Close

Americans moving to Valencia.......maybe?

Hi there.  My wife and I are planning to move to Europe within the next 2-3 years (we hope).  We will be young retired people.   We have narrowed it down to Lisbon and Valencia.....and we would be doing the Golden Visa program.   Each city has different strengths and weaknesses, and I would love to hear from anyone that can "promote" Valencia over Lisbon, so I can get that perspective.   I really would love to know people's feelings on living in each city with dogs.   Lisbon seems less "dog friendly", but we found the people to be VERY friendly, overall.   

What seems to be true to us:

1.  More English speaking in Lisbon (we plan to learn the local language, but it will take time)
2.  Similar weather overall
3.  Similar cost of living
4.  Valencia more accessible to the rest of Europe via train b/c it is "closer"
5.  Lisbon with direct flights back to USA
6.  More green space in Valencia b/c of the central park (we have dogs that need green space)
7.  Perhaps more comprehensive public transportation in Valencia?
9.  Better beaches in Valencia
10. Lisbon perhaps with more "extras" offered b/c it is a capital city - concerts, sports, etc

I would REALLY appreciate anyone's feedback....especially if you have done the Golden Visa for Spain.  We are so excited to make this move, but it is a challenge picking between the 2 cities.  (We previously ruled out Barcelona b/c it was just too touristy for us)

Thank you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I just saw your post of already 3 weeks ago. Maybe you have already made up your mind about the city you would like to move to (Lisboa or Valencia).
I should say come to our beautiful city Valencia. It has a lot to offer. It is the 3rd city of Spain, with around 830.000 citizens direct in the City. You will love the beautiful historic centre with at every corner a nice restaurant, tapas bar, lot´s of choices to go out and having dinner.  the 9,5 river Park Turia, perfect place for your dogs. The park leads you from the centre to the amazing city of Science and Arts. From there you will be within 2 km at the beach and Port. the boulevard has also again lot´s of very nice restaurants to offer and of course Paella is a must.
Climate is pretty good. 300 sunny days guaranteed. Lot´s of culture activities, Operahouse, museums, Theatre and sports. Last Sunday we had our own Marathon and Valencia  is considered as the best host for that.
The region around Valencia is beautiful (mountains, beaches, orangefields)  It has very good access to Madrid with the AVE (high speed train), in 1,5 hours you can be there. And many flights to the rest of Europe.

Public transport is very well organized, metro / bus. If you like to use a bike Valencia is a perfect bike city. No hills:)).

Regarding your golden Visa: You can buy beautiful apartments in the beautiful 19th century area the Eixample. Comparing to Barcelona and Madrid properties in Valencia are still much cheaper.

Good luck with  the decision making! Good idea to visit both the cities to get a feel of it. And if you are here in Valencia feel free to drop me a line to have a meet&greet.

Best regards,

Christa Brokke

Moderated by Bhavna yesterday
Reason : Promotion of your services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Sorry I meant: It would be a good idea to visit both the cities.... ;)

Christa,

Thank you SO much for your reply.   You are the only person that replied to me, and I was surprised about that.

We really love both cities, and we have been to both cities already.   We are coming back to both Lisboa and Valencia in January/Febuary to see if we can make our decision.

The cities have some similarities, and some differences.   We love the biking culture in Valencia, which Lisbon does not have.   But, Lisbon has such great views from everywhere because of the hills.     Valencia is "closer" the rest of Europe for travel, but Lisboa is closer for us to go back to the USA with direct flights.     Apartments in Valencia are less expensive, but it seems the cost of daily goods and services are a bit less expensive in Lisboa.     Lastly, it seems that many more people speak English in Lisboa than Valencia.    We plan on learning the language for either city, but initially, that would be an advantage to Lisboa.   Valencia seems better for dogs because there is MUCH more green space near the city center. 

It really is a challenge!    I will save your information and perhaps when we are back in Valencia in a couple of months, my wife and I can get together with you to talk and see if you can convince us.   :-)

Kind regards,
Jeff

Expatriate health insurance in Valencia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Valencia

Moving to Valencia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Valencia

Travel insurance in Valencia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Valencia