers.

Hi Scaglar and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming normal rush-hour traffic, that's at least a 2-hour drive each way.  The roads, in general, are very good; that said, Dutch traffic during the rush hour is horrific in most places; it's not something I would even consider.  Public transport would be about the same travelling time.

You should be aware that while the car and fuel limitations may be unlimited for the Company, there are tax issues for you to consider around how much a company may pay an employee in subsidising anything in the workplace that is not required in order to do your job; these are known as The Work Expenses Scheme (werkkostenregeling or WKR).  So, you're an engineer, your tools would not fall into this category, but a company car and subsidised travel will.  This is simply set at 1.2% of your gross salary.  So the overall cost of the car and it's running costs, once you hit the 1.2% limit (assuming a salary of 40,000, that's 480 euro), it will count as salary and you will pay taxes on everything above it.

Just to add, I just checked, if you supply your own car for business travel (home to work is not business travel), you can receive up to 0.19 e/cent p/km tax-free.

Hope this helps.

Check with your future HR department first.
Maybe they require to settle down in the area of Vlissingen.
Trust me, you don't want a daily commute from more than 120 km one way only because Rotterdam seems to offer more.
There are nice small cities in the area of Vlissingen which offers the same as Rotterdam.