Cap on how many Tourist VISA's one can get?

Hi all,

My name is Amanda and I'm moving to Arusha at the end of December. I plan on getting a tourist VISA to begin with and then once I find work, I hope to get a work permit. I recently heard that some countries have restrictions on how many tourist VISA's you can apply for. I know the Tanzania tourist VISA only lasts for 3 months and then must be renewed. Does anyone know if there is a restriction on how many you can get?

Hi Amanda,

I have been using tourist visas's since June 2016 and have had no problem. They are valid for 90 days, not 3 months, (some months have 31 days...). My wife is employed, I am not and being male cannot access a dependents visa...

I exit the country, sometimes for a couple of days, other times longer, and fill out the paperwork when I reenter. It costs 50$ and will take up one whole page of your passport. Thus you might think of getting a passport with additional papers. At present there is no upper limit, however the system is fluid and in a state of flux under the new regime so may change at short notice.

As for finding work when out here, you may have a problem. You cannot work on a tourist visa. There are ways and means of getting around this, but I do not want to go into this in 'public'. Be careful, the present regime makes much of reducing employment opportunities for non-Tanzanians. If, to the governments opinion, a local can do the job, then it will be almost impossible to get a work permit. Whilst a laudable approach, the application is somewhat hit-and-miss.

Kind regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian, I greatly appreciate your knowledge on the subject. If I work -  I will do it under a work permit. And I have heard in the past that getting work in TZ has become harder and harder for the foreigner. So I am aware of that already and prepared for this. My boyfriend is Tanzanian and I will be living with him. So we will figure things out together!

Take care!

Hi Amanda,

Happy hunting!

Christian