Malaysian in Perth looking for Job

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just moved from Auckland to Perth last month.
Just getting use to the city and all.

I am currently looking for a job any temp/contract jobs in administration/HR to get my foot in the door.
I have registered with alot of recruitment firms and checking job boards everyday but havent not been lucky in getting a job.

Can anyone advise or give some inputs?
Does anyone know any companies urgently looking for temp staff.
I am available immediately and not fussed about the work.
I have over 10 years exp in HR/administration and PA.
got a 5 year work permit as well..

Would be grateful to anyone who can help..:)
cheers..

any luck getting a job?

Hello There
I live in Perth and although I do not work in the same area as you, there is a lot of work going on in the gas, oil and other mining sectors. I realise that some of these jobs are quite well paid. Many people become fly in/fly out workers. Unfortunately they are up north in the mining towns.

You might like to look up some of these companies starting with Woodside and they may be able to point you in the right direction since these companies have offices in the city.

There are a lot of people also looking for jobs like the one that you are qualified for and competition for them is high.

One other suggestion is that you look at the classifieds in the local papers and maybe there are some local businesses that are seeking staff. Perhaps you might do the rounds of the hotels, hospitals and shops as well. The jobs might be quite menial but they would give you work and money and would put you in touch with people who might have some ideas about job openings in the sector in which you are seeking work. Good luck.
Hope you get work soon.:)

Cheers

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I am from Singapore (Australia PR), thinking of finding electrical engineering job in Perth. I only have a few years work experience, but unfortunately no Australia working experience. Do you think the chances of me landing a job in Perth is good or not?

My wife asks me to look for job from here, before moving over to Australia. Once I secure a job, she also advice me to move over alone first, settle down, say around 1 year later, before moving her and our baby to Perth.

Appreciate anyone out there who can advice me.
Thanks.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I think your wife's advice is what I would follow. I also have a PR and in the engineering field. While I was in Australia visiting to validate my visa last year, I spoke to several HR reps from different recruiting agencies that I had contacted interested in speaking to them when I arrived. I only stayed one week in both Sydney and Melbourne - two cities where I would be interested in finding a job.

I'm coming from the US and work for a global company. I was not told that I needed local Australian work experience. Maybe it was because one of our offices is located there in Australia? But they did tell me that companies prefer that I already move to the country before starting the interviews. However, my plan is to first find a job before actually moving there.

But if you yourself are able to move to Australia and have the financial backing to at least maybe stay a month or two to look for a job, you may increase your opportunity. However, if you read some of the postings on this forum, some people have been in the country for about a year with no success with getting job. Don't let this discourage you because we all have different work experiences and demand for some industries might be better in a different state.

Check out some of the jobs online at mycareer.com.au, careerone.com.au, seek.com.au, and expatengineer.net

Try applying from where you live. But on your contact heading, state that you plan to move by the end of 2011 or mid 2012. Or a specific date so companies will know your availability. Try to find a recruiting firm that shows jobs that fit your experience. Maybe get in touch with one of those HR reps and when you plan to move to Australia.  Tell them that you already have a PR visa.  As what was said to me by the HR reps, these companies prefer that you are already living in Australia so they can interview in person.

In addition, I'm not sure if you are knowledgeable that your PR visa is only valid for 5 years. You are able to stay in Australia permanently. But if you plan to leave Australia to go visit other countries, you will need a visa that is valid. Before your PR visa expires, you can renew it for another 5 yr visa. But you must have resided a total of 2 years out of the 5 years.  If you reside long enough in Australia and fit the criteria, you can apply for Australian citizenship. That way you can avoid having to renewing your PR visa before it expires again. This is the current guidelines and can change in the future. Visit immi.gov.au for more information about this.

Lastly, I don't think there is advice that can be applicable to everyone. Sometimes finding one could be just right timing or luck. But be open to look for a job in several cities that you and your wife will be interested in living. At least that will help expand your opportunity.

Good luck.

Hi jb09,

Thank you for your valuable advice. Like you, my wife and I also went to Australia (Sydney and Melbourne), also for one week to validate our visa last year. We were there in August. My first choice is to reside in Perth, as it is near to my home country, whereas, my second choice is Melbourne, then follow by Brisbane or Sydney.

I had worked in a Swiss global company, which has office in Sydney, and also in an Australian company in my country. However, I feel that my work experience is still very lacking. Therefore, I worry that I am not able to find a job in Australia.

