Close

Opening a Bank account which have logical procedure

Hi guys ,

I really appreciate if you could guide me on this as well .

I read in the internet in many places about banking procedure, some of them don't make any sense , just like to make sure if those information  are correct or false

1, is possible to transfer money out of Vietnam to your family overseas (outward remittance)

2 is it possible to wire (inwards remittance) and how much is the charges

3,is there any thing like, let say your Visa expires , you are outside vn  ,since the Visa  got expired ,does  the bank cease or cancel account ,how does this work , is there anything like this

4,also can the inward remittance ,may be later on let say you have an emergency you want to send money to your family back home ,can you transfer it online

5 does the banks in Vietnam have an iban number

6 . Is it true you can't deposit money by cash to your bank ,let's say some one wired u on Wu
You can't deposit that

What is the best bank for an expat ,from what I read most of the answer and comments gives the  impress that most of this banks are shady when it comes to their procedure

Thanks hoping to listen on the above topic

Hello

I think you should go to the bank and ask those question than first, so they can help you to clear most of the problem.  I could say there is no best bank for an expat.  You can make any bank as a best for yourself.

I can answer a couple of your questions. It is possible to send money to VN, direct from bank to bank or via Western Union. It is possible to have an account in US dollars or Australian dollars (and quite likely other currencies as well), and you can transfer or deposit USD or AUD into them and withdraw in dollars or dong.

I use Vietcombank, as it has branches everywhere. Other friends use Vietinbank. As Colwing writes, you should ask the banks.

I bank with Timo, set it all up online, collect your card in one on their 'hangouts' on the same day, job done.

I use GlobalWebPay to move money into my Timo account, however, that won't work without a UK address & debit card.

Not found an efficient way of moving money out of Vietnam yet, PayPal may be the route I go down, I don't know.

Marlan123 :

Hi guys ,

I really appreciate if you could guide me on this as well .

I read in the internet in many places about banking procedure, some of them don't make any sense , just like to make sure if those information  are correct or false

1, is possible to transfer money out of Vietnam to your family overseas (outward remittance)

2 is it possible to wire (inwards remittance) and how much is the charges

3,is there any thing like, let say your Visa expires , you are outside vn  ,since the Visa  got expired ,does  the bank cease or cancel account ,how does this work , is there anything like this

4,also can the inward remittance ,may be later on let say you have an emergency you want to send money to your family back home ,can you transfer it online

5 does the banks in Vietnam have an iban number

6 . Is it true you can't deposit money by cash to your bank ,let's say some one wired u on Wu
You can't deposit that

What is the best bank for an expat ,from what I read most of the answer and comments gives the  impress that most of this banks are shady when it comes to their procedure

Thanks hoping to listen on the above topic

Hi Marlan

I have only been living in Vietnam for a few months.
Maybe other members can say more (or correct me  :D :-))

I decided for Sacombank because my bride has same :-) and they support e-banking and cash cards.

Why I open Vietnamese bank account?
If you need larger amounts of money (wedding, real estate, etc.) , it is not very convenient to withdraw money from the ATM.
And credit card from my homeland demands high ATM fees and currency exchange fees.

The e-banking from Sacombank provide outward remittance. But I never use this function.
I read that for some banks you have to specify for what purpose the money is.
And I think there is also a daily, monthly or annual limit.

Remittance fee from my homeland bank to the Vietnames bank is about 25$ when you use OUR (you pay all transfer charges) independent of the amount. No fee from Sacombank.
If you transfer large amount, this 25$ is not much.
In my case, the money is transfered within 24 hours. But I think it depends on your homeland bank.

I've tried a few different ways to find out where the fees are highest. And I can say that the exchange rate fluctuations have a bigger impact than the fees.

At the moment I have only a 3 months visa (until I am married).
But nobody at the bank said anything about validity of visa.

See 2.

No.
(https://www.nordea.com/en/our-services/ … countries/)

I can deposit cash at Sacombank. But I've never used it before.

I think other banks are similar.
Only the amount of fee and available services will be different.

1312j :

I bank with Timo, set it all up online, collect your card in one on their 'hangouts' on the same day, job done.

I use GlobalWebPay to move money into my Timo account, however, that won't work without a UK address & debit card.

Not found an efficient way of moving money out of Vietnam yet, PayPal may be the route I go down, I don't know.

Moving money out of Vietnam is problematic. You can take up to $5000 US with you when travelling out of country, any more than that has to be declared to customs on departure. Its not a big problem usually but it might be.

Another way of getting money out of Vn is to use a debit card based on your Vn bank account and withdraw money at foreign ATM machines. Obviously you need to check with your Vn bank which ATM machines you can use overseas.

My preferred method is  to convert as much money as possible to alcohol and drink it. This is of course a two-stage process and if travelling by air, you need to plan for a seat on the aircraft which is near to the toilet.

@Marlan123,

You already have some good tips and leads from other forum members.

TBH, the problem comes when one tries to send money abroad from Vietnam.

