Got appointment after visa type D expiration

Hi,

My visa is expiring on 17th November and my appointment date is 30th November. I am currently in student visa, type D. Is it okay to stay till the the appointment date or I have to leave the country?

PS: I am an Indian resident.

Regards,
Azlaan

It is NEVER o.k. to stay longer than your visa validity.
If you want to avoid flying home, contact the Auslaenderamt to ask if and how an extension is possible.

One should take it serious. Some people seem to think it is a minor thing. You will have to pass customs and they will note you have overstayed. You will not be arrested or fined for overstaying; you will be free to leave. But if you ever decide to return to German they will see this in the computer and it can be grounds for denying another visa. It will not help then to say it was just a few weeks and you did not know the consequences. Best to find an official solution if you ever plan to return to Europe.

TominStuttgart wrote:

One should take it serious. Some people seem to think it is a minor thing. You will have to pass customs and they will note you have overstayed. You will not be arrested or fined for overstaying; you will be free to leave. But if you ever decide to return to German they will see this in the computer and it can be grounds for denying another visa. It will not help then to say it was just a few weeks and you did not know the consequences. Best to find an official solution if you ever plan to return to Europe.

Some incorrect points in your post Tom,

First, customs is not interested in overstays/visa status....that is immigration/passport control.  Also, visa overstays are often if not always fined, along with an entry in the Schengen Information System, and you can be detained by the police and required to sign a document saying you have committed a criminal act.  I would be careful about assuring anyone they will just walk out of Germany with nothing but a computer entry.

Beppi's comment is spot on.

Romaniac is somewhat  correct in his post. Number one, sorry if I was sloppy with my language but yes I meant passport control. Where they check your baggage for possible taxes, fines or banned objects is another part more regularly done on the way into a country and yes more specifically called “going through customs”. But customs can refer to both as these are both run by the same agency in Germany (Zollamt) like in most countries. So my statement was correct but not specific enough to avoid possible misinterpretation.

And yes, there can be fines for over staying visas, usually done by the community where one was registered. Less often but also possible is at the airport. Much depends on the severity of the infraction. But the authorities cannot make you sign anything. What they can do is to waiver or lessen a fine for a signed admission of guilt.

But the consequence will still be something entered in the computer that can make it difficult for one to get another visa. But minor violations also don't mean a life-time ban either. I made it clear that there are always consequences and one should not over stay but automatic fines or long term bans for minor violations are NOT normal. Here is a link to an article that more clearly spells out how it works:
http://www.euro-dollar-currency.com/ove … n_visa.htm