I have heard a friend, a civil engineer, tried unsuccessfully to secure a job from Australia. As for me, I will try to find a job from my own country first. If it is unsuccessful, I will move over to Austrlaia to look for job. By the way, are you currently residing in Australia or US?

Thanks for the job websites. I appreciate your kindness. Yes, I know that my visa only valid for 5 years. However, apart from the obligation to stay there for 2 out of the 5 years to retain my visa, I can actually move over just before it hits my 5th year. It can never be an option for me take up dual citizenship.

Finding a job sometime does depend on time and chance. You are right, by opening my job opportunity to several cities, it will increase my success in finding a job. For your information, with Australia PR, you can even work in New Zealand.

Josh,
I am currently living in th US. It is not possible for me to move to Australia without a job lined up due to financial obligations herein the US. Trying to apply from abroad. I thought that an Australian citizenship is required to work in NZ? I guess not. I have no interest in working in NZ because the time I spend there doesn't apply to the two yr requirement for me to renew the Australia PR visa.

You mentioned below that you might plan to move to Australia on your 5th yr. I think you will have a problem renewing your PR visa if you do not fulfill the 2yr residency requirement within that 5 yrs
as stated in the Australian Immigration website information. This has nothing to do with specifically applying for Australian citizenship. It will affect you from being able to return to Australia since your PR visa expired. In reading the information, it seems that the Australian Immigration does not just accept any excuse to why a person was not able to stay in the country for the residency requirement to renew. I guess confirm with an Australian Immigration officer before you do something that will enable you to renew your PR visa if you decide to live and work in Australia.

Some say that sometimes the people with less experience 0-5 yrs, might have easier time to get a job in some industries. Just because they would have lower salaries compared to more experienced. And will stay with that company a little longer. It all depends on the needs if the specific company.

joshuatan wrote:

My wife asks me to look for job from here, before moving over to Australia. Once I secure a job, she also advice me to move over alone first, settle down, say around 1 year later, before moving her and our baby to Perth.

Dear Josh,

This is what most of my friends with families did and I feel that it`s probably the best plan after talking to them (I don`t have first hand experience myself as I`m not married). Ideally, if you can start applying for work immediately upon getting your visa, it would maximise your chances of getting a job before the validity of your visa runs out. However, if you do start to run short of time, you might have to leave your job and come over to search, or you might run the risk of your visa expiring (as JB09 mentioned). For me, I got my visa almost two years ago, but was unable to come over due to other reasons until this year. With three years to go on my visa, I decided to resign from my job and move here from Kuala Lumpur as I didnt want to leave it until the  last moment. I did start to apply for jobs in the few months prior to moving but didn`t turn up anything. Of course, I would have preferred to have secured a job before coming but things are not always perfect :)

Rgds,
Hock Siew

jb09 wrote:

I'm coming from the US and work for a global company. I was not told that I needed local Australian work experience. Maybe it was because one of our offices is located there in Australia? But they did tell me that companies prefer that I already move to the country before starting the interviews. However, my plan is to first find a job before actually moving there.

Dear JB09 and Josh,

I think it very much depends on the employer. Many of my friends who have migrated feel that local experience is a major factor, although not necessarily in all cases. Certainly JB09`s case is an example. On the other hand, I have also had experiences whereby the employer wanted local experience. I received a call from a recruitment agent some time back asking about my background. When she found out that I had no local experience (she must have missed the information on the application), she told me that she could not proceed as her client insisted on local experience.

With regards to being physically in the country, I think that some employers like that because it simplifies the interview process. But I also understand that many employers want the candidate in the country because they are concerned that the candidate will not make the move at the end of the day or change his/her mind about migrating at the last moment. If you have already resigned from your last job and moved here, they feel more confident that you will take up the position. A case in point is one which a recruitment agent mentioned to me, where the candidate did not show up at the last moment, and of course, it made their client very upset.

As JB09 said, every case is different and one can only try and choose the route that best fits him or her :)

Best Wishes and Good Luck,
Hock Siew

joshuatan wrote:

Thanks for the job websites. I appreciate your kindness. Yes, I know that my visa only valid for 5 years. However, apart from the obligation to stay there for 2 out of the 5 years to retain my visa, I can actually move over just before it hits my 5th year. It can never be an option for me take up dual citizenship.

Dear Josh,

I heard that you can move to Australia anytime before your visa expires. But if you do so with less than 2 years to go, once the 5 years expire, you won`t be able to leave the country until you fulfill the residency requirements (stayed 2 years); or if you have to do so for any reason, then you might fail the residency requirements. I`m not sure if it varies for different visa types or whether it`s different in the past; but it`s a good idea to confirm so that it does not jeopardise your PR.

Rgds,
Hock Siew

Hock Siew,

Yes, it is possible to move to Australia anytime before my visa expires. If I leave at the end of the 5th year, I have to stay in Australia for at least 2 years, before moving out of Australia.

I have worked in an Australia company, which has office in Singapore. Beside, my present job also has office in Australia. As for my new job next month, it also has office in Australia. I hope all these experience can so called substitute the local experience, and help me secure a job in Australia. Alternately, after working for a few years in my new job, I can ask for transfer to Australia. This will help to save the hassle in looking for a job when I am in Australia.

May I know your view?

Josh

Dear Josh,

Certainly, I think that it`s best to try and get a job if possible before coming over. I couldn`t come earlier because of other reasons and I didn`t want to leave it too late, so I resigned and came over without first securing a job. As we mentioned in these threads, I think it is more difficult to get a job from overseas, but sometimes depending on circumstances, you might be able to. The other good option is what you mentioned, to ask your employer to transfer you, but it depends on whether they are willing. Some are, but not all will do so. However, if it is a new job, I guess you will have to work there a while before you can ask for a transfer to Australia.

Rgds,
Hock Siew

I live in Penang Malaysia and is planning to move to Australia anytime after the coming Chinese New Year. Have started applying for jobs online since August, got two interviews by recruitment agents through Skype and phone; one face-to-face interview just last week. So far, my effort has been unsuccessful after sending out hundreds of application. It is really a challenge to apply from abroad eventhough we now live in this global village, it is quite ironical.

www.ktdesignsuccess.com

hallo there malaysians..i'm new here ad i've just been thinking about moving to Oz yesterday..so i really have no idea about how to get there..im not demanding about the job over there, as long as i can make it for a living for me alone as im not married yet..so i really need help for those who know what to do for me to go there..

Hi,
Sorry to intrude but I am a Singaporean who has just moved to Perth.

Apart from getting used to life in Perth with hardly any friends, I am also having a hard time looking for a job and naturally it is very discouraging. Yes, luck has a lot to do with it but I find most jobs relate to mining, In my opinion, I feel that local experience is really important and it is finding the employer that will give the opportunity for a newbie like me.

Good luck to all!

Hi there my husband is an engineer in oil and gas with 5 years work experience in Malaysia. We are thinking of making the move to Perth. Any idea what the expected salary for an engineer starting off in Perth is?
How about living cost in Perth..Heard that it is higher compared to Sydney and Melbourne. Any truth to that?

An online search should give you the salary figures.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com  this site gives a lot of information

Perth is now the most expensive city in Australia to live in. All due to the mining boom and plenty of money thrown around by cashed up workers. Rents are really high as is food costs.

This may change for the better soon as the boom becomes a bust as the mines are not undertaking any more exploration work and are putting staff off. Oil and gas is still going ahead okay.

Hi guys,

I have partnered with a multi billion company called Isagenix. It is a nutritional cleansing program that has solutions for weight loss, energy and performance, youthful ageing and wealth creation.
It sells it's products through network marketing.

If anyone would like to find out more about the products and the business model, do not hesitate to inbox me.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Mel

Hi
I am planning to pursue my postgraduate studies in perth. I m planning to move in with my spouse and toddler next year.
Anyone could please advice me the best option :  Is it better to ask my husband to move to Oz first to secure a job ? Or move in together?
My husband works in subsea equipment production company. Its a Norwegian company with a branch in Oz as well. How would be the job opportunities?

Oz is suffering a lot from the crisis now. Many Ozs are looking for jobs and cost of living is crazy high specially to rent a place.

Carreful not to spend all your savings and nothing left to go back home... Plus 1 year to recover the move.

However if you plan to invest a lot of cash in your own good business without having to succeed in  the next 3 years thats a different story.

Good luck with your choice.

Hi Malex1,

Thank you for the feedback but this thread is rather old. I suggest that you contribute on more recent threads for the benefit of members.

All the best,
Bhavna