Close

Buying or renting a car before buying land????

Does anyone have a pearl of wisdom they can share regarding whether I should buy or rent a car to go and look for land in Portugal? Every which way seems expensive and I read it's a pain to buy there. I heard the GNR target UK plates for roadside checks sometimes and I don't want that hassle. So is renting long term a possibility? I need a car to search for land/a place and won't have proof of address until then. I can use friend's addresses but I won't have proof. Please can someone help as I will arrive in a week. Muito obrigada!

IMO it depends how long you plan to spend looking for a property to purchase.  It took us 5 trips to find a place to buy and we rented a call each time. There are big price differences in car rentals so I recommend you spend time on the internet to compare and book your rental on the net, then pick-up your car at the airport. Remove the car rental sticker so that you don't send a signal that you are a foreigner driving a rental car.

Thanks for that, yes I did wonder about the sticker...I will remove it tomorrow. I arrived yesterday and thought I had paid for a bargain car rental for 6 weeks but on arriving at the office near the airport I had to pay a lot more...in total maybe 550+ for 6 weeks including a huge deposit...I was pretty unhappy about the deceiving price but what could I do... They will have a bad review from me when I am finished....
Thanks for the advice! I hope I can find somewhere within the 6 weeks but I will be returning after Christmas anyway...maybe my Portuguese friend will 'buy' me a car...he suggested this as an alternative. ; )

WOW, I am sorry to hear about your car rental experience, we never had such a problem.......

Expatriate health insurance in Portugal

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Portugal

Moving to Portugal

Find tips from professionals about moving to Portugal

Travel insurance in Portugal

Enjoy stress-free travel to Portugal