It can be done hassle-free, ONLY if you (as an individual) have a bank acct in Vietnam which is connected to a valid Work Permit or any other legal document/s as legitimate proof of your lawful income in Vietnam.

Here's a relevant page from HSBC, Vietnam.
You can see in the "Documents required for application" section, there's a very vague expression "Supporting documents".
That's where things get frustratingly complicated.

Here's another thread for you .... Sending money out of vietnam

IMO, it'd be wise not to transfer all your savings to a VN acct at once.
Transfer just as much as you need at a time.

Regarding, whether your acct will still be active or not if your visa expires, to the best of my knowledge *, ...

- If there's no withdrawal  over a certain period of time, your acct will become 'Dormant' and eventually 'Closed/Suspended' due to inactivity.
- Within that certain period, if you get a new visa, you must submit a scanned copy of your new visa to update bank documents and to withdraw cash.

Note:
Different banks have different time limits before dormancy sets in because of non withdrawal.
For HSBC (Vietnam) savings acct it is 12 months.

As suggested by others, please discuss all these issues in detail at the time you open a bank acct in VN.

@Marlan123

If you have Vietnamese account, and if you received Money from overseas then you can easily transfer via internet banking to any countries you want, there will not require any documents.  Mostly Asian Bank does not have IBAN Number.

P/S You are from Sri Lanka and now living in Middles and why you don't go to your country to get new PP if you were coming to Vietnam? There will be much cheaper then you begin to Vietnam.

Other international payments - Vietcombank
Yours will probably fall into "Remittance of portfolio investment capital" category.

I have four different bank accounts in VN, including ANZ (soon to be moved across to a new entity) and Commonwealth (recently moved) because I'm Australian and need to shift money back and forth to/from there.

After the VN company I worked for closed down, I couldn't really use any of them for anything, except ATM withdrawals (which of course didn't last long until the money ran out). I can't deposit cash or even receive small amounts of pocket money for the very occasional freelance work I do unless I submit red invoices etc, which would involve far too much make-work paperwork hassle -- and probably cost more in time etc than the payment is worth. So I simply get them to transfer to a Vietnamese friend (no problems there) who then gives it to me in cash.

When I lived in Malaysia with my HSBC account there, there were no such issues, though setting it up involved lots of bureaucratic mistakes and took a couple of months. It's time Vietnam joined the rest of ASEAN to make banking easier for foreigners. I gather changes are in the works in this area, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Hi guys ,thnks a lot of all the reply

I am in Hanoi , arrived 3 days ago

1, declaration of money,is pretty simple I didn't have any issue ,as per the advice I just sticked to 10k ,and I was able to declare it without any issue ,they just opened the envelope but didn't touch the money or do anything and just stamped the paper and gave me ,and said smile and be happy lol

2 ,hsbc is one f**ked up bank in Vietnam,so much of bullshit nonsense ,went to saccom bank things are pretty much easy no formalities like.hsbc ,

Opened 2 account vnd and USD ,non issues ,and here is the trick to deposit cash in Vietnam !!! ,Give power of attorney to your wife for your vnd account ,and she transfer the money to my account which was sent earlier to her , through Agri bank ,with her name

Just 30 minutes no formalities !!!

Is there any thread for buying house ,it really nice if we could have one ,

Also there are lots of cheap house you can buy in ha dong !! Starting from 33k

Also would like to thank everyone for the valuable advice and info

Yep, things are a lot easier in most aspects with a Vietnamese partner, so long as you're willing to put things in their name. If not, and you are registered with a work permit for the one employer (the whole rigmarole starts again if you change jobs), and the employer pays into your account, that's fine too.
If your partner is a work-permit foreigner and you're not working, however, he/she can transfer money to your account (or overseas) but you can't do anything with it here beyond the local ATM. Crazy.
Can anyone correct me on this -- please?
Rob

Robvan , you are correct, I can't deposit cash ,only through Vietnamese spouse !! ,

One stupid law

I have two accounts in my  name with Vietcombank: one in Australian dollars and on in VN dong. I use interbank transfers to tranfer money to Australia to my AUD account, then transfer it into my VND account. If I transfer the full amount in one hit, the Vietcombank does not charge me for the transaction. My bank in Australia charges a flat rate for any transfer, so it is better to transfer bigger amounts rather than small amounts.  I do not earn income in VN, so make no other deposits.

Marlan123 :

Robvan , you are correct, I can't deposit cash ,only through Vietnamese spouse !! ,

One stupid law

I still Don't understand why expat cannot open an account and cannot deposit money into their accounts.

I have few accounts in Vietnam local bank as well as the Foreign bank.  When I opened an account in Vietcome and Sacomebank at that time, I can deposit VND to my mind, but later on, they said I am no longer to deposit.  But another bank Such a as ACB, Techcome, and Seabank I still can collect VND to account and there for no any documents required when I deposit money. I am not earning money in Vietnam, I only Exchange USD and deposit money to consider for my daily using.

Even HSBC I can deposit 100Million VND/day

P/S You cannot deposit in USD to in Vietnam, Some bank they do but mostly you are not allowed to do it.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam