Close

Utterly disgusted by the Italian embassy

There were 90 student applicants from Bangladesh in 2017, 65 of those were Erasmus Mundus holders and others were regional scholarship holders. All rejected based on "your intention to leave cannot be ascertained" reason.

Granted, an offer and scholarship does not make us entitled to a visa, but  they should do us a favour and put a sign that "Bangladeshis are not welcomed anymore". We will stop wasting our time and money with them. They've been holding my passport for 2 months, making me miss my enrolment and classes is plain criminal! They should do me the decency of rejecting me and returning my passport so I can apply elsewhere where I'll be more welcomed!

topumasum :

Granted, an offer and scholarship does not make us entitled to a visa, but....

There it is, and it's up to the discretion of the consular officer at the embassy.  I understand your frustration, but how is moaning here supposed to help anyone?

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that. i would like to share my experience, hope it helps somehow. i was in the same situation like you where i got an offer from university here in Milan but my visa got rejected. it was frustrating especially because i've already decline an offer of scholarship from another university in Netherlands, so i demand an explanation. i contacted my university and explaining my situation and asking for their help. then someone from the admission department at the university contacted the embassy. i was asked to resubmitted my visa application and was called for special interview.

the interview was with 3 people (in italian, 1 was a translator) and i found out their reason for rejecting me was for a financial reason (although i already enclosed my bank account with sufficient amount as requested). i am a mature student and have worked for years before decided to continue my study. and unfortunately i have to go as far as telling them how much money i earned per month (which actually, was even more than i make here in Italy once i finished my study and get a job) and my other assets just to ensure them that i will not going to roam the street begging for money once i arrive in Italy.

i didn't really understand their concern about the financial situation, because once i got here, the indonesian i met are either engineers working for ENI (Italian Oil Company and they get all the expatriate facilities and income), highly educated women married to Italian with good job, or the students of fancy and expensive design universities, but yes embassy has their own reason to reject our application and since we are from poor countries in Asia maybe they have this financial concern in general.

so yeah if you still interested to continue your study in italy maybe you could try to contact the university and asked for their help. but i must say unfortunately this inconvenience is only the beginning, once you are here you will experience many rejection (without knowing the reason) and frustration ( which are time consuming and money wasting) and the language barrier will be a huge problem. so if you are not up to it maybe better to skip Italy and try your luck elsewhere :), you will save a lot of time and frustration (but i get used to it somehow, maybe u will too :)

good luck
Andi

I am shocked at your treatment and rather ashamed at the Italian Embassy staff or Ambassador himself. His staffs actions lay at his door. This really smacks of discrimination. Something I for one are very much against! There is no room for this in this beautiful country, full of history. A history that includes the Moors. Or do we forget them as well? Italy is built upon a time of inclusion of all races. Our Pope is non Italian?? Hello!

Expatriate health insurance in Italy

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Italy

Moving to Italy

Find tips from professionals about moving to Italy

Travel insurance in Italy

Enjoy stress-free travel to Italy